Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal abuse or attack on a post ?

Options
  • 19-12-2012 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭

Whats the point.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Scioch wrote: »
    So.... Someone gives me a heap of abuse and I say the following "The hypocrisy of your pretentious tripe is stomach churning."

A fine example of irony.

Behaving in an ungentlemanly manner and getting away with it takes more skill than just using a few fancy words. You went over-board and got called out on it. Seems fair enough to me.

/opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Thread can be locked. How dumb am I to think anyone here actually gives a shít. I'll let myself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Well it was nice of you to give us an opportunity to help you...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Dav wrote: »
    Well I guess it goes back to his DRP thread and feeling his definition of attack the post and not the poster was right vs. the reviewers oppinion.

Which brings up a question; as this looks like a case of red rage closing moment would it be possible to have a 7 day cool down on closing accounts? As in if you don't log back in and click "stop closing" the account is closed and scrambled at that time? This would prevent a red rage moment be permanent closing and allow people to calm down and realize they overreacted. If they still feel the account should be closed it will be done automatically after 7 days or something along those lines. Would it still be in line with the EU requirements and would it be technically possible and/or wanted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gimmmeabreak

Dav wrote: »

You guys had plenty of opportunity so dont pull that crap. I started help desk threads, dispute threads, I had pm discussions with cmods and admins.

Bottom line is that the mods of the rugby forum havent the time or ability to actually mod the forum. They card random posts to make it look like something is being done or throw out warnings or lock threads so they dont have to actually do anything. There is no consistency at all and its all just selective application of the laws to avoid actually doing anything about the problems that are there.

Whenever they do take an interests its a mystery, nothing on thread to indicate anything was done, and tell you to mind your business when you ask via pm. Regulars do what they want on there and are clearly on a different level than new users. I was carded for posting in an aggressive manner. I said "fcuk em" in relation to a team who someone said were unlucky to lose. Mods didnt like that, no problem with the usual bunch throwing out crap though and nobody gives a shít except when attention is drawn to it and then whoever does that will likely end up on the wrong end of the mods. If you respond in kind YOUR the problem. If you have an opinion that others dont like YOUR the problem. Beasty even called my discussion of my opinion abusive because he was so deep trying to justify the mods decision he was trying to argue that I shouldnt have even had an opinion ffs. Every single person I spoke to about this told me they dont have time to talk about it. They state their opinion and then pull the "I dont have time" card when it comes to justifying it as its clear at that point they have back themselves into a corner by trying to justify rather than try to explain why things happened the way they did.

So dont act like I didnt try to get this sorted because I did. I went through every avenue available to me. And I met resistance every step of the way in people with no interest in doing anything but justifying the original decisions and directing attention away from the lack of action in regards other posts. And you think that a feedback thread will do anything ? Whatever I talk about will be turned into the usual crap to have a few digs at anyone with an issue with the gang by the likes of insect overlord up there. Its pointless. Absolutely pointless.

So rather than keep playing along with the charade of you guys giving shít about anything but covering your own arses I'm just gonna go. Take what I have said whatever way you please it doesnt matter to me. All I ever tried to do my discuss my opinions in a reasonable way. Its a pity that doesnt fit in with what you guys want from the place. See ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I think dav is referring to this thread in particular which you edited and left 2 and a half hours after you started it, which was close enough to midnight on a work night. Expecting an admin or staff response in that timeframe at that time of night is unfair. So, yes, you left but dont blame us for your impatience in this instance.

As to the rest of your post:

prove it. please provide proof that "random posts are carded" and that threads are locked so they wont have to do any work. If you can provide proof then I am more than happy to listen but to start a thread here, get one response from an non-admin / non-staff member and stomp off in a strop because you're being ignored is very unfair and does not do much to gain any sympathy. For me it does the opposite, why should I bother to engage with you? based on this behaviour, unless I agree with you you're just going to claim I was against you all along and that I'm in on some conspiracy or cover up that you are trying to expose.

