Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caramelised red onions VS red onion marmalade

Options
  • 18-12-2012 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭

whats the difference?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Caramelized red onions = you just need onions?

red onion marmalade = based on a few recipes that I looked at you need a lot more ingredients

• Registered Users Posts: 39,418 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Caramelised onions are onions (any type) cooked slowly in a little oil. As when making french onion soup.

(Red) Onion marmalade is made similar to fruit marmalade with the addition of extra sugar. It's much sweeter, goes well with cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Mellor wrote: »
    Caramelised onions are onions (any type) cooked slowly in a little oil. As when making french onion soup.

(Red) Onion marmalade is made similar to fruit marmalade with the addition of extra sugar. It's much sweeter, goes well with cheese.

plus 1,
    I made red onion marmalade yesterday, onions are cooked in vinegar and sugar with some spices of choice for about 2-3 hours till translucent,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭sporina

sdp wrote: »
    plus 1,
    I made red onion marmalade yesterday, onions are cooked in vinegar and sugar with some spices of choice for about 2-3 hours till translucent,

so the difference is the vinegar?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,418 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sporina wrote: »
    so the difference is the vinegar?
    The difference is the sugar.

Like the difference between fried strawberries and strawberry jam :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement