Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Coursework B

Options
  • 19-12-2012 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Anybody started them?

What do you think?

Any tips or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Anybody started them?

What do you think?

Any tips or suggestions?

You talking about the project? I have my biology one done, just need to start on chemistry and I can start the write up.

A tip is, try make your project as original as possible, after all, on a rainy day, and after being correcting since 8am, the examiner won't be too impressed if it's just average. Include interesting facts about everything, and do research in your own time, these ones are very easy to do well with I think.

In the biology one, you test Vitamin C from juices and fruit etc, and in the way I tested for it, I had to use Acetone and Acedic acid to add to the water to help detect the vitamin. Acetone is used in Make up remover etc, you know? Just those little bits can go quite far, especially if it's different than the 300 other papers the Examiner has to correct :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

You talking about the project? I have my biology one done, just need to start on chemistry and I can start the write up.

A tip is, try make your project as original as possible, after all, on a rainy day, and after being correcting since 8am, the examiner won't be too impressed if it's just average. Include interesting facts about everything, and do research in your own time, these ones are very easy to do well with I think.

In the biology one, you test Vitamin C from juices and fruit etc, and in the way I tested for it, I had to use [BAcetone[/B] and Acedic acid to add to the water to help detect the vitamin. Acetone is used in Make up remover etc, you know? Just those little bits can go quite far, especially if it's different than the 300 other papers the Examiner has to correct :)

It's propanone now. ;) Not that it'll cost you anything in the JC but it's the IUPAC name for it.

What are the titles, out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bridgetown1

Slow Show wrote: »
    It's propanone now. ;) Not that it'll cost you anything in the JC but it's the IUPAC name for it.

What are the titles, out of curiosity?

Biology
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Compare by means of investigation the vitamin C content of a number of commercial and fresh fruit juices.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]Chemistry
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Compare by means of investigation methanol, propan-1-ol and candle wax in terms of their effectiveness as fuels.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]Physics
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Investigate any two factors that affect the output from a solar cell when light is shone on it.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

After just now realising these investigations must be our own work I've decided to do some research into what I will do before she asks us to do them, that way I'll be ready to go!

Have to admit approaching the Biology investigation was very easy! I just did some research on Vitamin C and was nearly straight away able to come up with an experiment!

Chemistry seemed to be awful tricky and limited, so I decided to leave it.

Physics, was a little harder but I managed to come up with something after some research! I just pray to god the equipment I need will be in school! It's not really something I can leave it :L

Hows everyone elses going? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Do you have to do your Coursework yourself?
    Our teachers told us what to do, and what to write in. We just did the experiments in groups :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Do you have to do your Coursework yourself?
    Our teachers told us what to do, and what to write in. We just did the experiments in groups :D

No you can do the experiments in groups, to speed up the process, but your write up has to be your own ;D Like the Journal in Religion and the Action Project :D

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

If domeone could point me in the direction of a website or books or something for help on these I would be very much appreciative :)

Our science teacher won't help us at all :/

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭chocolate98

i have the bio one done im startin chemistry tomorrow. we do it in groups though. the teacher decides the groups;P its not so bad tho did any one do the chemistry yet??????

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

I finished mine yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Chemistry is going to be the death of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Our teacher even said that's very hard and she's a chemistry teacher :rolleyes:

We're done the Biology one now and I'm half way through the Physics one atm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bridgetown1

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Our teacher even said that's very hard and she's a chemistry teacher :rolleyes:

don't worry. the 'chemistry' one is actually physics as it deals with heat energy release. then again, the 'biology' one is actually chemistry, as it is basically an assay of concentration of one chemical (vit. c) using an indicator (dcpip).

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Grian1

Did anyone write these up? We're supposed to write them up this Monday :eek:

Advertisement