Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes stores point village

Options
  • 19-12-2012 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Does anyone know what the story is with the new dunnes in the point village?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I've heard it's to open some time next year. Apparently Dunnes were insisting on the square being paved before they opened, and thats happening now. May not be 100% accurate, but I've heard it from a few different sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

The recent court decision against Dunnes in relation to the Ferrybank shopping centre in Waterford effectively means that any further delaying tactics by Dunnes with regard to fitting out and opening up their anchor tenancy store in the Point Village would be a futile exercise.

Dunnes already have a determination from the Commercial court specifying that they must open up their point village store once seven other outlets open up in the centre.

This should now be a relatively straight forward occurance given the success of the Gibson Hotel and the ODEON Cinema.

If all else fails Harry should be able to entice in the magic number with the aid of a special low rent allowance for the first 12 months.

Expect to see Dunnes open by next October at latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Still not a single retail unit open in the Point Village - doesn't look good re: Dunnes moving in. Pity, a decent supermarket would do wonders in the whole docklands/IFSC area.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CatLou

Any updates on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ceebee1981

I think an Investment Fund bought the Point Village, so I'd say it won't be too long before shops start appearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 motty27

The new aldi that opened isn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CatLou

ceebee1981 wrote: »
    I think an Investment Fund bought the Point Village, so I'd say it won't be too long before shops start appearing.

One can only hope (:
    No point in having it empty and I can see a lot of people shopping there... if only there were any shops. The Odeon is doing fairly well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I say although the supermarket may get customers. It will find it very difficult to cover overheads. I say when they signed the lease they expected the Docklands full of people. Not mainly empty lots and half finished buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

gawker wrote: »
    Still not a single retail unit open in the Point Village - doesn't look good re: Dunnes moving in. Pity, a decent supermarket would do wonders in the whole docklands/IFSC area.

Went in there for first time today. Surreal! It's like being in a vacant multi floor shopping centre with all units boarded up. The cinema along with a Costa Coffee are up on the very top floor that you have to access by about 5 escalators. Interestingly, a Starbucks sign was being put up on a unit currently being furnished at the front entrance opposite the 3 Arena. Slowly coming to life maybe but I don't see Dunnes coming at all as the legal dispute with the owners still appears to be outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Given the long running legal wrangle its hard to see Dunnes ever opening a store in the Point Village, which come to think of it might not be a bad thing. With 4 new major office buildings with a capacity for 4000 office workers and a further 1000 students in the new accommodation buildings and the new hotels opening nearby and the new cruise liner terminal there will be no shortage of retail outlets opening.

10 years after the initial wave of developments the area will finally reach its potential over the next 30 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

subpar wrote: »
    Given the long running legal wrangle its hard to see Dunnes ever opening a store in the Point Village, which come to think of it might not be a bad thing. With 4 new major office buildings with a capacity for 4000 office workers and a further 1000 students in the new accommodation buildings and the new hotels opening nearby and the new cruise liner terminal there will be no shortage of retail outlets opening.

10 years after the initial wave of developments the area will finally reach its potential over the next 30 months.

Dunnes is reasonably priced. You cant expect people to take the Luas to Jervis to do a weeks shop, as they cant afford to do their shopping in a spar or centra. The likes of a big supermarket keeps other shops a bit more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

subpar wrote: »

The potential you list above makes me think of a Navy Pier in Chicago or Darling Harbour shops in Sydney. Both slightly away from the traditional city centre cores and surrounded by water with shopping centre type buildings filled with leisure, tourist and entertainment type businesses (restaurants/cafes/bars/gift shops/fun amenities). Maybe a similar type venture could work here with the 3 Arena, Odeon, Convention Centre and cruise liner business acting as supporting anchors.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,861 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Starbucks has opened

Advertisement