If you agree to drop the agressive posturing and the "**** you" attitude then I will happily discuss the issues with you. If not then fair enough, cya. its your choice but i would point out that if its all so pointless, why bother re-regging to make a point?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I think the OP was annoyed at his treatment in the Rugby and DRP and then Insect OverLord (another mod) post was the straw that broke the camels back.
    It is very unfortunate to lose a poster with 3,000+ posts over something like this.

Bear in mind I don't know his posting history or whether he has had multiple infractions bans previously.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Whatever I talk about will be turned into the usual crap to have a few digs at anyone with an issue with the gang by the likes of insect overlord up there.

I don't even know who the Rugby mods are these days. I very rarely post in that forum. I just took a look at your post and made a call on it, seeing as you came here looking for feedback.

If you'd posted it in a forum I mod I'd have called you out for "breach of peace/being a dick" instead of Personal Abuse, but the end result would still have been the same.

It has nothing to do with gangs or having digs at people, so get that notion out of your head straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I think the OP was annoyed at his treatment in the Rugby and DRP and then Insect OverLord (another mod) post was the straw that broke the camels back.
    It is very unfortunate to lose a poster with 3,000+ posts over something like this.

Bear in mind I don't know his posting history or whether he has had multiple infractions bans previously.

Given that they re regged it's not that they are 'lost'.

LoLth wrote: »
    I think dav is referring to this thread in particular which you edited and left 2 and a half hours after you started it, which was close enough to midnight on a work night. Expecting an admin or staff response in that timeframe at that time of night is unfair. So, yes, you left but dont blame us for your impatience in this instance.

As to the rest of your post:

prove it. please provide proof that "random posts are carded" and that threads are locked so they wont have to do any work. If you can provide proof then I am more than happy to listen but to start a thread here, get one response from an non-admin / non-staff member and stomp off in a strop because you're being ignored is very unfair and does not do much to gain any sympathy. For me it does the opposite, why should I bother to engage with you? based on this behaviour, unless I agree with you you're just going to claim I was against you all along and that I'm in on some conspiracy or cover up that you are trying to expose.

If you agree to drop the agressive posturing and the "**** you" attitude then I will happily discuss the issues with you. If not then fair enough, cya. its your choice but i would point out that if its all so pointless, why bother re-regging to make a point?

I know he was referring to this thread but I'm pointing out there is more to it than just this thread. I didnt just storm off in a strop I decided that after all I have been through in relation to this a feedback thread wasnt going to achieve much.

I thought I was proving it when discussing it with the people I spoke to privately about it. I highlighted my posts I was pinged for and other posts of a similar nature which were common place and they drew a distinction between them. That distinction they refused to explain as I believe they have done whatever everyone I spoke to have and tried to justify the mods actions in relation to me as priority number one with all else falling outside anything to do with me. Where the cmod fell down in his argument was that he justified other posters attacks on me because my opinion created a stir. When I pointed out the fallacy of that argument he refused to discuss it any more. Usual stuff. State "Your wrong" and then "Oh jeez would ya look at the time I'm sorry thats all she wrote".

This isnt a "fcuk you" attitude. This is a "I give up" attitude. I reregged to make it clear that I didnt just have a fit over a red card and close my account. I decided to leave after it becoming clear at every turn there is no accountability in relation to how mods act. And as a result of that its incredibly hard to discuss anything with people who are allowed to be hostile to you and preface their posts with nasty comments while I was not allowed to do the same. You can only bear that so long before you start discussing things in that aggressive ignorant way yourself (in which case I have no doubt I'd have been quick to get the boot) or just leave.

I am doing you and Dav the courtesy of addressing what you are directing at me here btw. If you have no interest then by all means lock the thread and that will be that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Morag wrote: »
    Given that they re regged it's not that they are 'lost'.

Is this the comment of a poster who is going to stick around:confused:
    So rather than keep playing along with the charade of you guys giving shít about anything but covering your own arses I'm just gonna go. Take what I have said whatever way you please it doesnt matter to me. All I ever tried to do my discuss my opinions in a reasonable way. Its a pity that doesnt fit in with what you guys want from the place. See ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Is this the comment of a poster who is going to stick around:confused:

why did he edit his first post to say "what's the point" only to close and re-reg and start interacting on the thread again? what's the point in that?

