Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card interest increases of up to 4%!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi dobsdave,

Thanks for getting in touch. The newspaper advertisement has also been available on our Group website since 19th October 2012.

There may be a more competitive Bank of Ireland credit card available to you. You can find out more about switching to another card online here, over the phone on 1890 365 100 or by speaking with an advisor in your local branch.

If you have any other queries, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Those links seem deliberately designed to make it difficult to compare charges.

I have a clear card, which based on newspaper reports today has increased by 4%. Is there a card a available with a better rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

How come you didnt put the advert here, you could have easily put it in as a sticky at the top of the forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭brinks_18476

BOI Agent,
    Can i decline to accept increase in credit card rates?
    I was given this option with MBNA and my account was closed/frozen and i am continuing my monthly repayments at old interest rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi copacetic,
    copacetic wrote: »
    I have a clear card, which based on newspaper reports today has increased by 4%. Is there a card a available with a better rate?

The interest rates for our credit cards are available here, which may make it easier to compare them.

Hi Nuttzz,
    Nuttzz wrote: »
    How come you didnt put the advert here, you could have easily put it in as a sticky at the top of the forum

Apologies, we will try to be more proactive with this type of message in our forum in the future.

Hi brinks_18476
    Can i decline to accept increase in credit card rates?

Yes, you can end your contract with us. However, there may be a more competitive Bank of Ireland credit card available to you that you can switch to without incurring any charges. You can find out more online, over the phone on 1890 365 100 or in your local branch.

Thanks for all your posts,
    Graham

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Hi dobsdave,

Thanks for getting in touch. The newspaper advertisement has also been available on our Group website since 19th October 2012.

There may be a more competitive Bank of Ireland credit card available to you. You can find out more about switching to another card online here, over the phone on 1890 365 100 or by speaking with an advisor in your local branch.

If you have any other queries, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Graham

Thanks for the reply,
    I called the number you listed and was offered a card with 17.3% (.5% lower than the clear), but that had a 76euro annual charge.

So that looks like my final connection with BOI gone after 25 years.
    I will switch my cc to my new banking provider.
    I have to say I don't like the way you are doing business lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

Constantly changing the goalposts lately. I have my research done, so its goodbye after 15 years. I know at least 5 other people jumping ship after crimbo. Very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Hi brinks_18476

Yes, you can end your contract with us. However, there may be a more competitive Bank of Ireland credit card available to you that you can switch to without incurring any charges. You can find out more online, over the phone on 1890 365 100 or in your local branch.

Thanks for all your posts,
    Graham
    fixed that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭harolds57

"Apologies, we will try to be more proactive with this type of message in our forum in the future."

Did you not learn anything from your change of terms for free banking as regards all the post here about it and the fact that a lot of people werent aware of it.
    At that stage you said "As our presence on boards.ie is relatively new, we needed to decide on the most suitable approach for the forum. We appreciate there was a delay and apologise for this"

Seems like thats all your good at apologise's after the fact. Seen that customers of BOI are paying for your services here on boards.ie, its not a great service there getting now is it? "A spokeswoman for Bank of Ireland defended its decision not to issue news releases to the media about the bank charge changes or the mortgage interest rate increase and claimed that improvements to its online operation and the creation of banking apps for smartphones were costly and would have to be paid for by end users"

• Registered Users Posts: 45,454 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

What a joke,

Goodluck BOI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

dobsdave wrote: »
    Just read this on RTE,
    Is there anymore info? nothing on your site.
    Increases of up to 4%

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1219/bank-of-ireland-credit-cards-business.html

Edit: Have just seen this:
    http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/fs/doc/wysiwyg/37-1166r-1-12-12-credit-card-rate-sheet-final.pdf

Another newspaper release, bad form (again) BOI. My rate has just gone up 4%!!

Actually your rate went up c. 35%.

Hi copacetic,

The interest rates for our credit cards are available here, which may make it easier to compare them.

So basically no, there is nothing to do but accept a 4% increase or go to another provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Well I'll be cancelling mine anyway BOI. Here's a link to a comparison site for reference

http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-credit-cards/

Dingatron wrote: »
    Well I'll be cancelling mine anyway BOI. Here's a link to a comparison site for reference

http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-credit-cards/

Cheers, I have an AIB account also, looks like their click card is now 4/5% better than any BOI card now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi all,

We appreciate your comments and have forwarded them on to the relevant department.

As previously posted:

Thanks for taking the time to post.
    Laura

Advertisement