Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turnover of Staff mentioned in Interview

• 19-12-2012 12:29pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if others have had a similar experience.

I interviewed for a job last week and in the interview the interviewer mentioned that a few years back they used to have a problem with staff only staying a couple of years and then moving on.

I've been offered a job on what I would consider low pay, it will improve though if I am made permanent, but have also been told that someone in the group has decided to move on.

To me this has raised a few red flags. I'm going to take the job as I need one but what would other peoples opinions be or have they ever been in a similar position.

In my last job in Ireland I was on low pay and the culture of the company was awful so I've really have no interest in going through anything like that again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Em... Wait and see what it is like.

people leave jobs all the time, It shouldnt really colour your view.

Your view should be coloured by your own perception of the job when you start.

You always have the option to leave then ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I would say that a huge amount of places would have people moving on well within 2 years. If staff were leaving after a few weeks/months then maybe I'd worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭-Freebird-

Unless you've heard alarming things about how the place is run or how the staff is treated, I wouldn't let previous turnover deter me.

Don't forget, a couple of years ago people could leave one job and walk into another one for more money, that's not the case now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

CatFromHue wrote: »

I interviewed for a job last week and in the interview the interviewer mentioned that a few years back they used to have a problem with staff only staying a couple of years and then moving on.

Was the person interviewing you older than say 50? For the most part I wouldn't class that as a high turnover, a couple of years is good going these days. My dad still finds the idea of not having the 'job for life' strange. If they said people only stay a few months before moving on I would be more worried.

There could be a multitude of reasons why people move on after a couple of years. Pay, prospect of promotion, type of job (if it has a high burn out), does it require languages (may have staff living in Ireland for experience but returning home after a few years). I wouldn't be that worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

What sector is this in, I know in mine 2 years is normal, you would move so that you don't get stuck in your ways and also with most private companies it's the only way of upping your wages these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement