Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone changed their Eircom router firmware?

Options
  • 19-12-2012 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I came across this lifehacker article about flashing a different firmware to your router to increase its capabilities. I wouldn't mind increasing the wifi signal throughout the house so I'm considering it. Just wondering if anyone has already done this and what their opinion was. Incidentally, my current router is the eircom provided ZyXEL P-660HN-T1A.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You can use DD WRT alright. Only installed it the other night after unbricking a linksys router (pity it wasn't fast enough for my 60meg connection). It's easy to flash but you'll need a compatible router and of course read the instructions for your model on the DD WRT wiki.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Thanks Nick. I can't find my router in their router database so I might have to forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

robocode wrote: »
    I came across this lifehacker article about flashing a different firmware to your router to increase its capabilities. I wouldn't mind increasing the wifi signal throughout the house so I'm considering it. Just wondering if anyone has already done this and what their opinion was. Incidentally, my current router is the eircom provided ZyXEL P-660HN-T1A.

dont bother with that zyxel router you have, it is crap trust me.... i went through 3 of them before switching to an older netopia router to get a stable connection. the problem with the Zyxel router's eircom provide is that they do not have output current on the line. this results in a high signal loss ratio. Been told that by a friend who used to work for eircom.

if you want a better router buy either a Netgear adsl modem/router or a Dlink adsl modem/router and configure it to work with eircom's settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Cheers Freddy, I was considering getting a new one altogether so that's interesting to hear!

Advertisement