Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roofing costs

Options
  • 19-12-2012 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I'm just wondering does anybody know how much roofing materials cost? Rafters, felt, roof tiles, batons etc? planning on building a pitched roof on our existing home

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Hi there

I'm just wondering does anybody know how much roofing materials cost? Rafters, felt, roof tiles, batons etc? planning on building a pitched roof on our existing home

Thanks

Do you know how much of each material you'll need? I'm a little bit sceptical about you putting the roof together if it sounds like it's not something you've done before. You're gonna need an engineer at least to sign off on the design, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Do you know how much of each material you'll need? I'm a little bit sceptical about you putting the roof together if it sounds like it's not something you've done before. You're gonna need an engineer at least to sign off on the design, etc.

Well to be honest no I haven't.

I wont be putting the roof together myself, just providing the materials and what not, just wana see how much it costs roughly to actually get said materials first, then worry about engineers and what not

Well to be honest no I haven't.

I wont be putting the roof together myself, just providing the materials and what not, just wana see how much it costs roughly to actually get said materials first, then worry about engineers and what not

Fair enough toasted. Hopefully I didn't come across like a roofing snob!
    So to be honest your best bet is to do the following:
    1. Get someone to design the roof
    2. Send off the design to 2/3 roofers and look for quotes that include a BOM (bill of materials). This usually excludes the cost of slates as they're a personal choice
    3. Take the BOM and send it off to 2/3 building materials suppliers to get your material costs.

And remember those in the trades get a different VAT rate to us mere mortals, so factor that into any comparisons you made make in your head.

I should clarify further . An Architect or Arch Tech should design the roof, and it needs to meet building regs, and stay within local planning guidelines as regards height, roof windows, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Fair enough toasted. Hopefully I didn't come across like a roofing snob!
    So to be honest your best bet is to do the following:
    1. Get someone to design the roof
    2. Send off the design to 2/3 roofers and look for quotes that include a BOM (bill of materials). This usually excludes the cost of slates as they're a personal choice
    3. Take the BOM and send it off to 2/3 building materials suppliers to get your material costs.

And remember those in the trades get a different VAT rate to us mere mortals, so factor that into any comparisons you made make in your head.

Ah no you didn't at all,
    Well as for the design I can do that myself, and then ill send it off and get it checked over first obviously

Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement

Ah no you didn't at all,
    Well as for the design I can do that myself, and then ill send it off and get it checked over first obviously

Thanks for the help!

Think about what slates you'll be putting on. The design needs to be sufficiently load-bearing. This in turn determines the quantity and strength of certain materials involved. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Tegral trutone slates are €1.30 each and wood is cheap enough esp with the sizes needed for roofing. Breather membrane is about €70 a roll.

Google roof calculator...

cgarrad wrote: »
    Tegral trutone slates are €1.30 each and wood is cheap enough esp with the sizes needed for roofing. Breather membrane is about €70 a roll.

Google roof calculator...

On the size of the wood, I'd be thinking about how much insulation you're putting in, and whether it's going in on the flat or the pitch. The more insulation you want to put in, the more you should be thinking about wider joists/rafters or counter-battening (if on flat). Like I said before, get the design done properly (or spend more time on your insulation plan) before doing anything else about pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Thread moved to appropriate forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

Everybody pays 23% vat on materials.Trades people get a small trade discount on materials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Just a note, the thread has deviated slightly from the price/cost of roof materials to the roof design and back again, a couple of points to remember,
    1. We can't discuss the design of the structure here very much as it is against the charter.
    2. The OP mentions 'roof tiles' and later posts refer to slates. This can lead to a significant difference in terms of roof design because of the weight difference.

Advertisement