Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Code Comment Best Practice

Options
  • 19-12-2012 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Student here,

Should code comments go to the right of the code..like this...
    int main(void)
    {
     int one = 2; /* declares a variable of type int, called one, with a value of 2 */
     int two = 3;
     int three = one + two;    /* adds variables named one and two */

printf("%d",three);            /* outputs the sum of one and two */
     return 0;
    }

or above the relevant line... like this??
    int main(void)
    {
        /* declares a variable of type int, called one, with a value of 2 */
        int one = 2;                        
        int two = 3;

/* adds variables named one and two */
        int three = one + two;                 

/* outputs the sum of one and two */
        printf("%d",three);            

return 0;
    }    

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Student here,

Should code comments go to the right of the code..like this...
    int main(void)
    {
     int one = 2; /* declares a variable of type int, called one, with a value of 2 */
     int two = 3;
     int three = one + two;    /* adds variables named one and two */

printf("%d",three);            /* outputs the sum of one and two */
     return 0;
    }

or above the relevant line... like this??
    int main(void)
    {
        /* declares a variable of type int, called one, with a value of 2 */
        int one = 2;                        
        int two = 3;

/* adds variables named one and two */
        int three = one + two;                 

/* outputs the sum of one and two */
        printf("%d",three);            

return 0;
    }    

My vote is for above the line, its just a matter of personal preference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

typically I would comment above the line also, but for some reason within a condition I always seem to comment afterwards

I think simple, short remarks go after the relevant line, longer explanations naturally go above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

I am self employed and therefore nobody sees my code.

I have a terrible habit of procrastinating and leaving comments for another day. Never get around to it!!! I'm a bold boy I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Preference for above the line but I would not be impressed if someone was commenting such simple lines of code.

I would rather have a meaningful description of the function, its inputs/outputs and any gotchas.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

Thanks.

Short comments to the right and longer ones above seems a sensible strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

amen wrote: »
    I would not be impressed if someone was commenting such simple lines of code.

This is one of the first programs the college got us to do for an introductory module in C.

Don`t worry, I wouldn't imagine anyone would comment such lines in a real world scenario

I am self employed and therefore nobody sees my code.

I have a terrible habit of procrastinating and leaving comments for another day. Never get around to it!!! I'm a bold boy I know.

Stop this immediately.
    Commenting is not something you do after the fact, you should comment as you go. Even if its only you, you are going to have to read your own code someday in the future and understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Generally above the line, but in some cases it can make more sense from a readability POV to do short one-word comments beside.

The simplest examle I can think of is a switch/case condition. Putting a comment above each case() would interfere with the flow of the code, so a short comment beside each case() statement would make it easier.

Thusly:
    switch(someVar) {

case("J"): //Joe
    	break;

case("O"): //John
    	break;

case("C"): //Jack
    	break;

case("N"): //Jane
    	break;
    }

I find this reads easier than
    switch(someVar) {
    	//Joe
    	case("J"): 
    	break;

//John
    	case("O"): 
    	break;

//Jack
    	case("C"): 
    	break;

//Jane
    	case("N"): 
    	break;
    }

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

To answer the question, I think above it looks better. You shouldn't be needing to comment individual lines to have to place it on the side. If the code is too complicated to see what it does at a glance then it needs to be re-written.

More generally however, I think commenting should be a thing of last resort as well. The code should be the documentation and written with clear variable/method/class names. If the method/function gets too long and complicated that you need a paragraph of text to describe what it does, then it should be re-factored.

Having to modify the code and then the comments all the time (because there are so many) just leads to comments that don't get updated and that's worse than nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Above the line for two reasons.

1. long lines make me cry
    2. I like code that reads as close to a book as possible.

In the western world we read up to down, left to right, I don't particularly want to read the code then read what it does. If the comments are good I won't need to read the code, therefore the comment should come first.

