Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rimfire round

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Article on Accurate Shooter:
    17winrimfire001.jpg
    New 3000 FPS Rimfire Round
    Winchester has announced a new, high-velocity 17-caliber rimfire cartridge, the .17 Winchester Super Magnum (aka .17 Win Super Mag). The .17 Win Super Mag will initially be offered in three bullet types: 20gr plastic tip (Varmint HV), 25gr plastic tip (Varmint HE), and a 20gr JHP (Super-X). The 20-grain varieties boast a 3000 FPS muzzle velocity, earning honors as the fastest Rimfire ammo ever made.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2013/01/winchesters-new-3000-fps-17-win-super-mag-rimfire/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭minktrapper

rowa wrote: »
    Winchester say its developed from their .27 nail gun cartridge so guessing .27 necked down , its longer than the hmr though.

It will never fit the Sako Quad it is too long a bullet,I'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

This calibre could become a good success.
    It has me interested in it but the only thing is you can't rebarrel a rifle in it as you need a bigger bolt face than any other rimfire and according to the second clip with the pressures they are running you need a beefed up action and the likes.

They are saying ammo will be between $13-15

From the Midway USA website Eley Match retails for $14.79 = ~€11.10. I pay €11 per box so prices don't vary to much in that regard.

I say ammo will be between €10-15 for 50.
    How much is a box of hmr here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Anywhere between 14-20 depending on who's selling it. Winchester stuff was 12.50 in some places.

• Advertisement

If the ammo is the same price as the hmr I say a few might change over the the WSM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

I reckon it would be a good dual purpose hunting rifle although it would probably mince rabbits, nice bit more oomph for the foxes compared to a hmr but its probably going to be loud and will need a stronger mod compared to the likes of a sak and will need a whole new rifle design so guns will probably be expensive also i'd love to try one but the more i think about it i cant see myself changing either my .22 or my .204 for one and if i was getting another rifle it wouldn't be the wsm

I'm thinking the same as you Or. Where would it fit in? I have a .22 already which is perfect for rabbit and if I was going to something to hit foxes it would have to be a .204, .223 or a .243 for a dual purpose rifle.

What the WSM is offering really is CF performance for rimfire costs.

We probably won't see the rifle in here till 2014 so plenty of time to make up your mind :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

dev110 wrote: »
    I'm thinking the same as you Or. Where would it fit in? I have a .22 already which is perfect for rabbit and if I was going to something to hit foxes it would have to be a .204, .223 or a .243 for a dual purpose rifle.

What the WSM is offering really is CF performance for rimfire costs.

We probably won't see the rifle in here till 2014 so plenty of time to make up your mind :p

It could fit in well for people who like the dual purpose rifles.

I want range bunny shooting so I use the hmr, and if a fox pops out I can also use the hmr.
    Wssm would increase the range fox foxes and longer rabbits.

Then a .243 for foxing and deer stalking and a 12g for game. There's the 3 guns Id only ever need in the safe.

If it took off with available affordable ammo Id like to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

At the moment i have my mossberg pump for game,6.5 swede for deer and hmr for rabbits. I can take rabbits to 200+ yds with the hmr and it does the job for charlie to 125 or so,if i have to go further for foxes i just use prvi ammo in the 6.5 as its nice and cheap and does the job further than i could ever shoot. The wsm would be great for 200 yard+ rabbits but it would destroy them inside that. With the issues with compatibility,shorter range meat damage,the price(no way can it be priced similar to the hmr regardless what winchester say) and the risk that it may never take off anyway,i dont think id bother changing the hmr. Id love to try the wsm but i just dont know if its necessary. Just my 2c. LR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Hey, guys
    Just been leafing through Guns and Ammo in Easons and saw an article about the new 17 WSM. Seems like 3000fps at the muzzle from 20gr pill and around 2000fps at 200yds.
    Case is from a commercial nailgun!
    what do you think?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.17_Winchester_Super_Magnum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

yubabill1 wrote: »
    Hey, guys
    Just been leafing through Guns and Ammo in Easons and saw an article about the new 17 WSM. Seems like 3000fps at the muzzle from 20gr pill and around 2000fps at 200yds.
    Case is from a commercial nailgun!
    what do you think?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.17_Winchester_Super_Magnum

Hi yubabill,if the .17 wsm ammo comes in to the country cheap enough it will be a good seller ,imo.
    Id buy one if the price was right on the ammo.
    Regards,Tomcat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Looks like I came to the party a day late and a dollar short!

Never mind.

Yes, Tomcat220t price will be everything.

Can we expect to see a drop in 17HMR ammo to a realistic value?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Does anyone have any updates on this round / rifle ?

I know it is out in the US but any idea when it will get to dealers in Ireland?

I haven't heard much about the round since it was released. I think Savage have only started mass production on their rifles in the last month or so. Not sure if there are any other companies taking on the WSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭nedcbr6

Any idea if and when will it come to ireland

Advertisement