I don't even know who the Rugby mods are these days. I very rarely post in that forum. I just took a look at your post and made a call on it, seeing as you came here looking for feedback.

If you'd posted it in a forum I mod I'd have called you out for "breach of peace/being a dick" instead of Personal Abuse, but the end result would still have been the same.

It has nothing to do with gangs or having digs at people, so get that notion out of your head straight away.

I tried to start a discussion on why there was a distinction between what I said and other posts. You ignored that and posted about irony and my supposed intention of trying to get away with an insult by using fancy words.

You had no interest in the actual topic of this thread and a quick glance at your posting history in feedback compounds the point. So stop pretending you are here for anything other than to have a few pops at easy targets.

I thought I was proving it when discussing it with the people I spoke to privately about it. I highlighted my posts I was pinged for and other posts of a similar nature which were common place and they drew a distinction between them. That distinction they refused to explain as I believe they have done whatever everyone I spoke to have and tried to justify the mods actions in relation to me as priority number one with all else falling outside anything to do with me.

The whole point of the Dispute Resolution Forum is to address the individual's cards/bans. It's not about saying "he/she did this too". You go to DRP to talk about your cards.

You use the Report Post button to highlight the trouble others are causing. You were then told to go to Feedback if you felt your reports weren't being dealt with. You got one answer here (from me) and then closed your account before anyone else could give you other opinions. How could that possibly help your cause in any way?

why did he edit his first post to say "what's the point" only to close and re-reg and start interacting on the thread again? what's the point in that?

How am I meant to know the answer to that? Ask the OP.

The whole point of the Dispute Resolution Forum is to address the individual's cards/bans. It's not about saying "he/she did this too". You go to DRP to talk about your cards.

You use the Report Post button to highlight the trouble others are causing. You were then told to go to Feedback if you felt your reports weren't being dealt with. You got one answer here (from me) and then closed your account before anyone else could give you other opinions. How could that possibly help your cause in any way?

I got a pop from you not an answer. And I've been in feedback before I know the circus it can turn into. I knew nothing good was gonna come from this and your post highlighted that fact for me.

How am I meant to know the answer to that? Ask the OP.

Answer is in my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Since you're back do you want to get an admin to restore your original post? I mean while you're here you've got the attention of people who are prepared to listen, might as well take them up on that opportunity?

Since you're back do you want to get an admin to restore your original post? I mean while you're here you've got the attention of people who are prepared to listen, might as well take them up on that opportunity?

The original post was a bit convoluted. Its hard to fit all the issues I had in relation to the modding of the forum into one issue. So I asked what the distinction was between my description of a post "Thats hypocritical pretentious tripe" and others posts of "Thats horseshít" "Your analysis isnt worth a curse" "Complete and utter rubbish".

The view of the cmod was that it was all my fault for expressing an opinion that created a stir. Others hostility was justified as they took issue with what I said. And I shouldnt have stuck to that opinion because of that. Yet the complete opposite is the case for my post where I shouldnt have responded, just report the post and move on.

There is just a whole mess of different reasoning that has been given to me to explain certain actions over my time there. And to me it all just ends up with those actions being justified by any means necessary and all attempts to bring attention to the fact that they contradict the reasons given for other actions to be brushed off as nothing to do with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just out of interest, why did you not PM myself regarding this issue? Every issue you've had previously you've PM'd me, and to the best of my ability of I've given you a reasoned response.

I know you think that mods need to have all the time in the world to be mods, but they don't - we have jobs, families, wives, girlfriends (ultimate timesinks!! :P just kidding, she may be reading this...), kids, etc., etc. To think that we can enroll ideal candidates that also have most of the day free to moderate a forum is naive I think. That's why there's a list of active mods at any one time in the rugby forum.

I don't know who you PM'd, but I don't think it's fair to say you were ignored if you didn't try PM'ing some of the other mods.