In my humblest anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

OP, if you're looking for some coding style guidelines I'd recommend this:

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/CodingStyle

If you like it there is a script that can check the style of a patch or file (scripts/checkpatch.pl) in kernel source - it's really handy.

You can also check http://www.x.org/wiki/CodingStyle

Both are huge projects, so keeping consistent coding style is quite important.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Wherever the company's coding standard says they should go; and if there's no standard, then wherever makes the comment&code more readable.

Anima wrote: »
    If the code is too complicated to see what it does at a glance then it needs to be re-written.
    Often you are going to have some complicated logic or case that deserves an explanation rather than forcing someone to step through the code. I want to know what it does, not necessarily how it does it.
    Having to modify the code and then the comments all the time (because there are so many) just leads to comments that don't get updated and that's worse than nothing at all.
    If you are modifying the code to do something different then the comments should be changed. If the comments shouldnt be there at all then remove them rather than update them imo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Another vote for above, it can give you an understanding of the code before you see it, so that you don't have to go reading back over the line after reading the comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

First you need to understand the purpose of comments, they enable you to return to the code and understand it, or someone else to maintain your code. in order to maintain code you need to understand the intended purpose of the code and also how functions are to be used (so you can extend functionality) something like the following would be my preferred template.
    /*********************************************************
     * Here we would describe the purpose of the function    *
     *  What parameters it expects and what it returns       *
     *  We might also include an example outlining  how it   *
     * should be called                                      * 
     *********************************************************/
    int main(void)
    {
        int one = 2;
        int two = 3;
        int three = one + two;    

/* Imagine this line does something esoteric or counter-intuitive *
        * so we need to explain why for the maintainer of the code       */
        printf("%d",three);          
        return 0;
    }

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

I have to agree with Anima here - I used to comment the hell out of everything but now I prefer to let my code speak for itself. I don't miss comments at all now. Even for complicated logic, using clear descriptive names and breaking up methods if necessary goes a long way towards making things easy enough to understand with minimal commenting. When the code is written nicely, a sentence of overview describing the function should suffice. In my opinion anyway.

As for the OP's question - I tend to find comments easiest to read when they are above the line, so that's where I put them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

GreeBo wrote: »
    Often you are going to have some complicated logic or case that deserves an explanation rather than forcing someone to step through the code.
    Complicated code is bad code though. The majority of the code in an application isn't going to be like that and if it is then that's a bad sign. I'm talking in general here and in cases where code clarity is sacrificed for performance or whatever, then yes a comment is well justified.
    I want to know what it does, not necessarily how it does it.
    That's what a method name is for and you only need to write that once or refactor using the IDE if you find that it isn't clear enough. A comment requires you to keep two seperate things 1:1 which leaves scope for error.
    If you are modifying the code to do something different then the comments should be changed. If the comments shouldnt be there at all then remove them rather than update them imo.
    That's what I'm saying though, "should be" changed often leads to "never changed" I find and then you're left with comments that say one thing and code that does another.

It's better to have just the code (that's written clearly) because it can't lie unlike the comments.

Complicated code is bad code though. The majority of the code in an application isn't going to be like that and if it is then that's a bad sign. I'm talking in general here and in cases where code clarity is sacrificed for performance or whatever, then yes a comment is well justified.

That's what a method name is for and you only need to write that once or refactor using the IDE if you find that it isn't clear enough. A comment requires you to keep two seperate things 1:1 which leaves scope for error.

That's what I'm saying though, "should be" changed often leads to "never changed" I find and then you're left with comments that say one thing and code that does another.

It's better to have just the code (that's written clearly) because it can't lie unlike the comments.

I disagree that you can learn all you need to know from method names, sure most of the time you can, but sometimes, particularly with an entry point for example, the name isnt going to cut it and you will need some documentation.

If the problem is people not updating needed comments when they update the code then thats not the comments fault, its the developer doing it.

Esterhase wrote: »
    I don't miss comments at all now.
    You wouldn't be the one that misses them.
    It's the people who wind up debugging your code six months after you move company to a new job that miss them...

