Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrytown Trilogy DVD box set

Options
  • 19-12-2012 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭

Anyone own this new set? I've been sniffing around it for a few weeks, but wondering if The Van is still the badly edited 20th Century Fox DVD release? Or if the company behind the set (Beaumex) have issued new releases of the 3 movies including an uncut print of The Van (Which had been available in France and other countries) ? I'd like to buy a copy, but if The Van is still the chopped version (The dinner scene with Wally is deleted entirely, which is made sillier as the mention of Wally in his car with a girl toward the end is left in, prompting the viewer to ask "Who is Wally?"), then i wouldn't bother. I've found no information to it so far, a little help would be nice, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

RTE gives the full length as 296 mins which suggests that it's a cut version (the full would be 309 mins) http://shop.rte.ie/Product/The-Barrytown-Triology-Box-Set-3-DVDs/2437/2220.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

goose2005 wrote: »
    RTE gives the full length as 296 mins which suggests that it's a cut version (the full would be 309 mins) http://shop.rte.ie/Product/The-Barrytown-Triology-Box-Set-3-DVDs/2437/2220.4[/QUOTE]

That's a shame, they had a chance to fix it, The Van is completely messed up on DVD, between the long scene chopped and the countless over-dubbed lines, would've been great to have the original version, it's one of my favourite Irish movies. Thanks Goose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

what was cut from the movie?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Could you not just import the uncut version?

allanb49 wrote: »
    what was cut from the movie?

There's a long scene with one of their neighbours (Wally) where they visit his house, there's a lot to it, so long since i've seen this version, but there's a lot of language and Wally throws a fit over the food, there's mentions of Princess Diana too. Stupidly, they leave the scene near the end with Wally in the back of a car and Larry (Colm Meaney) calling him a dirty b***ard or something to that effect, so anyone who's never seen the movie will wonder who they're talking about. There's a lot of overdubs through the movie too, a lot of F-bombs replaced with less offensive words, which ruins the movie. A real shambles.

• Advertisement

Could you not just import the uncut version?

From what i know, the US version is the same as the UK DVD. The only other country selling it in France, the uncut version, but OOP since around 2005. It can be bought from sellers for around €30.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

What's odd about this is that when the films were made, every effort was made to distance them from each other, to the point of changing the names of all the recurring characters from each film, basically hiding the fact that they were a trilogy at all.

As I understand it this was due to the rights to the three books being sold to three different production companies?

icdg wrote: »
    What's odd about this is that when the films were made, every effort was made to distance them from each other, to the point of changing the names of all the recurring characters from each film, basically hiding the fact that they were a trilogy at all.

As I understand it this was due to the rights to the three books being sold to three different production companies?

Back when The Commitments came out, 20th Century Fox took claim over the Rabbitte family name for the movie and future movies, but when BBC moved on to the next book (The Snapper), Fox refused requests for the Rabbitte name to be used, so they changed the character names for both The Snapper and The Van, despite Fox Searchlight having a hand in The Van. A very silly snipe with companies.

Advertisement