Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a blu ray player for 'smart' functions

• 18-12-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Our old DVD player (one of those perfectly functional cheap & nasty multi region settable ones that cost something like €40 a few years back) is in need of replacement.

I don't particularly want blu ray for the quality, but I like the idea of the smart TV bit that is being touted. We will have wired ethernet beside the TV point, so internet access is a given.

My problem is that the whole smart TV thing is a bit vague. Most of the reviews I read are from the US or UK and I gather that most of the smart goodness that works for them won't work for us for various territorial reasons.

I guess the basics would be a player that at least supported YouTube, RTE player & C4 player. Anything above this is a bonus. I gather that BBC player won't work for territorial reasons. Things like netflix would be interesting, but being a cheapskate I'm mostly interested in things I can get for free. Although now that I look at it, €7 a month doesn't seem too bad.

I tried talking to some of the good folks in the electronics shops of South Dublin this evening, but we couldn't seem to get beyond "ah yeah, they're smart TV yokes alright". I couldn't get anyone to say "yes, this supports (say) netflix in Ireland without having to do anything illegal."

Can anyone recommend a good blu-ray player with smarts which they know to work with multiple services in Ireland?

If it helps, we're about to go all Samsung over Christmas with some of their tablet devices & already have 2 Samsung phones. I don't *need* them all to talk together, but if they can do funky things because they are all Samsung, then so much the better.

Thanks,

z

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I got a cheap smart Bluray and tbh I wasn't impressed. its ok, but its got no firmware updates for the newer apps like RTE Player. Also its slow with Blurays. I should have got a player that played Blurays faster, better.

For the smart TV functions and streaming I'm thinking of trying a Rasberry PI or an old PC connected to the TV. Which you'll always be able to update yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bgamer

I've been on the hunt for a decent smart dvd/bluray player for the past week now.

For the record I have a rapsberry pi and one purpose, apart from programming and linux, was to use it as a media player for my tv. It fits the bill more than perfectly, you can use it as a full fledged computer with a full browser which recently got flash support. However, it is seriously underpowered and struggles with playing a small video on youtube. Being able to browse to any website and hopefully play any streaming media was the pipe dream. However, it did not come to pass.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I've seen quite a few smart players out there, which although wouldn't be anywhere near the efficiency or speed of a laptop or desktop but should do a semi-decent job. There's a handful which have only a single or few 'apps' like just youtube or that and netflix, bbc iplayer etc (most of these wouldn't work in the republic just so you know). These seem to be restricted to only those that come with the device, don't think you can download anymore online.

Then there's ones where you can connect to its proprietary market and download more apps or other services. Panasonic has Viera connect and lg has its own app market.

I've heard there's ones with full browsers which should function just like a web browser on a computer and shouldn't restrict you to what you can surf to or use. Those would be the ones to aim for, but it sounds like a urban myth at the moment. However, the one where you can potentially download more apps seem the middle ground for the moment.

http://www.lg.com/za/blu-ray-dvd-players/lg-BP325-3d-blu-ray-player

that's something I was eying, samsung should be a good idea too considering their investment in the smartphone app arena. But how that translates to smart tv apps I could not tell. Good luck.

The only think you're going to be able to update yourself is a computer. Any consumer product will eventually be dropped off the firmware updates and will become obsolete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

BostonB wrote: »
    I got a cheap smart Bluray and tbh I wasn't impressed. its ok, but its got no firmware updates for the newer apps like RTE Player.

You don't necessarily have to update the firmware to support a new supplier. I have a Sony 2011 Blu-Ray player and I've often seen new streams becoming available without a firmware update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

BostonB wrote: »
    The only think you're going to be able to update yourself is a computer. Any consumer product will eventually be dropped off the firmware updates and will become obsolete.

What's so special about PCs? Dell, HP, Acer etc. will eventually stop supplying BIOS updates for any specific model of their PCs.

And just because a machine like a DVD player stops getting firmware updates doesn't make it obsolete.

• Advertisement

Perhaps I'm wrong, but my understanding of TV, DVD and Bluray players is they receive new apps and support for new technologies, primarily through firmware updates. Which is out of your control. A computer you can load any software you like on it, and you don't depend on the manufacturer for any updates.

A machines like DVD players become obsolete for things like streaming applications, if they don't support the format, or the technology, if theres a new client application required for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bgamer

Ok after several days, seems more like eons, of researching I've landed on something I'm very pleased with.

*** Ok bear in mind, when I was searching on the internet for the very same model I was getting, it showed component connections for old school tvs. Unfortunately the one I bought only has hdmi :( so till I get an HD tv tomorrow I won't be able to describe much details ****

The Samsung BDE-5500 3D Bluray player with Smart Hub has all the regular dvd/bluray with youtube, plus it has the ability to download more apps from samsung. Mind you there are Samsung players out there with JUST youtube on which you might not be able to get anything else. So make sure it says 'with Smart Hub'
    I got mine from www.expert.ie for a super incredible price. They seem to have sold out. But yeh basically go with something that can get more apps.

With LG, like I previously said it is the VIERA 'browser.' Anything that doesn't specifically state that will only have 1-4 apps. For Samsung it's the Smart Hub. The rest I'm not sure about. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭traco

Looking for a few pointers here and thought I'd keep it in this thread as it has answered several questions.

I'm looking for a smart Blu_ray, don't ming ordering online if needed. budget around €130-€170 Would like all options mentioned like smart hub, browsing, streaming etc and realise they will be limited compared to a PC.

I've been looking online and my head is getting melted so in the hope that someone has already reserached I'm taking the lazy option and asking here :D

More important factors are:

1 - USB drive capability for movies in xvid and x264 at a minimum and others if possible, either off a large stick or HDD
    2 - multi region capability or one that can be unlocked via remote without the need for hardware
    3 - Dual HDMI outputs would be nice
    4 - Wi Fi - nice but ethernet at a minimum
    5 - 3D would be nice but not critical

Brand not important once its a good model, preferance would be Samsung. Lg and Panasonic seem good but mult region on available via a hardware change so not ideal.

Thanks for reading and pointers appreciated.

coylemj wrote: »
    What's so special about PCs? Dell, HP, Acer etc. will eventually stop supplying BIOS updates for any specific model of their PCs.

And just because a machine like a DVD player stops getting firmware updates doesn't make it obsolete.

Only seeing this reply now. The bios for a PC and firmware for a DVD/BR player are not the same at all. The one on the PC you'll rarely need to update. Most of the software updates you'll ever need are in software not firmware like the Bios.

But on a Smart TV/DVD/BR its all in the firmware. So if someone brings out a new file format, or some app changes, like youtube, netflix, you're stuck unless there's a firmware update.

That said its a lot simpler to set up a DVD/BR player to use. But just to be aware that they may only be supported for so long.

Advertisement