As somebody said previously, it's a shame to see someone like yourself close their account - in fairness I don't think your a troublesome poster or anything like that, but I do think you're reading too finely into how a forum is or should be moderated. I mean, essentially the core of this argument is consistency? Boards is a free service, it's never going to provide 100% perfect service (apart from the classic rock forum). All that we mods can do is strive to make it as an enjoyable place for discussion as possible - this means that not every one will be happy, but if the majority are then we're doing something right. I mean what are really discussing here - you receiving a card for a post that everyone but you sees as justified? Or that other posters aren't receiving the same treatment? Because if it's the latter then you know this to be untrue, and ofcourse we can always provide posts that have been actioned to prove it.

As another poster, not a mod, my recommendation is if you get riled up by a post - just ignore it. Is it worth all these disputes, feedback threads, and re-regs?

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Just out of interest, why did you not PM myself regarding this issue? Every issue you've had previously you've PM'd me, and to the best of my ability of I've given you a reasoned response.

I pm'd the mod who was active in the thread and got no response so went to a cmod with the wider issue. I think we spoke of something similar before about what constituted aggressive posting as you were the one who pinged me for the "fcuk em" post and the "Thats your argument shot to shít" I think. If I remember correctly you felt I was constantly arguing about that original card and refused to speak any more about it as you didnt have the time. But it was the same issue, I couldnt understand why it wasnt acceptable on my part but seemed to be a regular occurrence in the threads from other posters.
    I know you think that mods need to have all the time in the world to be mods, but they don't - we have jobs, families, wives, girlfriends (ultimate timesinks!! :P just kidding, she may be reading this...), kids, etc., etc. To think that we can enroll ideal candidates that also have most of the day free to moderate a forum is naive I think. That's why there's a list of active mods at any one time in the rugby forum.

I dont think that at all I just feel as though maybe the current mods dont actually have the time seeing as there never anyone around on match day, other than you and justsomebloke the others are a rare sight. Justsomebloke doesnt answer pm's and when dealing with you I was told you just didnt have the time to discuss something you felt you had addressed already (by simply arguing that what I did breached the charter and in the case of others just report it etc etc) when I broached the subject of the inconsistency in relation to my cards and posts which were acceptable.
    I don't know who you PM'd, but I don't think it's fair to say you were ignored if you didn't try PM'ing some of the other mods.

I pm'd the mod who issued the card and dealt with the thread. I got no response. I then went to a cmod. I just felt upwards was the way to go.
    As somebody said previously, it's a shame to see someone like yourself close their account - in fairness I don't think your a troublesome poster or anything like that, but I do think you're reading too finely into how a forum is or should be moderated. I mean, essentially the core of this argument is consistency? Boards is a free service, it's never going to provide 100% perfect service (apart from the classic rock forum). All that we mods can do is strive to make it as an enjoyable place for discussion as possible - this means that not every one will be happy, but if the majority are then we're doing something right. I mean what are really discussing here - you receiving a card for a post that everyone but you sees as justified? Or that other posters aren't receiving the same treatment? Because if it's the latter then you know this to be untrue, and ofcourse we can always provide posts that have been actioned to prove it.

It is the latter and its not at all untrue. Whether you can produce some posts that have been actioned isnt the issue. The issue is that its not always actioned in fact more often than not it isnt. But my particular issue is that in the instances where I have received cards I have not been the aggressor and not the only one who breached the charter. Yet my understanding is that no matter what happens mods take the view that its two people having a row and ping both or tell them not to post regardless of where the problem lies. In the recent case I'm not trying to argue I did nothing wrong. I'm saying why am I seen to be more out of line than others ? I was verbally abused and then I attacked his post. Out of line yes but compared to how everyone else was dealing with me when I was making my point as civilly as I could ? No.
    As another poster, not a mod, my recommendation is if you get riled up by a post - just ignore it. Is it worth all these disputes, feedback threads, and re-regs?

I'm done here because I got tired dealing with the hostility in the forum. So clearly I couldnt just ignore it, so worth it ? No, I didnt get anywhere.

I've gotten drawn back into this and I really didnt mean to. I've outlined my reasons for closing my account and coming back with this one. I've went through my issue and whatnot and I really have no interest in going over it all again, making the same points I've made before and getting the same replies.

You guys dont agree with me or think consistency is impossible or that the best way to deal with hostility in the forums is to dole out cards in random order and advise people who have a problem with that to ignore it then so be it. Hope that works out for you but it wasnt working for me.

