Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB ATM Card - living in China

Options
  • 19-12-2012 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

My brother has an AIB bank account but is now living in China. He has forgotten his ATM card PIN. He wants me to call them to see how this can be sorted.

Before I call, I'm wondering if they might be reluctant to send the new card and PIN letter to China. (Post I have sent to him previously didn't arrive.) Could I call the bank, say I am him, get the new card and PIN sent to his home address, then send him on the card and give him the PIN over the phone?

Or would there be no problem, from the banks point of view, with him being in China?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

He will need to contact the bank himself, they will send a new card and separate pin letter to the address that is on the account.

There will probably be no wiggle room there due to policy in the bank and avoiding potential fraud.

So you would have to forward the card and send the pin separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ppshay wrote: »
    My brother has an AIB bank account but is now living in China. He has forgotten his ATM card PIN. He wants me to call them to see how this can be sorted.

Before I call, I'm wondering if they might be reluctant to send the new card and PIN letter to China. (Post I have sent to him previously didn't arrive.) Could I call the bank, say I am him, get the new card and PIN sent to his home address, then send him on the card and give him the PIN over the phone?

Or would there be no problem, from the banks point of view, with him being in China?

If he has only forgotten the PIN, why do you need another card?

Is there a reason (other than cost and time difference) that he cannot call himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

He thought that a forgotten PIN meant a new card. I take it that it doesn't! After that, the post from Ireland is very unreliable (if they were to send a new pin). He was sent two letters and a small package from home about three months ago, no of which never arrived.

I told him to call them. I'm sure they will sort him out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Just get him to call the bank and get them to send the card to his Irish address, presumably I take it the same as yours. Then just open the letter yourself and text or ring and give him the pin.

Advertisement