Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with connecting two routers together...

• 19-12-2012 5:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

so I have upc 100meg with the cisco epc3925, housemate connects to that with wifi and I use an ethernet cable. that's all good

I have a wdtv live media player in the living room that I want to connect to my spare linksys WRT54GL to gain access to the internet.

I dont have a wireless dongle for my pc either which makes the whole affair a pretty awkard mess of unplugging ethernet cables every couple of minutes while I'm looking around the linksys and then trying to google for help. I've given up trying to do it on my own at this stage, I haven't a clue what I'm up to :)

I want the wdtv live to connect to the WRT54GL with an ethernet cable as if it were the EPC3925, i know this should be possible but I've been fiddling about for the past 20 minutes without success. I want to get it working on my pc first before I unplug everything and move the WRT54GL into the living room and I just haven't had the slightest bit of success.

anyone know what I oughta be doing on the linksys?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Set client bridge mode on the WRT 54GL. Pretty much the same setup I use at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i installed ddrwt on the wrt54gl a couple of hours ago and I was trying in vain to get repeater bridge working, figured out just as I was giving up for the night that it was client bridge I should have been doing

I'll give it another shot in the morning, still not sure why repeater bridge didn't work.. followed the wiki to the letter *shrug*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You may want to turn on RIP on both, and deactivate the DHCP on the WRT54GL to try and keep things simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i forget what I had rip set to, think the wiki said off but i'll experiment more tomorrow. I didnt actually have an option for dhcp on the ddwrt router, all the wikis and pages I read mentioned it but it just wasn't there for me. not sure why, will look into it tomorrow.

i forget what I had rip set to, think the wiki said off but i'll experiment more tomorrow. I didnt actually have an option for dhcp on the ddwrt router, all the wikis and pages I read mentioned it but it just wasn't there for me. not sure why, will look into it tomorrow.

There'll be internal DHCP and DHCP as a client from the other Wifi. Personally I disabled both to make everything static.

• Advertisement
Advertisement