Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IOS 6.0.2

• 18-12-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

As the title says just updating on my iPhone now, states fixing bug for Wifi.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

As the title says just updating on my iPhone now, states fixing bug for Wifi.

This is an iPhone 5 and iPad mini update only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I hope so, Apple have replaced my phone twice now because of the wifi issues, 3rd phone is still buggy on wifi...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Usuallu update over WiFi, but i was doing a back up on the laptop and saif feck it, ill do it through iTunes, fcuking thing is after crashing my laptop and stuck the phone into DFU mode!
    After taking me an hour and 15 mins to get if fixed, with constant restores and rebooting of the laptop.....so pi55ed off now, and tired :D

And to top it off, i had no WiFi issues at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Update went as smooth as silk ... all done in a few minutes through iTunes. Nifty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Updated ota. No issues and took a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Had no issues updating OTA my wifi was dropping the signal but better now after the update.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just updated. Wifi in work just went from one bar to three.
    (And it's actually quicker, too.)

Nice one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

12.15 again i was finished last night!
    Dont know what went wrong, but it went as smooth as a lion bar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

No problems for me earlier either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

The problem I had been having (unable to connect to app store when on WPA2) persists. Changing to WPA solves it. I've had the problem on both an iPhone 4 and a new iPhone 5, so unless I'm extraordinarily unlucky it's hot hardware related.

At this point I've made the assumption that Apple either can't or aren't bothered to fix it for the many, many people having the same issue. They can get away with it in part down to the arrogance of their supporters who persist with telling us that there is no problem as not everyone has the same issue.

When I spoke to their support team they suggested buying an Apple router, despite the fact my Netgear router worked just fine on iOS 5. It's fair to say I haven't included it on my Santa list.:)

• Advertisement

Netgear routers cause problems with a lot of the latest smart phones. There's nothing wrong with the iPhone.

Not at all. My router worked perfectly with iOS 5.There have been no router upgrades since then. Even if, as people are suggesting, Apple have begun to introduce some wireless standard properly in IOS 6 that they previously had not and Netgear's router does not comply with the recognised standard, Apple would surely have advised people beforehand based on their own tests that people would need to either change their routers or contact Netgear if they ran into wifi issues. It would have saved them an extraordinary amount of time and money in customer support. The fact they are still trying to address wifi issues tells its own story. Apple haven't said anything at all. Why in the world would they adopt that approach if they are not at fault? All of the confusion is being caused by their silence.

It's a software developer's duty, particularly in the case of devices such as these where they are, by their very nature, updated regularly, to make sure the software is (reasonably) backwards compatible. You can't simply decide to abandon a standard which has worked for millions of people and, without telling anyone, change to another which affects (an admittedly small) number of your consumers (if that is what they have done).

To use a basic analogy, it's like buying a car and as you're driving along the motorway it splutters to a halt. You contact the manufacturer and they claim they've never heard of the problem. You search online and it seems that they may have done something to your car, without warning, which means it's not compatible with certain stretches of the motorway. Even if it can't be fixed, they can help you to avoid it.

Still looks like a Netgear without a firmware update.

Piliger wrote: »
    Still looks like a Netgear without a firmware update.

There are, and have been, no firmware upgrades for my router since around the time of iOS 5. The only change has been in the iPhone's software.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

brophs wrote: »
    Not at all. My router worked perfectly with iOS 5.There have been no router upgrades since then. Even if, as people are suggesting, Apple have begun to introduce some wireless standard properly in IOS 6 that they previously had not and Netgear's router does not comply with the recognised standard, Apple would surely have advised people beforehand based on their own tests that people would need to either change their routers or contact Netgear if they ran into wifi issues. It would have saved them an extraordinary amount of time and money in customer support. The fact they are still trying to address wifi issues tells its own story. Apple haven't said anything at all. Why in the world would they adopt that approach if they are not at fault? All of the confusion is being caused by their silence.

It's a software developer's duty, particularly in the case of devices such as these where they are, by their very nature, updated regularly, to make sure the software is (reasonably) backwards compatible. You can't simply decide to abandon a standard which has worked for millions of people and, without telling anyone, change to another which affects (an admittedly small) number of your consumers (if that is what they have done).

To use a basic analogy, it's like buying a car and as you're driving along the motorway it splutters to a halt. You contact the manufacturer and they claim they've never heard of the problem. You search online and it seems that they may have done something to your car, without warning, which means it's not compatible with certain stretches of the motorway. Even if it can't be fixed, they can help you to avoid it.

Apple never admitted they knew of a problem, no matter how widespread, until they had a fix for it. We had to tell customers we knew nothing about the notorious iBook logic board problems, despite getting thousands of calls about them. Apple later did a repair programme for them.

Advertisement