Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lostprophets singer arrested for child sex abuse

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

Fad wrote: »
    Without condoning anything he's alleged to have done; pedophilia is a mental illness.

I would say that is up for debate considering it is their base sexual preference. At the risk of sounding like I'm defending paedophiles, it was not too long ago that anybody with anything other than the standard heterosexual orientation was classed as mentally ill, so I'd be slow in calling it a mental illness if it is just in fact their sexual preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Arawn wrote: »
    The police don't deny bail to possibly innocent people. I reckon they have him all but nailed to the wall
    Dunno if that's the case, he'd have the money to be a flight risk, then there's the nature of the offences too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Meesared wrote: »
    Dunno if that's the case, he'd have the money to be a flight risk, then there's the nature of the offences too

I'd say he'll have to surrender his passport? Anyway, I'd say his career(!) is ruined!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'd say he'll have to surrender his passport? Anyway, I'd say his career(!) is ruined!?

Rather astute of ya there Mickey ;)

The fact they denied him bail is pretty damning, now I'm not saying he's guilty or anything but it does not look good for him right now based on that and the rumours that have been going around for the past year.

Really makes you wonder how if it turns out he is guilty all those people who came forward will feel given they have spent the past year being called liars and scum.

• Advertisement

The fact they denied him bail is pretty damning, now I'm not saying he's guilty or anything but it does not look good for him right now based on that and the rumours that have been going around for the past year.

Really makes you wonder how if it turns out he is guilty all those people who came forward will feel given they have spent the past year being called liars and scum.
    Eh its just the whole innocent until proven guilty thing, just its a little early to know what happened yet

Eh its just the whole innocent until proven guilty thing, just its a little early to know what happened yet

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty but signs here aren't good. The fact he was flat out refused bail doesn't help his case and I hope if found guilty all those who came out with accusations over the past year get the credit they deserve.

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty but signs here aren't good. The fact he was flat out refused bail doesn't help his case and I hope if found guilty all those who came out with accusations over the past year get the credit they deserve.
    Oh I'm not denying it doesn't look good!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Wasnt the lead singer from LOG refused bail aswell during the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah and it's followed through he has a date set for trial.

• Advertisement

If I recall correctly he spent 5 weeks in jail before being released on bail and ATM is in the US a free man.

If I recall correctly he spent 5 weeks in jail before being released on bail and ATM is in the US a free man.

His trial commences early February.

His trial commences early February.

I'm aware and its likely that he will not do any jail time.

Ahh I know it's unlikely, was just saying the whole thing still isn't over.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭stupidfishy

In fairness now he does still be around, was on the cover of Kerrang! magazine a couple of weeks ago...Not that I do be reading Kerrang or anything...*ehem*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

In fairness now he does still be around, was on the cover of Kerrang! magazine a couple of weeks ago...Not that I do be reading Kerrang or anything...*ehem*

Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

only teenagers read Kerrang

A few weeks back he wasn't in prison with such depraved and inhuman allegations hanging over his head. Up until Tuesady or do he had a career, a very successful one but at the minute Gary Glitter has more chance of a come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭stupidfishy

A few weeks back he wasn't in prison with such depraved and inhuman allegations hanging over his head. Up until Tuesady or do he had a career, a very successful one but at the minute Gary Glitter has more chance of a come back.

Sorry Darko wires seem to be getting a bit crossed here, I didn't mean for it to come across as if I was defending him at all I was just responding to Mickeys comment/joke that implied his career was over anyway - not because I am or was ever a supporter but just because I do think the band were still relevant to a lot of people particularly younger teenagers i.e my 14 year old brother is a big fan.

On a personal note I was holding my 1 year old niece today and I was hit with a wave of nausea thinking about the things these three people are accused of, sick scum.

Sorry Darko wires seem to be getting a bit crossed here, I didn't mean for it to come across as if I was defending him at all I was just responding to Mickeys comment/joke that implied his career was over anyway - not because I am or was ever a supporter but just because I do think the band were still relevant to a lot of people particularly younger teenagers i.e my 14 year old brother is a big fan.

On a personal note I was holding my 1 year old niece today and I was hit with a wave of nausea thinking about the things these three people are accused of, sick scum.

I was actually agreeing with you to a degree. Up until this past Tuesday or so he had one hell of a career and things were only going to get better for him career wise. I'm turned 27 on Tuesday and and myself and a good friend were discussing songs we really like but people would never expect us to. Lostprophets and Take That we're mentioned by both of us much to the amazement of those around us as I'dslent the past hour singing the praises of Volveat and Ulver.

