Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lostprophets singer arrested for child sex abuse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Temaz wrote: »
    The way Watkins twisted mind works he'd actually enjoy becoming a prison bitch.

He won't enjoy it when he's had to have his a$shole stitched back up by Dr Nick Riviera in the prison infirmary for the tenth time, and is picking his teeth up off the floor.

But in reality, they'll probably put the cnut in solitary and give him his meals through a hatch. hopefully he'll do a Shipman and hang himself with the drawstring from his pyjamas, thereby saving the UK taxpayer a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

seachto7 wrote: »
    You mean you'd listen to art that a paedo created? Would you buy any of Hitler's paintings or hang them in your house?

Given that the music is the exact same as it was a week ago, it's fairly ridiculous logic to all of a sudden decide you don't like it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I actually listened to a bit of LP last night for the first time in years!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Mr.S wrote: »
    Crazy to think that people where posting about Watkins and this **** years ago and hardly anyone believed them. The 2 girls are named numerous times on forums from back then as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if he is dead from suicide or killed in prison within a year..

Shame, quite like(d) their music but will feel a bit weird now listening to them.

I don't think people should attack others for still listening to them, to each their own. The music is still good.
    Yes they should,and no it`s not.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Lostprophets
    Earlier this week, we learned that the allegations of child sexual abuse against Ian were true, and that he would not be contesting them in court. Until then, we found them extremely difficult to believe and had hoped it was all a mistake. Sadly, the true extent of his appalling behaviour is now impossible to deny.

Many of you understandably want to know if we knew what Ian was doing. To be clear: We did not. We knew that Ian was a difficult character. Our personal relationships with him had deteriorated in recent years to a point that working together was a constant, miserable challenge. But despite his battles with drugs, his egotistic behaviour, and the resulting fractures and frustrations within our band, we never imagined him capable of behaviour of the type he has now admitted.

We are heartbroken, angry, and disgusted at what has been revealed. This is something that will haunt us for the rest of our lives. Being in a band has always been a labour of love and a platform to inspire people, not to take advantage of them. It's still hard to believe this is happening and that someone we were once so close to has destroyed so many lives, lying every step of the way.
    Our hearts go out to Ian's family, the fans and friends he betrayed, and most importantly, the victims of his crimes and others like them. We hope for justice, but also that Ian will truly take responsibility for what he's done. We would urge any other victims to contact the authorities.

Jamie, Lee, Luke, Mike and Stu

Agreed what Mr S said about just because people still listen to their music they should not be attack .

What he did was 100% wrong and disgusting , but i will still listen to their music when it comes on my i tunes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

You mustn't have very many artists that you can listen to as the majority of bands and musicians have something they've done wrong. I judge the art and not the artist. Will I ever listen to the Lostprophets again, not all that likely given I'm not exactly a fan but I'm not going to leave a room if they come on or make anyone feel like crap for listening to them.
    #

Would you drink in a pub if you knew the owner beat his wife and kids? Same thing. You're investing time in them by listening to their "art" or drinking in someone's pub etc etc.

#

Would you drink in a pub if you knew the owner beat his wife and kids? Same thing. You're investing time in them by listening to their "art" or drinking in someone's pub etc etc.

If it was the best pint in town then whose to know. When it comes to art, you judge the art and not the artist v

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

#

What's your favorite movie? If it comes out that the director is a child molestor does the movie suddenly become crap? I don't think so.

What's your favorite movie? If it comes out that the director is a child molestor does the movie suddenly become crap? I don't think so.

No, but I wouldn't invest a few hours of my life watching a movie made by a kiddie fiddler no matter how good it was.

If Ian Watkins turned out to a racist and part of a right wing party or something like that, would you still listen to the lostprophets?

It's like saying "I love buying bread from the bakery down the road. The baker is a pure homophobic racist pr*ck, but his bread is nice". You're saying it's ok to buy bread in a bakery run by a racist homophobe just because the bread is nice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

No, but I wouldn't invest a few hours of my life watching a movie made by a kiddie fiddler no matter how good it was.

If Ian Watkins turned out to a racist and part of a right wing party or something like that, would you still listen to the lostprophets?

It's like saying "I love buying bread from the bakery down the road. The baker is a pure homophobic racist pr*ck, but his bread is nice". You're saying it's ok to buy bread in a bakery run by a racist homophobe just because the bread is nice?

You seem unable to differentiate between the person and the art. They are separate.

