Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracking a website Facebook App using Google Analytics...

Options
  • 19-12-2012 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I *think* I might have some of the answers to this, but it's analysis paralysis for me at the moment.

I know if I wanted to track an Android or iOS app in GA, it could be a case of using the Google Analytics SDK etc, and there's lots of info on that in the right places.

However, what if I wanted to track all activity that comes from a Facebook/social activity just coming from the website. If it were a button or inbuilt app on the site. So, I only wanted to track this traffic, no other traffic.

I know it's already in GA, in the "social" section. But if there was something in particular, like a new type of app or button that's going to be added to the site. Could this be tracked by using a filter, or an advanced segment or something similar?

Would I need to set up a profile, and apply a filter at the top level? Or create an event? This is where I am unsure.

In essence, a profile that will just give me stats on all social traffic.

My hunch is that it could be an "event" that would track all activity off a particular button?

I hope this isn't too vague in what I am trying to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Make a separate Segment on your GA and track only punters coming from f/b:

See grab

Sorry. perhaps i read this too quickly - you want to isolate a specific bit of traffic from a site??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, would it be possible to just examine a particular app on the site and how it affects traffic, conversions etc,

Would I be right in thinking it's the Analytics SDK I should be referring to?

Seemingly if the app is in a frame - it will have a unique ID. Which leads me to suggest: (and this is vague and I dont completely understand the question/site/app all of the above!)

Firstly - make sure that your IP is not excluded for the site for the purposes of testing:

If you go to the 'app' and do the required action - ie button linking to the end site.

Google is like Vegas - it strips everything.

Go to your raw data ie your log file on the server
    See if that particular referring URL is appended with a unique identifier or the likes.
    If yes – you’re home and dry
    Set up a profile and make sure that in that profile the URL’s are not appended (lots of sites have info on that profile)

Then in that same profile segment the data based on showing only referrers with that unique identifier

? does that make any sense – it makes some sense to to me..... and the voices…..

ed:

or can you add a "ref attribute"
    http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/like/

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Ah yes, I was reading about this yesterday, but couldn't get my head around it to be honest. This is an area I am a bit out of my depth in, but is worth looking into anyway I think..

• Advertisement
Advertisement