Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win7 to vista - problems galore

Options
  • 18-12-2012 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭

I had a media pc running windows 7 ultimate. it had samsung allshare server and squeezebox server running on it, and all worked well. all media content was on the pc, and audio streamed to SB receiver fine, and movie/tv content streamed to tv witout hassel. could access the files on the pc from phone, tablet etc.

The hard disk crashed on the PC, so had to hook up another old Pc with vista ultimate OS. I installed the server software on to pc, and now for some reason the media randomly stops playing and moves on to playing the next file in the folder. checked all the network settings and all seems as it should. I did have some issues with shared folders that contains the media but thats sorted now. Any idea what would be causing this streaming problem?

I tried using the serviio dnla server too but the same problem occurs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

you put a hard drive with vista into the pc that originally had win 7?

if yes its crashing because the drivers are all wrong.

also vista is crap due to billions of bugs microsoft can't be bothered to fix why don't you just upgrade the os from vista to win 7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭LowOdour

you put a hard drive with vista into the pc that originally had win 7?

if yes its crashing because the drivers are all wrong.

also vista is crap due to billions of bugs microsoft can't be bothered to fix why don't you just upgrade the os from vista to win 7

No, the PC is different. As far as I remember, it had an old version of Ubuntu on it last year before I installed Vista on it. Pretty sure it was a clean wipe and that drivers would all be up to date. I would upgrade it to Win7, except my licence is for 64-bit. The vista machine only has 1 gig Ram, so wouldnt be optimal for Win7 Ultimate 64bit.

I tried something else this morning. My main pc is my XP machine (which the wife uses for work). I installed serviio dlna server. On my TV, I tested a few films out, and runs perfectly. Each time I went back to check TV, films were still playing so its definitely something funny on the vista machine

LowOdour wrote: »
    No, the PC is different. As far as I remember, it had an old version of Ubuntu on it last year before I installed Vista on it. Pretty sure it was a clean wipe and that drivers would all be up to date. I would upgrade it to Win7, except my licence is for 64-bit. The vista machine only has 1 gig Ram, so wouldnt be optimal for Win7 Ultimate 64bit.

ah ok... ram is cheap these days.... pop 4gb if u can into it and 64bit win 7 will run sweet

BTW your license key should work for both the 32bit and 64bit version of windows 7 you have. ie: if you have a license key for 64bit home premium it will also work for the 32bit version of home premium. Only the license keys for 32bit versions and 64bit versions of win 7 professional vlk differ as far as i know

my home premium key works for both 32bit and 64bit installations. ive tested it.

win 7 32bit will run better than vista 32bit with only 1gb ram

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭LowOdour

ah ok... ram is cheap these days.... pop 4gb if u can into it and 64bit win 7 will run sweet

BTW your license key should work for both the 32bit and 64bit version of windows 7 you have. ie: if you have a license key for 64bit home premium it will also work for the 32bit version of home premium. Only the license keys for 32bit versions and 64bit versions of win 7 professional vlk differ as far as i know

my home premium key works for both 32bit and 64bit installations. ive tested it.

win 7 32bit will run better than vista 32bit with only 1gb ram

I've left all my money in the shops the last week so wont be able to fork out on Ram before the new year!
    I ll see if I can get a copy of Win7 ultimate 32 bit and try the license on that. cheers! still want to figure out what is happening though...i'm a glutton for punishment!

LowOdour wrote: »
    I've left all my money in the shops the last week so wont be able to fork out on Ram before the new year!
    I ll see if I can get a copy of Win7 ultimate 32 bit and try the license on that. cheers! still want to figure out what is happening though...i'm a glutton for punishment!

you should be able to download a copy of win 7 ultimate from microsoft and just use your key with that

btw how bad did your Hard drive crash on the main pc? is it dead or just needs a reformat? you could try pick up a cheap secondhand drive from adverts to get the main pc up n running

• Advertisement
Advertisement