• Advertisement

It really isn't. Roman Polanski sexually assaulted a teenage girl and never paid for his crime. Now I'm not going to defend him or imply that he is anything other than scum but his actions don't take away from his skill as a filmmaker. He is not someone I would want to spend much time around but his films still entertain me. Same goes for Led Zeppelin who are, and will always be my favorite band. Does the fact that Jimmy Page practically kidnapped a 14 year old girl and then kept her hostage for years make their music any less brilliant, not one bit. Vince McNeil from Motley Crue, killed his best friend when he was drink driving . I still like their music and the incident has never bothered me or made me think twice about putting on some Motley.

When you judge an artist, you judge their work and not the person. As I said, the fact that Jimmy Page did terrible things will never affect how much I love Zepellins music. Sure that may make you a better person that I, but at least I got all the great music to enjoy

Look at Sean Penn, he brutally abused Madonna. After an argument he tied her to a chair and spent hours kicking the crap out of her. No I'm not a fan of Penn and don't rate him as much of an actor but the fact that he's a nasty, abusive monster has never stopped me loving The Tree of Life. Eric Clapton is a horrible racist but it never stops people from listening to his music. Personally I don't like Clapton's music but if I did, the fact that he is a bit of a racist wouldn't stop me listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

I don't think your analogy fully works. I've been a Lostprophets fan since Shinobi VS. Dragon Ninja came out and have subsequently already bought all their albums. They wouldn't be close to being my favorite band ever but the music they wrote was simple and catchy and sometimes I'm in the mood for simple and catchy.

Will I still listen to Lostprophets now that we know Ian is a vile pedo? Yes. I have no issues listening to the CDs and MP3s I have purchased before I knew about Ian. What I will not do however is do anything that might benefit Ian financially like listening to them on Spotify, purchase any CD or merchandise associated with them or even watch any of their music videos on Youtube.

.....Personally I don't like Clapton's music but if I did, the fact that he is a bit of a racist wouldn't stop me listening.

I'm sorry man, but that's just f*cking pathetic.

When you judge an artist, you judge their work and not the person. As I said, the fact that Jimmy Page did terrible things will never affect how much I love Zepellins music. Sure that may make you a better person that I, but at least I got all the great music to enjoy

So it's ok for some twat in spandex pants and long hair to do this sh*t just because he or she is an "artist", but if was a teacher or politician, or taxi driver, or plumber, they'd be ran out of town.

I'm sorry man, but that's just f*cking pathetic.

How so? It's not like the music contains racist lyrics or attempts to forward some racist agenda. If they did then your misguided moral agenda may have some creedance but honestly all you're doing is looking for a reason to be offended. If you can't separate the art from the artist then that's your loss.

I am offended, not by Lostprophets music, but by the fact the singer raped kids amongst other things. So why would I waste a few hours of my life listening to him, when I could listen to something else? I don't see how you can separate the person from the art, especially in this case.
    I never liked Clapton, but when I found out he was a racist, I decided I'd never listen to him. If it turned out James Hetfield was ever outed as a KKK member, then that's it, I'm done with them.

So it's ok for some twat in spandex pants and long hair to do this sh*t just because he or she is an "artist", but if was a teacher or politician, or taxi driver, or plumber, they'd be ran out of town.

Again, there you go reading into things. No one said that it was okay or even dependable, merely that people like myself will judge the art and not the artist. Should I go and burn all m y Led Zeppelin Vinyl and stop listening to my favorite band simply because one of the group did unsavory things?

You must have a great view from up there on your high horse. You have no issue judging people who refuse to do as you do and when someone offers an alternate perspective you imply that their opinions are fucking pathetic.

I am offended, not by Lostprophets music, but by the fact the singer raped kids amongst other things. So why would I waste a few hours of my life listening to him, when I could listen to something else? I don't see how you can separate the person from the art, especially in this case.
    I never liked Clapton, but when I found out he was a racist, I decided I'd never listen to him. If it turned out James Hetfield was ever outed as a KKK member, then that's it, I'm done with them.

