Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connect UPC Box to TV

• 19-12-2012 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Hi

Bought a new Samsung 6800. Its currently connected via scart adapter

I was looking at connecting them differently, the TV has 2 other inputs for satellite...

I tried connecting the Out port on the UPC to the TV via Co Ax but not working

Whats the best way other than Scart

This is the TV...

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE40ES6800UXXU

Cheers

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

If the UPC box has a HDMI out, use that.

Most people who buy a tv with an integrated satellite tuner, would do so with a view to getting rid of UPC.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

use HDMI it's the only one that will give high definition

in terms of quality
    next is SCART setup for RGB
    then SCART for (the setting that isn't RGB)
    then CoAx - you'd have to tune the channel and fun and games if something else on the cable is using the same channel

the only reason for using CoAx is to get Saorview if your TV supports it or for legacy stuff like OLD consoles , 1980's home computers or UPC analog channels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

ah..Box doesnt have HDMI...

Scart it is so..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Well then you dont have the TV you listed because the spec says it has three HDMI connections, I have a SAmsung TV and the HDMI are on the right side of the set.

Connectivity
    • 3 HDMI
    • 3 USB
    • Headphone x 1
    • Wireless LAN Built-in available
    • Component In (Y / Pb / Pr) x 1
    • Composite In (AV) x 1 (Common Use for Component Y)
    • Digital Audio Out (Optical) x 1
    • PC In (via HDMI)
    • Scart x 1
    • Ethernet (LAN) x 1
    • RF In (Satellite Input) x 1
    • DVI Audio In (Mini Jack) x 1
    • RF In (Terrestrial / Cable input) x 1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Skull Murphy

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Well then you dont have the TV you listed because the spec says it has three HDMI connections

OP says the box doesn't have HDMI, not the tv.

A more interesting factor here, already mentioned above, is why someone would go to the trouble & expense of sourcing a tv with built in sat. tuner & then use it with subscription cable. Maybe that's just a short term arrangement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Sorry my fault read the OP wrong, as a matter of interest I have my Samsung connected to a dish and tuned in all the free channels, the picture quality is brilliant.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moving to Cable

OP on UPC boxes that have co-ax outputs its usually only for analogue-pass through.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How would one go about upgrading the UPC box ?

Would threatening to cancel work or would silver have to cross palms

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Taking the HD package is the only guaranteed way of getting a HDMI-capable box. Its possible for customers with NTL and Chorus STBs to swap their box for a UPC STB by phoning UPC, but they have to pay the self-install charge of €45 (this will also give them On-Demand). Still no guarantee you'll get a HDMI-capable box but you could ask nicely and see if they'll give you one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

icdg wrote: »
    Taking the HD package is the only guaranteed way of getting a HDMI-capable box. Its possible for customers with NTL and Chorus STBs to swap their box for a UPC STB by phoning UPC, but they have to pay the self-install charge of €45 (this will also give them On-Demand). Still no guarantee you'll get a HDMI-capable box but you could ask nicely and see if they'll give you one.

I already have a UPC HD+ box and an old chorus box in the other room. Since I'm paying for HD and + would I get an upgrade to a HD+ box for the €45 fee?

• Advertisement
Advertisement