Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue cats and scratching

• 19-12-2012 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been stalking all the pictures and threads on here for ages but never posted as I've no pets yet. I am seriously thinking of getting a cat from a rescue shelter but I'm worried about scratching as I'm in rented accommodation (I'd be squaring this with the landlady before I get the cat itself). Would it be a better idea to get a 1 year old cat say or a kitten to try and avert the scratching or is it just a cat by cat basis as to the whether the scratch things up or not? I'd get a scratching post of course but I wanted to see if ye had any thoughts on this.

Thanks,
    CC82

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

You can always get a pet insurance with Third Party Liability, this covers almost every damage.

But on the other side, from what I experienced with my two lads, they are in and out all day, they don't scratch the furniture that much (because they are outdoors, maybe?).

Have got blankets over the sofas anyway, and a scratchpost...but that one is more for decoration purposes, they never use it :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd get more then one scratching post and put them at strategic locations (i.e. close to things you're afraid they may scratch).

Also make sure you play with the cat until it's exhausted (on floor panting slightly) at a regular time every day (cats like routine and if you can do it twice even better, takes 10 to 45 min depending on cat) with something like "Da bird" (exact toy will depend on cat but "Da bird" is very popular) and then feed the cat. This will help keeping the cat from having excessive energy (and hence reduce risk of scratching wrong things).

It is really a cat to cat thing what they scratch but by having multiple scratching items around (keep in mind you want a pole that's tall enough they can stand on the hind legs and stretch out properly) and playing with the cat you should not have any (or very limited) issues with scratching on furniture. Remember they scratch to improve their claws and sisal rope is much preferable to wood or furniture (well unless you get them excited :P ).

Also ask the land lady to remove any furniture you'd be concerned about (I had a land lady remove her leather sofas before we got cats for that exact reason; could not be sure the cats would not try to scratch them a few times).

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CorkClaire82

Whatever cat I get would be an inside cat 100% as I don't really want to risk them getting knocked down, the estate is quiet but I wouldn't like to chance it (not saying it's wrong or anything).

Covering the furniture and the insurance is probably a good idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Make sure you get them a tower or two that looks out in the garden as well (cats love that and it's a scratching post as a bonus) and some cat grass if you can find it (I prefer buying grown but you can get seeds and grow yourself but my cats always pulled out the seeds when I tried).

Oh and covering the furniture will not work to well from my experience; they tend to get behind what ever you cover it with :P. You can use double sided tape if you find them scratching / going on something you don't want (once again limit the use to not get them used to it); it works with most cats.

Few more things; if you're expecting to be gone for the day working consider getting two cats (ask for siblings or cats that have bonded in the shelter to avoid breaking them up and avoid dealing with cat fights at home) as this will reduce their boredom waiting for you. Also have as many toilets as cats +1 if possible (you can get away with less but reduce the risk basically) and make sure the toilets are big for the cats (they want space or you may end up as a friend who had her cat sitting in the box pooping out of it due to the box being small!). For the carry case get a big one (once again this way you can transport both in one case to keep them less stressed) in hard plastic and get quality food to switch them over to (Acana etc.) as this will save you money (they eat less, get less teeth issues and less visits to vets) over time.

Nody wrote: »
    Make sure you get them a tower or two that looks out in the garden as well (cats love that and it's a scratching post as a bonus) and some cat grass if you can find it (I prefer buying grown but you can get seeds and grow yourself but my cats always pulled out the seeds when I tried).

Oh and covering the furniture will not work to well from my experience; they tend to get behind what ever you cover it with :P. You can use double sided tape if you find them scratching / going on something you don't want (once again limit the use to not get them used to it); it works with most cats.

Few more things; if you're expecting to be gone for the day working consider getting two cats (ask for siblings or cats that have bonded in the shelter to avoid breaking them up and avoid dealing with cat fights at home) as this will reduce their boredom waiting for you. Also have as many toilets as cats +1 if possible (you can get away with less but reduce the risk basically) and make sure the toilets are big for the cats (they want space or you may end up as a friend who had her cat sitting in the box pooping out of it due to the box being small!). For the carry case get a big one (once again this way you can transport both in one case to keep them less stressed) in hard plastic and get quality food to switch them over to (Acana etc.) as this will save you money (they eat less, get less teeth issues and less visits to vets) over time.

Thank you so much for all this, seems like a great list of things to think of. Fingers crossed it'll all work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Make sure you get a decent scratch post however this will not ensure that other items will be destroyed, generally soft furniture however the older they are. I got my two present puddy tats at the age of 8 weeks, brother and sister, the boy did not scratch a thing, he was so gentle when he was a kitten, the girl on the other hand caused havoc, she had a mad half hour every 15 minutes, so funny tho. She would run up the furniture, curtains, basically anything. Now, 7 yrs later it is the boy that is a nightmare, he scratches up carpet, scratches at doors, etc. You just have to watch what they are like and try to combat it as best you can. Just got to accept that certain items will get ruined, rugs seem to be my two favourites. You don't know what they will be like until you have them, they are all different.

Enjoy your new addition when you get him/her, they are sooooo sweet, absolutely love mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I had a cat for eleven years (had him since he was 10 weeks) and he never scratched anything in his life.

The cat that I have now scratches everything in sight and he has destroyed our leather suite. He has numerous scratching posts throughout the house too. Also he is outdoors during the day.

I think it all depends on the cat.

Thanks everyone, I was thinking it would be a cat by cat thing but I suppose I wanted it to be across the board whether they do or don't :) Fingers crossed I'll be able to get one soon anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

My 2 don't really scratch much. I spent loadsa money on a scratching posts but they'd rather scratch at old pieces of wood in the shed :o:o:o I play with them a good bit every day with different toys, they love when I throw toy mice for them! They usually sleep after that! Maybe they are too tired to scratch. :D

Advertisement