Your loss. Just because you can't separate the art from the artist doesn't mean that others can. You can now feel all superior and look down on anyone who listens to Clapton or enjoys Rosemary's Baby or doesn't get offended when they hear Lostprophets. I assume that you are unable to enjoy the works of Charles Dickens, T. S. Eliot, Norman Mailer, Caravaggio, etc, etc

Ass Walter Benjamin once stated “At the base of every major work of art is a pile of barbarism.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Your loss. Just because you can't separate the art from the artist doesn't mean that others can. You can now feel all superior and look down on anyone who listens to Clapton or enjoys Rosemary's Baby or doesn't get offended when they hear Lostprophets. I assume that you are unable to enjoy the works of Charles Dickens, T. S. Eliot, Norman Mailer, Caravaggio, etc, etc

Ass Walter Benjamin once stated “At the base of every major work of art is a pile of barbarism.”
    It's a fair bit difficult to extricate the man's crimes from the art he helped produce when he's the face, voice and main creative influence behind it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

As said what Ian did was disgusting and deserves to rot in hell , but Lostprophets was not only Ian , there was also 5 other members in the band who also involved in writting the music of Lostprophets.

• Advertisement

[quote="[Deleted User];87787362"

You must have a great view from up there on your high horse. You have no issue judging people who refuse to do as you do and when someone offers an alternate perspective you imply that their opinions are fucking pathetic.[/quote]

So Clapton is alright because he's only a bit of a racist. Maybe if Watkins was only a bit of a paedo it would be ok too?
    Take Ron Atkinson. He got caught on tv calling Desailly a "black c*nt" or something like that. His "art" was football analysis/co commentary.

So Clapton is alright because he's only a bit of a racist. Maybe if Watkins was only a bit of a paedo it would be ok too?
    Take Ron Atkinson. He got caught on tv calling Desailly a "black c*nt" or something like that. His "art" was football analysis/co commentary.

What the hell are you going on about. No one defend Clapton or made excuses for him. get bacj

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Bloody hell some awful tripe in this thread the man is a disgustin human being lock him up and throw away the key whatever his career was is irrellevant.

Shame the other members of the band will suffer because of his crimes not as much Watkins victims of course but he ended his former friends careers too, the HMV thing is a pile of nonsense like another poster said Im sure theyd remove Chris Brown albums too if they werent selling well.

Had an album of theirs but not really fussed about them if someone wanted to listen to them work away youd swear the way this thread was carrying on by listening to them you agree with his actions. Judas Priest and Motley Crue are 2 regulars on me playlists

Shur why not email Scuzz and MTV and get them to put LP in their playlist again seeing as it's all about separating the art from the person.

Shur why not email Scuzz and MTV and get them to put LP in their playlist again seeing as it's all about separating the art from the person.

Again you miss the point, though at this stage I assume that you'll never get it. It's not about actively promoting the work of people who have questionable morals or committed heinous crimes, rather most people are able to separate the artist from the art and if they enjoy the art before knowing the artists evil doings they will continue to enjoy it.

I grew up loving Led Zeppelin and as my 28th birthday approaches I continue to love their work. The fact that one of the members did bad things does not lessen my love of the art. I may see the artist in a lesser light but his work stands apart from him as a person.

What I want to know is where you draw the line? Will you support an artist who has been arrested for drink driving, shoplifting, assault, etc?

A good question. Where do you draw the line? Minor offences? Major offences? Racism is a bugbear of mine so I wouldn't tolerate a musician who expressed racist views.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Most would argue that Big Ron’s art was as a football manager and to a lesser extent as a player, he was an largely indifferent pundit.
    I for one will always be grateful for his part in Utd’s only 80’s success – two FA Cups.
    I also think racism is horrible and idiotic, so was glad to see him off match punditry, regardless of the fact I thought he was average at best at doing it
    There is a world of difference between this and baby raping. I not only don’t want to hear any LP songs again but after this sh*t stain’s sentencing, I never want to think about him again.
    But that’s my personal view and definitely think it should be the individual’s choice as to what they can stomach, tolerate or even enjoy when it comes to art, especially when it was co-created by other innocent people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

I agree with the concept of separating the artist from the art...but there`s a line. Ian Watkin`s actions are beyond the pale-The depravity of his deeds are so extreme that no listener could possibly separate the `art ' frrom the monster..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I agree with the concept of separating the artist from the art...but there`s a line. Ian Watkin`s actions are beyond the pale-The depravity of his deeds are so extreme that no listener could possibly separate the `art ' frrom the monster..

I agree with this on a personal level at least. I don't think I could listen to their music knowing what he got up to. But then, I never liked them anyway so whos to say what I'd do if it happened with a band I liked. Anyway, the way some posters are going on as if listening to the music is someone supporting the sick bastard's actions is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Would you buy Jimmy Saville's books?

Advertisement