So Happy Christmas and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I know at the time of writing this you've closed the account, however in the spirit of the feedback forum I'll do just that - offer feedback - you're probably reading this anyhow. I'll keep my answers brief.
    I pm'd the mod who was active in the thread and got no response so went to a cmod with the wider issue. I think we spoke of something similar before about what constituted aggressive posting as you were the one who pinged me for the "fcuk em" post and the "Thats your argument shot to shít" I think.

Just to clarify, I pinged you for the 'fcuk em' comment, not the other IIRC.
    If I remember correctly you felt I was constantly arguing about that original card and refused to speak any more about it as you didnt have the time.

Yes, this is true - because you kept bringing up your red card issued for the comment above (which was resolved in a dispute thread) and using it as a yard stick. We were going around in circles, and frankly you were the only one who couldn't see a difference between your post which was infracted and others that you thought in your opinion warranted a red card.
    But it was the same issue, I couldnt understand why it wasnt acceptable on my part but seemed to be a regular occurrence in the threads from other posters.

As I said to you previously, just because you think these posts were similar to your offending post, they were not.
    I dont think that at all I just feel as though maybe the current mods dont actually have the time seeing as there never anyone around on match day, other than you and justsomebloke the others are a rare sight. Justsomebloke doesnt answer pm's and when dealing with you I was told you just didnt have the time to discuss something you felt you had addressed already (by simply arguing that what I did breached the charter and in the case of others just report it etc etc) when I broached the subject of the inconsistency in relation to my cards and posts which were acceptable.

As I mentioned above - I didn't have the time to quite simply re-hash your argument every time you felt a red card for a post was also warranted in the same sense your offending post was.
    I pm'd the mod who issued the card and dealt with the thread. I got no response. I then went to a cmod. I just felt upwards was the way to go.

That's fair enough. A mod didn't respond to you - that's hardly being ignored by all the rugby forum mods.
    It is the latter and its not at all untrue. Whether you can produce some posts that have been actioned isnt the issue. The issue is that its not always actioned in fact more often than not it isnt. But my particular issue is that in the instances where I have received cards I have not been the aggressor and not the only one who breached the charter. Yet my understanding is that no matter what happens mods take the view that its two people having a row and ping both or tell them not to post regardless of where the problem lies. In the recent case I'm not trying to argue I did nothing wrong. I'm saying why am I seen to be more out of line than others ? I was verbally abused and then I attacked his post. Out of line yes but compared to how everyone else was dealing with me when I was making my point as civilly as I could ? No.

You're contradicting yourself here. In a nutshell you've said 'I'm being singled out and showing me posts of other posts being punished won't change my mind'. Okay.
    I'm done here because I got tired dealing with the hostility in the forum. So clearly I couldnt just ignore it, so worth it ? No, I didnt get anywhere.

We're in agreement then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

In the thread you got banned from, you went WAY too far in your criticisms of Connacht, I very rarely post in the rugby forum but I'm a Connacht fan myself and what you were saying annoyed me a lot. And I can see why things got heated.

Things got heated, but stayed within the "attack the post, not the poster" rule at first. Then it got a bit personal between you and 4PP and red cards were handed to you both, which was fair enough because things got personal. Rugby mods got this right in my opinion.

I notice you have complained about mods not being around during matches? Well considering that rugby mods are probably rugby fans I would conclude that they like to actually watch the matches too? And to be able to sit back, relax and enjoy the match in peace instead of having their viewing of the match spoilt and interrupted by having to constantly monitor the match thread on boards. It happens on the soccer forums too, not unusual to see people asking "Where the hell are the mods?" in a match thread during a game.

The question of mod consistency? It's as good as we'll get, not perfect but they are volunteers, and they should be afforded a certain amount of respect. I wouldn't do it, by and large a thankless task in my opinion. Many of their decisions draw criticism and frustrated/angry PM's.

A red card which expired after 10 days, I don't see how that was worth all this bother to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Gimmeabreak has closed his account so he is no longer here to give his point of view or respond to any speculation.

closing thread as with the OP edited there really is nothing to discuss that does not require clarification or response from Scioch / Gimmeabreak.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement