Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne - work or house first?

Options
  • 19-12-2012 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Hi

Myself and my girlfriend are going to Melbourne at the end of Jan on a WHV with a view to getting sponsored. We both have degrees, qualifications and 4 years experience in accounting/finance positions.

Just wondering is it best to look for a job or place to live first? Our idea is to use an Air bnb for around a month while looking for work and then when we know what money we are on we can find a place to live.

The other option is to just go house hunting straight off but obviously there are risks there too. Can anyone give me their experience/advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's a bit of a risk getting the house first. Until you know where you'll be working, you don't really know what kind of commute you're letting yourself in for.

Plus, houses in Oz are let unfurnished. When you rent, you're immediately going to have to go out and acquire furniture, appliances, etc. So there's a bit of a capital outlay up front. You'll probably be a bit happier incurring all that when you know what you're earning.

Most people stay in a hostel until they get settled. The B&B sector isn't huge, and it isn't particularly cheap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Get a job first would be my advice.

Melbourne is pretty sprawling so while it may appear on Google maps that something is relatively central in reality it could be the opposite.

Also, dare I say, it could be tricky to get a job in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Rubadubchub

Def get a job before signing a lease. In my experience even with a degree and 3/4 years experience it can be difficult getting into a company straight away. All depends on how your industry is performing at the time in my opinion. I have 3 years experience and a degree in Logistics + 8 years experience in warehousing and i couldnt get work in Brisbane for love nor money doing anything. The mrs has a degree and 4 years experience as an editor and she was the same. Had to up and move to Sydney eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

One other factor is that landlords are a bit reluctant to sign a lease with someone who doesn't have a job. Your negotiating muscle in the housing market if increased if both of you are in respectable employments.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Thanks for the replies. Seems a job is the priority then. I can see loads of jobs online that I'm qualified to do, I guess the issue is the WHV and obviously the different laws/regulations over there. I'm willing to step down a level though to get comfortable there before going for longer term jobs.

I'm going to start contacting recruiters in early Jan and if it doesn't work out in Melbourne there's always Sydney. I'll keep positive for now anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

There must be heaps of Irish accountants in Melbourne. Every second person on boards seems to work in accounting/finance

Advertisement