Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one tried the Ghost Pepper / Bhut Jolokia?

Options
  • 19-12-2012 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

http://www.cheekychile.com/index.php...roducts_id=109

anyone tried this, I've only gone as far as Encona West Indian Hot Pepper Sauce myself, which I like.

If this stuff is as hot as people make out I'd say it's inedible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Im not sure if its legit, as i havent been yet, but there is a place on camden street dub. which does ghost chilli chicken wings. im sure they would let you try there, even if only for the lols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Cortina's in Dundrum do a ghost chilli salsa, for which you've to sign a disclaimer before you try. I've had it, and I have my doubts about how much ghost chilli is actually in it - it was uncomfortably hot, but that was it. Now, I've cultivated a MASSIVE chilli resistance over the years, but would have expected to be in actual pain after ghost chilli, and I wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

was it nice tho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

was it nice tho?

All you can taste is heat, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

I made myself my own sauce with it, had to wear latex gloves while eating the wings. lips were burning for an hour after. still tingling 3hrs later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

10 minute burn sauce is made from these chillies. I tried it. It's the hottest sauce I've ever had, and I've had many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I had a bag of dried ones, I only tasted a small bit on its own, very very hot but manageable with some milk. I used it to make a hotsauce which was ok. The flavour of the ghost chilli itself is very pungent, their good but your better off with Habenero or something with less heat and a better flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Wintergreen

Im not sure if its legit, as i havent been yet, but there is a place on camden street dub. which does ghost chilli chicken wings. im sure they would let you try there, even if only for the lols.

Same place has a burger called The Ghost which, as the name suggests, contains ghost chilli's. On the menu it said you had to sign a disclaimer before you ordered it!! I was there a few weeks ago and tried the wings (which were tasty but not too hot) but im very tempted to go back and try the burger tomorrow. I signed a disclaimer before I ate a burrito once and it was quiet an experience lol. I wonder would this burger be hotter...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Cortina's in Dundrum do a ghost chilli salsa, for which you've to sign a disclaimer before you try. I've had it, and I have my doubts about how much ghost chilli is actually in it - it was uncomfortably hot, but that was it. Now, I've cultivated a MASSIVE chilli resistance over the years, but would have expected to be in actual pain after ghost chilli, and I wasn't.

Same here.
    I tried a chilli sauce made from some naga scorpion hybrid (supposedly the chilli that took the title of hottest off the ghost chilli). I would have described it as uncomfortably hot also, but not crippling heat.

I'm guessing in these situations "made from" basically means "contains". So its probably just a nondescript basic very hot sauce with a token ghost chilli per batch for marketing purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

The place on Camden street is called yum. I had the wings there. They are quite hot but I ate them all with some milk and dry bread. The chef makes the sauce fresh when you order the wings so he decides how hot to make them. Just tell him what sauces you've had and he will judge from that. Sound bloke. Might go back soon and try the burger

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭robertb

Should have mentioned that fresh chilli pods are available at JCs in Swords and Fallon & Byrne in the City centre. The growing season is pretty much over now but pods are still available at both shops as of February.

By the way, the ghost pepper or bhut jolokia is no longer the hottest pepper in the world. It rates just over 1 million scoville heat units (SHUs). The Trinidad Moruga scorpion is now in the Guinness book of records as the hottest. It averages at 1.4 million SHUs and has topped 2 million!!! Another pepper - the Carolina reaper - is reported to have topped 2.3 million and averages at 1.6 million. It is currently being tested by 2 laboratories in the US and results are due this month. For the record, the Jay's ghost scorpion is also regarded as hotter than the ghost pepper....again, tests are being done and results are pending. The chilli world has gotten very active in recent years with growers all vying with each other to claim the "hottest in the world". Unfortunately only the ghost pepper is available here at the moment. Pods can be bought on-line but suppliers will usually only send them in the dried form to avoid problems with customs. They're supposed to be just as hot but in my experience they aren't (see my videos on Youtube). That's why I'll be growing my own this year :) Cheers, Robert

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I'm off to Trinidad & Tobago tomorrow for Carnival. I plan to drop in to CARDI to see if there are any new developments to the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion pepper.

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭robertb

How about bringing me back a bunch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

robertb wrote: »
    How about bringing me back a bunch :)

We'll see...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

cojomo2 wrote: »
    10 minute burn sauce is made from these chillies. I tried it. It's the hottest sauce I've ever had, and I've had many.

Have a bottle of this since last year longer u leave it in fridge worse it gets!!.
    Its more then likely the 7 million scoville extract in it though that kills ya :pac:

Ive tried that burger in yum the sauce is pretty much pure ghost chilli can tell from all seeds in it and the really rich red color. Being honest heat didnt bother me was more the taste im not into the fruity taste of peppers like Ghost chilli or Habanaros. Ive hated fruit since was a kid but LOVE spicy food so its kinda a kick in the hole :P.

Ive eaten a ghost chilli pepper on its own first thing is fook it burns second thing is the bloody awful hickups i got for a while made me feel like was gonna vom. It passed after a while though. All ill say is all this kinda stuff has to come out somewhere !!! :pac: it will get you both ways believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

A guy at a festival gave me a nip of ghost chile* whiskey. Pretty awesome frankly. I'm sure it could be made at home.

*Southwest spelling ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I tried a kind of puree sauce made out of them it was hot a burning hot but not the hottest thing i have eaten. I thought they tasted rank.:)

Advertisement