Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy towing chain??

Options
  • 19-12-2012 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi guys,long time prowler here,but i dont post alot,anyway im looking for a good heavy chain for pulling tractors with,have a few at home,but they are very old and the links are near bet on them and they are a bit short, must be strong enough to pull tractors which are stuck or for pull starting the odd yoke,ive been to the kilkenny car boot sale but found nothing there.
    Any ideas where i could find one?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi guys,long time prowler here,but i dont post alot,anyway im looking for a good heavy chain for pulling tractors with,have a few at home,but they are very old and the links are near bet on them and they are a bit short, must be strong enough to pull tractors which are stuck or for pull starting the odd yoke,ive been to the kilkenny car boot sale but found nothing there.
    Any ideas where i could find one?

Seen a few heavy ones on the back of readymix lorries, I wonder why:(:(

Maybe ring local readymix suppliers and find out where they get them. Auctions are good places or a decent old fashioned hardware shop, maybe order one there.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

army surplus stores always have a good supply of heavy chains

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭The prowler

yellow50HX wrote: »
    army surplus stores always have a good supply of heavy chains

Do you know of any army supply stores around? Im from wexford and dont no of any around my way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Keep an eye on Donedeal.ie. A few on there even now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

pakalasa wrote: »
    Keep an eye on Donedeal.com. A few on there even now.

http://www.donedeal.com .....:rolleyes: .ie :p Your a great man for the googling Pak!!

• Advertisement

Ha,dont think il have much luck on donedeal.com but i have been checking donedeal.ie a bit and found very little,il keep looking anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Most machinery auctions always have a few for sale. Not sure where u living but the one held in Portlaoise every month has them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Try kilmore quay for a guy supplying trawlers. I got chain from Nicko Murphy in Dunmore a few years ago but I think he's closed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Odelay

Would you not use a web sling? A lot easier to move around and takes up less space in the cab? I would think thy are cheaper than a chain and easier to handle. Bit or stretch in them, no harm. A 25 ton lifting sling would pull most things and don't have to worry about a chain flying around if it breaks.

Don't leave it in the wet, it will rot
    Ask for it to be marked for towing and I think (but not certain), that will get you out of an annual inspection, if so the same would happen for a chain/wire rope.
    Do NOT tie a knot in a sling, it will never come out!

Opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Odelay wrote: »
    Would you not use a web sling? A lot easier to move around and takes up less space in the cab?

Opinions?

My very first car was an old K10 micra 1L van. It was cheap and cheerful and if I ever wanted parts I got them secondhand off a local breaker. I often seen him cutting out seatbelts and using then to pull the cars around.

Now they probably wouldn't tow a machine, but a car/jeep... sound ;)

Sorry OP... I know this tread is about chains!

Muckit wrote: »
    My very first car was an old K10 micra 1L van. It was cheap and cheerful and if I ever wanted parts I got them secondhand off a local breaker. I often seen him cutting out seatbelts and using then to pull the cars around.

Now they probably wouldn't tow a machine, but a car/jeep... sound ;)

Sorry OP... I know this tread is about chains!

I don't get it???? A 25 ton lifting sling will lift the same weight as a 25 ton chain. Just because it is a chain doesn't mean it will lift more. I have chains, they are hard work to pull around a muddy field, a long sling can be thrown over my shoulder.
    Hell I have chain on my kitchen sink..... but wouldn't pull much with it.

I do think you should talk to trawlers, maybe they have sometime to offer.

Muckit, with all respects I'm suggesting something liks this ...http://www.totalaccess.co.uk/upload/managerImage/equipment/Lifting3.jpg

Would that not pull something out of a field safer than a seat belt? I have used these, they are sooooo easy to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Merida

If your in Wexford Paddy Denby in ferns will make you a chain to whatever size you want.

Thanks for the replies lads,
    @ Merida, i might try denbys,they arent often cheap though,and id imagine something like that could be quiet dear

@ Odelay, any idea where i might pick up one of them good slings? they look like a good job but what are they like for sudden pulls etc? because arent they a bit lke ratchet straps? I had a strap that i used a few times but on a sudden pull it just snapped

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Spaldings do tow chains, you can ring them to get a price (every farmer should have a Spaldings catalogue) and pay by card, it'll be delivered a few days later.

Some idea of the webbing slings here.

http://www.theratchetshop.ie/ratchet-straps-lifting-systems-webbing-slings-c-26_29.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I've a collection of web slings at home. Company I work for throw them out regurly, after a visual safety inspection. There 90% ok and fine for jobs around the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

If you're towing something thats stuck or bogged down you should use a snatch strap. For ordinary towing, a 10t webbed sling is probably sufficent.

Word of caution, never snatch tow with a chain or ordinary sling/strap or tow with a snatch strap.
    Once a chain or sling had been used for towing it can never be used for lifting legally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Once a chain or sling had been used for towing it can never be used for lifting legally.[/Quote]

Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAtocork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

sea12 wrote: »
    Once a chain or sling had been used for towing it can never be used for lifting legally.

Why is that?[/Quote]
    Because it could have been used beyond rated capacity, i got a pair of 20 foot brothers after i pulled a crane out of a site crane driver said theyd have to be tested and they probably fail but they had taken a fair pull it took the weight of the digger sitting on the front of the tracks to move the crane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

All slings are certified to a safe working load ( SWL ) If they ahve been used to a lift beyond this it , may affect their safety - as said above .

Try wire ropes in wicklow :

http://www.wireropes.ie/

Advertisement