Above the line for two reasons.

1. long lines make me cry
    2. I like code that reads as close to a book as possible.

In the western world we read up to down, left to right, I don't particularly want to read the code then read what it does. If the comments are good I won't need to read the code, therefore the comment should come first.

In my humblest anyways.

The comment is what the writer thought the code was doing, always read the code.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    You wouldn't be the one that misses them.
    It's the people who wind up debugging your code six months after you move company to a new job that miss them...

My current company rarely uses them, and has had this policy as long as I've been here. We all manage just fine, and if/when I leave I'll be replaced by a person who will also be expected to read and write clean code that explains itself with minimal comments. Don't believe me if you don't want to, but we have few problems understanding each others code.

My current company rarely uses them, and has had this policy as long as I've been here. We all manage just fine, and if/when I leave I'll be replaced by a person who will also be expected to read and write clean code that explains itself with minimal comments. Don't believe me if you don't want to, but we have few problems understanding each others code.

Yeah, after five years working in places like that (and nine more in other places where that would be grounds for a long chat with a senior developer in an office with a closed door, at best), I'm just going to politely disagree until I can get to within arms reach of enough alcohol to make what you just said stop hurting the inside of my head.

Maybe, but your productivity is likely suffering.
    The comment is what the writer thought the code was doing, always read the code.
    Again, its counter productive to have everyone read and understand every bit of code they interact with. Do you read your way down through every part of java.io package before you read from a file, or do you read the appropriate javadoc/api?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Clean Code and no comments is the way forward.

The code comments iteself.

Now if it's a complex piece of code and a comment is required, then my vote goes with above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Sparks wrote: »
    Yeah, after five years working in places like that (and nine more in other places where that would be grounds for a long chat with a senior developer in an office with a closed door, at best), I'm just going to politely disagree until I can get to within arms reach of enough alcohol to make what you just said stop hurting the inside of my head.

Mine is a Guinness ;)

Smoggy wrote: »
    Clean Code and no comments is the way forward.
    426203_10150820920243986_506203985_12589-1.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Almost exclusively above the line, or to be more accurate above the block. Beside the line often means having to scroll right to read which is just awful. Also, as someone else mentioned, individual lines of code should be pretty clear.

The one exception I can think of right now is that for some complicated or more obscure API calls I might put a short note after. Even then if the comment needs to be more than a few words I'll just put it above.

Fair enough. I know what works for me doesn't work for everyone else.
    Again, its counter productive to have everyone read and understand every bit of code they interact with. Do you read your way down through every part of java.io package before you read from a file, or do you read the appropriate javadoc/api?

I don't think anyone's saying it's a good idea to pore over each and every line of code to understand what it's doing. If I glance over a File class and see a method called setReadOnly, I don't need a comment to tell me that the method sets a file to be read only. If I need more detail than that I read the method itself which, if written well, has its steps laid out in a clear manner. If there is some hidden piece of functionality in there that would need a comment to explain, the method should be renamed to include that.

Those short paragraphs explaining what the function does are the kinds of comments I am all too happy to do without, and those are the ones I don't miss. I'm not up for going 100% comment free at all, but I do think aiming towards the minimal end of the spectrum is a good thing.

I tend to trust Sun (and 15 years of trial by usage) more than the clown over the corridor who I saw stumble in hungover on a Tuesday, but if I were debugging an issue in java.io I'd read the code in the method in question rather than the comment that said it was wonderful and shat rainbows ;)

• Advertisement

I tend to trust Sun (and 15 years of trial by usage) more than the clown who I saw stumble in hungover on a Tuesday, but if I were debugging an issue in java.io I'd read the code in the method in question rather than the comment that said it was wonderful and shat rainbows ;)

Exactly, read the comments to figure out what it does, read the code if you need to know more.
    btw Oracle have bugs too yunno.

Advertisement