Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropbox to Kindle

Options
  • 19-12-2012 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know how I can get books from dropbox onto my Kindle?

They all seem to be .mobi files which I've never heard of, and the laptop doesn't want to know.

AFAIK these books were made freely available, and have been sent to me by a pal, so there shouldn't be any copyright or privacy issues by the way.

I thought there would be an "export" option in dropbox, but if there is, I can't find it.

Any help gratefully received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It depends on what your using to access Dropbox. On a computer you can just drag and drop it out of the folder. On a mobile device you'd need to download it from Dropbox as it doesn't do it automatically.

It would seem they are these files:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobipocket

So I'd imagine you'd need this to open them:
    http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloadsoft/productdetailsreader.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

.mobi files are the ebook format that the Kindle uses. The most other common format for ebooks is epub but Amazon in their wisdom decided to go with .mobi.

Anyway, probably the easiest way for you to get your books from Dropbox onto your Kindle over the Internet would be to use the "Send To Kindle" application that you can download from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle

Once you register your Kindle with Amazon, you're given a unique email address that you can use to send documents directly to your Kindle. This address should be available in the Manage Your Kindle section on the Amazon website.

This application just provides an easy way to send documents to your kindle over the net using this email address. You can of course just plug it in and copy them across manually or use something like Calibre to manage your library.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Thanks for the replies, which I just about understand!

I plugged the Kindle in, and dragged some of the titles across. They now appear in the list under the drive on my computer, but I can't find them on the Kindle itself.

I then used the email address to send some of the books as an attachment. The email went, but again no sign of the books on the Kindle itself.

Bear in mind I only got the Kindle the other day and am still trying to figure out how to work it!

I now feel like banging my head off the desk.

Please help!!!

ETA - I did sync it, by the way......

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Stop the lights!!!

They were obviously taking the scenic route to my device through cyberspace - no sooner had I submitted the post above than they start to appear.

THANK YOU for the help!!!

:)

Advertisement