Lostprophets were a great stupid easy to listen to band. They wrote catchy songs that if you heard on the radio you wouldn't instantly shift to the next station. I feel sorry for the rest of the band as this will follow them forever. People in this very thread have implied that they had to know and were simply covering up for him. As someone who has been affected personally by something similiar to what Ian Watkins allegedly did and planned to do I can say that predators such as him are careful and meticulous in covering up their actions and 9 times out of 10 those closest to themate oblivious as to what is occurring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Had to make a post i am a huge fan of lostprophets and was a huge fan of ian watkins. Been a fan since Burn Burn back in 2003 when i was only 11 years old at the time its just crazy thinking how long i have been looking up to them and ESP Ian Wakins.

Like the as a band they have made 5 very good CDs with very little filler on them and still to this day Cant catch tomorrow is still my fave song by them and one of my fave of all time

Like you look at the 1st verse like its means a lot to what he has done and maybe a key into something else Ian done

I'm sure I've seen this look before
    Done a thousand times and a million more
    How many lies did he tell this time?
    How many times did he cross the line?
    It won't help me but I have to ask
    Is there something real that's behind the mask?
    Something true we don't know about?
    A little faith in amongst the doubt

But after finding put what he did i just cant belive it as he was some one i looked up to in music and fashion. I have been dressing like him for the last 2 years hes the one who got me into skinny jeans. Have Tee shirts from his Tee shirt label i bet many did not no he had. The list is endless how much i idled him :(

I just fell sorry for the band as there careers are gone because of him now if he gets away with it i still can never think the same of him ever again. Like this has hurt me bad in the last weak some one who is your idol music wise done something like this to poor kids like what kind of sick person was he :eek:.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have been dressing like him for the last 2 years hes the one who got me into skinny jeans.

The monster!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

hes the one who got me into skinny jeans.

he got a few more of his fans out of them by the sounds of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Had to make a post i am a huge fan of lostprophets and was a huge fan of ian watkins. Been a fan since Burn Burn back in 2003 when i was only 11 years old at the time its just crazy thinking how long i have been looking up to them and ESP Ian Wakins.

Like the as a band they have made 5 very good CDs with very little filler on them and still to this day Cant catch tomorrow is still my fave song by them and one of my fave of all time

Like you look at the 1st verse like its means a lot to what he has done and maybe a key into something else Ian done

I'm sure I've seen this look before
    Done a thousand times and a million more
    How many lies did he tell this time?
    How many times did he cross the line?
    It won't help me but I have to ask
    Is there something real that's behind the mask?
    Something true we don't know about?
    A little faith in amongst the doubt

But after finding put what he did i just cant belive it as he was some one i looked up to in music and fashion. I have been dressing like him for the last 2 years hes the one who got me into skinny jeans. Have Tee shirts from his Tee shirt label i bet many did not no he had. The list is endless how much i idled him :(

I just fell sorry for the band as there careers are gone because of him now if he gets away with it i still can never think the same of him ever again. Like this has hurt me bad in the last weak some one who is your idol music wise done something like this to poor kids like what kind of sick person was he :eek:.

Is this for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I watched that Louis Theroux documentary on pedophiles. They are revealed to be manipulative liars. Only a few of them had a morality and regret about their past mistakes.

It maybe a mental disorder/illness of some sort. It's kind of subjective. I honestly don't feel as much sympathy as Fad seems to have for the man though. Comparing it to depression is askew in the context of mental illness. I do agree with rehabilitation (in prison) but that documentary showed that pedophiles remain a danger to society even with the significant therapy they received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I would say that is up for debate considering it is their base sexual preference. At the risk of sounding like I'm defending paedophiles, it was not too long ago that anybody with anything other than the standard heterosexual orientation was classed as mentally ill, so I'd be slow in calling it a mental illness if it is just in fact their sexual preference.
    I hope you're not even slightly trying to compare paedophilia to how some judge homosexuality. Mental illness and sexual preferences aside, paedophilia is the rape by an adult of a child..as a child is always a non consenting victim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

K4t wrote: »
    I hope you're not even slightly trying to compare paedophilia to how some judge homosexuality. Mental illness and sexual preferences aside, paedophilia is the rape by an adult of a child..as a child is always a non consenting victim.
    Paedophilia is not the rape of a child by an adult, paedophilia is a sexual attraction to prepubescent child. Not all pedophiles rape kids.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Very very shocked to hear about this. If the allegations are true, he seems to have been a very disturbed individual. I used to quite like Lostprophets, still have that Fake Sound of Progress cd knocking around. Think I saw them at Ozzfest way back in '02. I do feel sorry for the rest of the band, I highly doubt they knew anything about it. I hope the potential victim is safe now.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

It's a lyric to any song..............................................

if your band's name is Cannibal Corpse?:D

Fairly sure I've heard something like that on Vile! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

sick!

Advertisement