Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Tying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

That brand is particularly popular for years and, without knowing how serious a fly tyer your friend is, I would think what you have picked out would make a lovely gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭-Freebird-

Thanks SeaFields. What about the price, is it reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

It seems to be ok. Lots of these bulk kits would be around that price and upwards. If their claim is true and there is enough to tie 1000's of flies in it then its a good buy and will last the person years.

I just quickly checked a UK angling site and the same kit is coming in at £60.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

-Freebird- wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I want to buy a fly tying kit for someone but I'm not overly au fait with the whole thing.

Can anyone give me some advice?

I was looking at this one: http://www.anglersworld.ie/product.asp?strPageHistory=home&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=&CAT_ID=&P_ID=2581&btnProduct=More+Details

I'm not sure which one is best and what price is right so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Yeah I'd say that's a well priced kit and fairly comprehensive too. Is the person you're buying the kit for already tying? I only ask this because that kit does not contain a vice and if your friend does not have a vice then he/she can't tie any flies.
    If you're interested in getting your friend a vice as well then I would recommend staying clear of the sets with vice's included (because they're generally crap and can barely grip the hook) and just buy a decent one separately. I would recommend the one in the link below as a decent vice although its priced a bit high on the site. Im sure I've seen them for 25 euro on other sites.
    http://www.fishingmegastore.com/stillwater-regent-traditional-vice~6679.html

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Is the lucky angler likely to be Lake fishing , river fishing for trout or salmon?

while the kit is fine you could be buying some gear there which would not

really suit the anglers needs.....and end up not being used.....or useful....

if you have time try refine the kit to what the angler is likely to be doing...

a tying kit suited towards Salmon and Sea Trout....or

Brown Trout...river or /and lake ...or

Bass Fishing...

if no time the kit is great .....will get the angler started and happy....

• Advertisement
Advertisement