Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Taxi company

Options
  • 19-12-2012 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey guys,

New to Cork here...wondering what's the best/most reliable/consistent taxi company/service? Heading into town later and I just want to go with someone good.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I use Ace Cabs, find them reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I use Cork taxi co-op and likewise fine them excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Satellite Taxis are pretty good. Got a handy android app as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Id say Ace tooo (except if you get a chap called Brian his a muppet) or Taxi Co-OP are loverly too

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Satellite Taxis are pretty good. Got a handy android app as well.

I second this. The app is really handy, gives you 20% off. They have it for iphone too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Léan wrote: »
    I second this. The app is really handy, gives you 20% off. They have it for iphone too.

Satellite Taxis are the biggest bunch of thiefs ive ever used...They start running their meter from the moment they get your address on there computer also have a call out charge and an extra person charge

I use K Cabs ALL the time and find them great no call out charge and from Togher/Ballyphehane/The Lough into town is only 6 euros

Last time i used Satellite was from The Deanrock too Sullivans key for me and The Miss's 13 euro the fare was!!!I didnt flag the cab either a friend of mine rang it!!The most that should be is 8 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Andip wrote: »
    I use Cork taxi co-op and likewise fine them excellent

I second Taxi Co-Op. Their drivers are very professional and punctual. Never had any issues with them and they are our households go to cab company.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Another ace cab user here. Never had an issue with them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cork Taxi Co-op are by far the best, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Satellite Taxis are the biggest bunch of thiefs ive ever used...They start running their meter from the moment they get your address on there computer also have a call out charge and an extra person charge

I use K Cabs ALL the time and find them great no call out charge and from Togher/Ballyphehane/The Lough into town is only 6 euros

Last time i used Satellite was from The Deanrock too Sullivans key for me and The Miss's 13 euro the fare was!!!I didnt flag the cab either a friend of mine rang it!!The most that should be is 8 quid!

Wow have to disagree with you there. I use them quite regularly and find them very good value. One of the cheapest taxi companies i've used in Cork. Usually around €7 into town from Douglas. I've found Taxi Co-Op to be the most expensive anything ranging from €10-13 for the same journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭grange mac

I always use yellow cabs by the courthouse, cost me 20 to go to airport and got an independent taxi on way back charged us 28....i said seems expensive and he said the meter dont lie....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I use appollo. I like that if their going to be an hour they tell you rather then saying 20 minutes and coming in an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I use appollo. I like that if their going to be an hour they tell you rather then saying 20 minutes and coming in an hour.

I used Apollo all my life and thought them great, did they not close though? Re-opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I moved to clonakilty about 4 years ago so havent used for a good while but its the first I heard of it.

murphym7 wrote: »
    I used Apollo all my life and thought them great, did they not close though? Re-opened?

Alollo and B line all merged into one company as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Blue Cabs on 021-4393939 are grand and fast and a fair price as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Satellite I don't use any other!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭aelune

I ended up using Cork Taxi Co-Op...I tried others but no answer. Strange.
    Anyway Cork Taxi Co-Op were not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I use Glen Eire if I need a cab. 021 450 0500. They're reliable and not too pricey.

OTOH. DON'T touch Lee Cabs, Yellow Cabs or Shandon Cabs with a barge pole! Awful....

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭aelune

haha I love how everyone has such polar opposite opinions! Do keep the suggestions coming though, everyone! I'm noting it all - thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

K cabs are the best around, use them for our pub all the time. They gave us a phone to use so it costs us nothing to ring them.

Dave147 wrote: »
    K cabs are the best around, use them for our pub all the time. They gave us a phone to use so it costs us nothing to ring them.

everyone has that free phone number

its dead handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

aelune wrote: »
    Hey guys,

New to Cork here...wondering what's the best/most reliable/consistent taxi company/service? Heading into town later and I just want to go with someone good.

Cheers.

I normally use a hackney company that is nearest to where I currently am located. Failing that then I would get a Taxi.
    At this time of year they will all be busy at the 'busy times' if you know what I mean.
    Lots of apps now available to get a local cab from where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Faith wrote: »
    Cork Taxi Co-op are by far the best, IMO.
    +1
    By far the best

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

Taxi coop, no doubt there head and shoulders above the rest

Everyone here useing Taxi's do ye really not mind paying over the odd's for the fare?

Hackneys are far cheaper

Everyone here useing Taxi's do ye really not mind paying over the odd's for the fare?

Hackneys are far cheaper
    That's a myth, there are no full time hackney bases in cork, the nearest hackney base is in carrigaline, while some taxi companies in cork like Wilton, yellow, and arrow do have a few hackneys, they charge as much, and sometimes more than taxis

Alollo and B line all merged into one company as far as i know

Arrow bought them both afaik, Arrow now operate from the B line base, Apollo base is closed.

corkonion wrote: »
    That's a myth, there are no full time hackney bases in cork, the nearest hackney base is in carrigaline, while some taxi companies in cork like Wilton, yellow, and arrow do have a few hackneys, they charge as much, and sometimes more than taxis

Nope its not...got satelitte cabs not so long ago from my local too my house and the fare was 8:50 whilst usen K Cabs (or B Line when they were open if K didnt answer) its at most 6!!Whilst alot of the time you ring K Or B Line and car with a taxi plate will pull up they dont run the meter when its a phoned in job!

The Taxi bases run the meter from the time they leave the base as there is often 2-3 euros on the clock before you even get into the taxi!

• Advertisement

Nope its not...got satelitte cabs not so long ago from my local too my house and the fare was 8:50 whilst usen K Cabs (or B Line when they were open if K didnt answer) its at most 6!!Whilst alot of the time you ring K Or B Line and car with a taxi plate will pull up they dont run the meter when its a phoned in job!

The Taxi bases run the meter from the time they leave the base as there is often 2-3 euros on the clock before you even get into the taxi!
    Both k cabs and bline ( now arrow) are taxi companies not hackney, and its illegal for them to transport you without running their meters...the starting fare ( which covers the first 1 km) in all taxis is not 2-3 euro, it is by regulation €4.10 by day €4.45 by night. Satellite are perhaps the only company in cork that still charge the €2 pick up charge and the €1 per extra passenger fee, that's where you difference comes in, there are no hackney companies still operating in cork city

Advertisement