Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pancetta

Options
  • 19-12-2012 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Having read through the Christmas meal thread I'm thinking of cooking the brussels sprouts with pancetta.

For the day that'll be in it I'm looking for recomendations on where to buy pancetta

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

almost anywhere, its basically bacon. dunnes tesco etc rather than spar.

if you need to substitute then you can use the bacon lardons sold in most supermarkets.

this is how i did mysprouts last year and it was lovely.

chop the sprouts into 1/4's or slice them thin.
    cook the bacon till turning golden, add sprouts
    add some chicken or veg stock to the pan and cook until the sprouts soften, salt, pepper and some caraway seeds. serve with a knob of butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Any proper delicatessen - and by that I don't mean a so called deli counter that sells breakfast rolls and wedges to school children for their breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

They should have it (or similar) in most of the supermarkets - use lardons or smoked streaky rashers (both available in Tesco and anywhere else) if you can't find 'authentic' pancetta (which I believe is just pork belly, so probably the same as streaky bacon ?)

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

You can get packets of lardens of pancetta in Aldi, they're the tastiest ones I've found in any supermarket.

the only difference between pancetta and bacon is that bacon is smoked after it is cured. (thanks wikipedia) so bacon is not just a substitute its an improvement. once again bacon makes another dish great, is there anything you cant do bacon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Did anyone look at this thread and think "Placenta!! In the Cooking and Recipes forum!"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

is there anything you cant do bacon?

No.

I always use smoked rashers and cut them up. Or smoked streaky. Hickory I think tastes the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

the only difference between pancetta and bacon is that bacon is smoked after it is cured. (thanks wikipedia) so bacon is not just a substitute its an improvement. once again bacon makes another dish great, is there anything you cant do bacon?

What about unsmoked or 'green' bacon?

the difference between bacon and unsmoked bacon is that one is smoked and the other is unsmoked

Advertisement