Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeast.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The lager kit has yeast supplied with it.

FYI, "Brewer's Yeast" from health food shops isn't viable for brewing.

BeerNut wrote: »
    The lager kit has yeast supplied with it.

FYI, "Brewer's Yeast" from health food shops isn't viable for brewing.

Duh what a fcuking idiot i am.

Just checked the box and it says yeast included.

Noticed that this one says suitable for brewing beer.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=43&prodid=309&cid=269

Would ordinary sugar be ok to add to the mixture?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Noticed that this one says suitable for brewing beer.
    It doesn't. It says "It can be used to make beer" and I think it means Saccharomyces cerevisiae generally. I understand that the Saccharomyces cerevisiae sold in health food shops is dead. Anyway, I wouldn't risk it.
    Would ordinary sugar be ok to add to the mixture?
    It won't taste as good as using spraymalt, or even liquid malt extract or "beer kit enhancer", instead. Using sugar will make the beer thin and give it an unpleasant cidery off-flavour.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It doesn't. It says "It can be used to make beer" and I think it means Saccharomyces cerevisiae generally. I understand that the Saccharomyces cerevisiae sold in health food shops is dead. Anyway, I wouldn't risk it.

It won't taste as good as using spraymalt, or even liquid malt extract or "beer kit enhancer", instead. Using sugar will make the beer thin and give it an unpleasant cidery off-flavour.

Crap. I'll never get an order done in time.

Thanks for you help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Some Tesco's do home brew supplies. Have a search in here and you should turn it up handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you can't get the malts then glucose would be better than regular sugar. It can be in the baking section or baby food section in supermarkets, usually shamrock brand in 500g bags.

Some health food shops and supermarkets might have malt extract in jars, but I don't think its suitable for brewing, it would work but like the health store yeast it is not really intended for beer making. -the glucose would probably be better. Though some health stores do stock proper brewing stuff.

Khannie wrote: »
    Some Tesco's do home brew supplies. Have a search in here and you should turn it up handy enough.

Tried Tesco but no luck.
    rubadub wrote: »
    If you can't get the malts then glucose would be better than regular sugar. It can be in the baking section or baby food section in supermarkets, usually shamrock brand in 500g bags.

Some health food shops and supermarkets might have malt extract in jars, but I don't think its suitable for brewing, it would work but like the health store yeast it is not really intended for beer making. -the glucose would probably be better. Though some health stores do stock proper brewing stuff.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Will_D

Most health food shops sell malt extract in small jars ( need about 3 * 370 gm jars ) - expensive way to buy malt but its better than sugar

Or just buy another cheap lager kit and use that to get a more robust brew!!

You can simply add 2 kits together: Pilsner+Lager , Ale + Ale or even Stout + Ale to make a brown porterish beer

Will

Will_D wrote: »
    expensive way to buy malt but its better than sugar
    It might not be suited to brewing though.

You can see lads saying holland & barrett ME turned out OK

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=21833
    Will_D wrote: »
    Or just buy another cheap lager kit and use that to get a more robust brew!!
    Doing this will effectively double the hops too. As most kits have it included in them.

• Advertisement

Managed to get an order in for Coopers dextrose last night and it was shipped this morning.

Going to get myself a cider kit in the new year.

Managed to get an order in for Coopers dextrose last night and it was shipped this morning.

Oh dear. :( You could definitely have gotten this in tescos in the baking section as "glucose". I hope you didn't get too wallet shafted.
    Going to get myself a cider kit in the new year.

If you live near a lidl or aldi, I highly recommend trying to make a "turbo cider" from their cloudy apple juice (i.e. the "not from concentrate" stuff). I think it is nicer than any other cider I have ever tasted. Works out around the same cost per litre as the kits. Absolutely savage stuff though. There are recipes in here for it (there is tea and raisins involved too).

Oh dear. :( You could definitely have gotten this in tescos in the baking section as "glucose". I hope you didn't get too wallet shafted.

If you live near a lidl or aldi, I highly recommend trying to make a "turbo cider" from their cloudy apple juice (i.e. the "not from concentrate" stuff). I think it is nicer than any other cider I have ever tasted. Works out around the same cost per litre as the kits. Absolutely savage stuff though. There are recipes in here for it (there is tea and raisins involved too).

About €7.50 incl delivery.

Turbo Cider eh?

I can almost feel the hangover already.

Turbo Cider eh?

I can almost feel the hangover already.

Nary a chemical in sight. It's actually great for the hangovers. When they do come though they are ferocious, unrelenting whores.

Oh dear. :( You could definitely have gotten this in tescos in the baking section as "glucose".
    +1, I was saying to get glucose as the next step up from the regular sugar, i.e. if ordering extra was too expensive. If ordering I would have got spray malt.
    Nary a chemical in sight.
    People wrongly put all the blame on chemicals for hangovers. I hear it all the time, blaming preservatives etc, If this was the case you should wake up with a wicked hangover after lots of processed foods. Unfermented apple juice actually contains natural methanol, which definitely causes hangovers. I think it is mainly the pectin in it when fermented leads to even more methanol being produced, probably some other factors but definitely more methanol is produced. High fermentation temps will typically lead to other nasty compounds being produced too

A pure sugar brew contains only bare trace amounts of methanol, this is why a quality rum is good for not getting hangovers.

What would the difference be between the spray malt and the dextrose?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Dextrose is just glucose, spray malt is malted barely that gone though a mash and sprayed dried.

you will make much better beer with spray malt

rubadub wrote: »
    Unfermented apple juice actually contains natural methanol, which definitely causes hangovers. I think it is mainly the pectin in it when fermented leads to even more methanol being produced, probably some other factors but definitely more methanol is produced. High fermentation temps will typically lead to other nasty compounds being produced too

So riddle me this then....a bit of pectolase and a low fermentation temperature = less hangovers? Is there anything that you can add to chemically eliminate the methanol? I know that it's a filthy poison and always wondered why I got worse hangovers with spirits (which really should have little to no methanol in them from distillation).

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Better beer.

Malt is only 75% fermentable by yeast (typically). This means that a residual amount of sugar is left behind in the brew to impart a minimal amount of sweetness, but also body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Crap. I'll never get an order done in time.

Thanks for you help.

Maybe Try some of the ' next door' off licences or larger tescos if your round dublin! I'm sure you could scrape a kit together from them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

oblivious wrote: »
    Dextrose is just glucose,
    They're not the same but can be thought of mirror images of each other, but the yeast doesn't distinguish! ;)

Advertisement