Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Pud.......Help!!

Options
  • 19-12-2012 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

Hi all

An old family friend visited today and she gave me a really large homemade Christmas pudding. Happy days you'd think but I haven't a clue how to cook it. She did mumble something about cooking for an hour but she is old and very hard to understand :(

Has anybody got any clue what to do with it? It is beautiful looking and smells like she used a couple of bottles of brandy on the fruit lol. I'm more used to sticking the wee Lidl ones in the microwave but would really love to present this homemade pud on Christmas day.

Any ideas?

Thanks

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Thats lovely, from the sound of it, I'd say its a 2ld pudding, and she would have steamed it for about 8 hours before giving it to you, so all you have to do is steam it again on Christmas day for 1-2 hours, depending on size, for the 2ld I steam it for the two hours, 1ld one hour. you'll really enjoy the homemade version :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I always 'boil' my puds, although most would say 'steam'. This is how I attack this situation. I get a large enough saucepan, I then put a Pyrex (or oven proof) lid or plate in the bottom to stand the pud on, then pour in enough boiling water to come maybe halfway up the pud. Pop the lid onto the saucepan, and just keep the water simmering gently for about 2 hours. I find Christmas morning all about the juggling of pots, and perfect timing. But like everyone else, I am not perfect, just human! :) Nice to get a present of a home cooked pud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I always 'boil' my puds, although most would 'steam'. I get a large enough saucepan, I then put a Pyrex lid in the bottom to stand the pud on, then pour in enough boiling water to come maybe halfway up the pud. Pop the lid on the saucepan, and just keep the water simmering gently for 1-2 hours depending on the size. Nice to get a present of a home cooked pud!

What she said ;)

Turn a plate upside down in the bottom of a pot. Cover the plate with water, say about an inch high...

Drop pudding bowl into the pot. cling film over the pot, then tight fitting lid. (basically trying to keep the steam inside the pot)

If there is no weight measurement on the bowl it's easy to judge it given that a pound of butter is ..well... a pound ;).... does it look similar or more like double?

If similar i'd bring to a simmer for an hour, if double, well no harm giving it two hours as you dont really know how long it was initially cooked for. I cook mine for 12 hours... :eek: ..yeah, i know but there's literally hundreds of portions at very low temperatures and i do it overnight.

You cant really over cook it if you are steaming it, but you can burn it so check it after 1 hour and top up if necessary with more water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Thanks so much folks.....am sooooo looking forward to it. Been ages since I had a proper homemade one. Will raise a spoon to you all on Christmas day :)

Advertisement