Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last minute I-grade?

• 19-12-2012 1:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭

I'm about 98% sure I just fractured my tailbone from failing done the stairs (the second time today and the third time in the past week in the same position, stupid slippers). As I sit here, grinding my teeth in pain, I'm wondering how I would go about a last minute I-grade as I am going to A&E within the next hour and I have an exam at 12.30 tomorrow. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭PinkBottle

I'm about 98% sure I just fractured my tailbone from failing done the stairs (the second time today and the third time in the past week in the same position, stupid slippers). As I sit here, grinding my teeth in pain, I'm wondering how I would go about a last minute I-grade as I am going to A&E within the next hour and I have an exam at 12.30 tomorrow. Thanks

First off, Ouch! I did it myself last year, pure agony!!

When I had to get an i grade before I was in touch with the education officer and went to the medical centre where i was seen and then had to fill out forms to apply for an igrade. . . you will probably have to go there?

You also have the choice to sit the exam in the sick room, a friend of mine did that last year and they did their exam standing up as they had damaged their back and were given a lectern to use???

Good luck.....and move very very slowly in the new few weeks, and for the love of god, get new slippers!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I got an igrade after I came back last year. As long as you have a valid doctors note and they can check. They complained an awful lot though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

It is possible to get I grades at the last minute. I did in 2009 when I fractured a metacarpal bone in my right hand two days before exams and couldn't write. Since your injury doesn't hinder your writing you may be allowed do it standing in a separate room if they have an invigilator to spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Before the exam starts: Get your GP to fax a note to the medical centre, and phone the medical cantre about it once that fax is gone through to confirm receipt. They may suggest that you attend them before the exam.

Then phone Student Services to inform them, though the medical centre should be contacting the Student Services about the situation.

After the exam, if you have not sat the exam, please make sure to follow up with letters and documentation, preferable handed in to both places.

Do the exam if you are up to it, but if you are not up to it, do take advantage of the I-grade if you feel that your effort would not be representative of your effort during the year, knowing that you will have to pass it in September to progress.

In general, once it's obvious that there's a legitimate reason for being unable to attend, the medical centre is very accomodating and helpful, and when they are on your side there's fewer problems with the awarding of an I-grade.

One of the real pain-in-the-ass (pun intended) problems with a tailbone break is that is may not show up on X-Rays at all, so I hope that it's okay. Broken tailbones can cause issues in the future for girls especially, as a lot of ligaments on the pelvic floor connect to the tailbone. You'll be carrying a rubber donut around for a few weeks to take pressure off the bone when you sit, and you won't be driving for a while. If it is broken then long journeys will be difficult. My ex broke her tailbone a few years back so I'm a bit familiar with the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

Just an update, I decided to grin and bear it. Sat my exam and all. In agony today so went and got it checked and turns out my tailbone is broken and I have tissue damage all over my back and ass haha. Trooper, so I am!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Just an update, I decided to grin and bear it. Sat my exam and all. In agony today so went and got it checked and turns out my tailbone is broken and I have tissue damage all over my back and ass haha. Trooper, so I am!

Jesus!

Fair play to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

****ing hell, I would've just taken the I-grade! Fair play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Having to do the exam must have been a right pain in the arse

I'll get my coat..

Advertisement