Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nook HD+ - unable to use in ROI?

Options
  • 19-12-2012 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello,

I bought a Nook HD+ a few hours ago from Argos.
    When I went to the shop into the tablet, I found that only UK or US creditcards can be registered. THere was no way to add my VISA Debit card as at the billing info, Barnes and Noble asks for your postal code which I can't provide since I live in Ireland. I tried using a UK City/Postal code combination which did work, but didn't proceed to make purchases as it could be illegal to use a wrong combination of billing info / the info linked to the credit card.

Anyways, it is an outrage that this product is sold in Ireland when nobody in Ireland can use it! Even free apps are not available for download without adding a payment instrument (which can't be, for example, PayPal). Even if Free Apps were available in the story, you would still miss out on the biggest part of the Nook-experience: reading magazines and books.

I'm going back to Argos tomorrow to ask for a refund, but since this product is not in the 30-day-money-back warranty I fear that I won't get anything back. If that's the case, I've got nothing to lose and will probably try to root the tablet to a proper Android system.

If anyone else has more suggestions about how to fix this problem or experiences with it, please let me know.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's not illegal to use an incorrect address. Even if that does work now, what happens if they change their system in the future and then it stops working. I'd get a refund and pick up a different tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mog33

It's not illegal to use an incorrect address. Even if that does work now, what happens if they change their system in the future and then it stops working. I'd get a refund and pick up a different tablet.
    Are you sure it isn't illegal? Currently, my billing information states my address as being in Bristol and the postal code of Bristol. I'm really not sure if Argos will give me a refund though. The purchase is not part of 30 days money back-thing. I will be able to bring it back in a sellable state however, including booklets and plastics and all that stuff. Hope that will help :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

mog33 wrote: »
    Are you sure it isn't illegal? Currently, my billing information states my address as being in Bristol and the postal code of Bristol. I'm really not sure if Argos will give me a refund though. The purchase is not part of 30 days money back-thing. I will be able to bring it back in a sellable state however, including booklets and plastics and all that stuff. Hope that will help :(

I guess it's possible but I can't see why it would be. Even if it is, do you really think you'd be thrown in jail for it? You should have little hassle getting a refund (providing you bought it in Ireland and not the UK). Argos should be telling their customers that you can't get apps here for it if they are selling it here. It'd be like selling an electrical product with a European or American plug on it and not providing an adapter.

I guess it's possible but I can't see why it would be. Even if it is, do you really think you'd be thrown in jail for it? You should have little hassle getting a refund (providing you bought it in Ireland and not the UK). Argos should be telling their customers that you can't get apps here for it if they are selling it here. It'd be like selling an electrical product with a European or American plug on it and not providing an adapter.
    I will try my best to get the refund out of them. For the first time in my life it will be hard for me to stay polite as this is the first time I have problem with such an expensive purchase.

I love the device though, it's really good, but of no use if you can't download/buy apps or books.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 islandgirl

Hi,

Any update on the reaction from Argos? I am in exactly the same position - having to trry to return a Christmas gift for my Dad on Christmas Eve having tried to set it up for him and not being able to install anything!

• Advertisement

islandgirl wrote: »
    Hi,

Any update on the reaction from Argos? I am in exactly the same position - having to trry to return a Christmas gift for my Dad on Christmas Eve having tried to set it up for him and not being able to install anything!
    I got my money back though it was quite a hassle. Manager had to call some people before returning my money

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kezombie

I just purchased same from Argos in Ireland but not told it wouldn't work here. I bought one for my daughter too. Do I return them or find an alternative way to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fedorafennec

Kezombie wrote: »
    I just purchased same from Argos in Ireland but not told it wouldn't work here. I bought one for my daughter too. Do I return them or find an alternative way to download.

While the nook store looks to require a uk or us card, the google play store should come on it (about a year ago when I set one up) after two or three system updates. That will give access to pretty much every android app including other media ones like kindle and kobo.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Zombie thread closed. Please open a new thread instead of bumping old ones

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement