Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An post cashing in on redlivery service

Options
  • 19-12-2012 8:12pm

I buy alot of pc parts for work and personal use and alot of these are very small parcels that don't require a signature.
    It is happening more and more often that the postperson leaves a "sorry we missed you" slip when the item would easily fit in the post box.
    I then have to pay the redelivery charge to have it sent to my workplace.

This never used to happen and I can only surmise its a tactic used to get more cash out of the public. I have rang them to complaim yet it continues to happen. Getting very angry about it now.
    This is happening in kilmainham (kilmainham square apartments).
    Anyone else have this happen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They just dont deliver parcels to apartments full stop!

foggy_lad wrote: »

Yes they do. It is a secure numbered postbox and they have in the past put small parcels in it without issue. They manage to get the slips in to the post box but why not the "selective" small parcels which don't require signatures and contain low value items?
    Anyone working with an post care to explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

I bought a large item from amazon in early November and it never came. Someone is at my house every day but would be in & out a bit so its possible we missed the delivery. Next thing i know Amazon sent me a mail saying they had my return processed and money refunded. I never got a delivery failure notice from an post to tell me I could collect it from the sorting office. I had to buy the item again. I wasn't sure if it was an accident or not but I had my doubts. I got in touch with amazon but they said an post never gave a reason for the return. I thought it pointless to follow up with an post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yes they do. Any time I'm expecting a delivery and stay home, they get delivered. Or, at times, if I am not home, they are left with my next door neighbour. Failing that, they leave the "could not deliver" note, and I go collect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Yes they do. It is a secure numbered postbox and they have in the past put small parcels in it without issue. They manage to get the slips in to the post box but why not the "selective" small parcels which don't require signatures and contain low value items?
    Anyone working with an post care to explain?
    Their postbag has a lot more in it now for the Christmas period so they leave more of the smaller parcels behind, or they mistake them for stuff requiring a signiture and they write out the slip before leaving the depot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Is seems to depend who your post man is. I always get my parcels, I'm always at home between 9 and 1 when he comes and I can see him approching the door from the sitting room window.

Half a mile away, different post man, a friend of mine has a business where his customers post him small items that he repairs and returns. The items are the size of a kids pencil case and will fit through any door.

He used to always get the 'sorry we missed you' sheets and have to go to the depot.

Now he uses my address, no issues.

You may as well be complaining to Bus Eireann as An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

My experience is that they will deliver packages (small, light items) but not parcels (bigger, heavier items), but in all cases they should deliver the 'sorry we missed you' notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,628 ✭✭✭Tow

It is happening more and more often that the postperson leaves a "sorry we missed you" slip when the item would easily fit in the post box.

Chances are the postman does not even bring the parcel, just posts the "sorry we missed you" note. We have caught them red handed doing this and I have been on the the GPO complaining etc, but my wife found the best way to get around the problem was to have a word with the postman and give them a nice bottle of wine each Christmas.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Why dont you have them sent to your workplace in the first place?

Why dont you go to the sorting office to collect rather than pay re-delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Many times I have been at home and the post man has left a slip in the letterbox saying I have to collect it from the depot. I refuse point blank to use them anymore because of this. If I am paying for something to be delivered I expect them to at least try and deliver it, if I am not there then fair enough but this practice of just leaving a slip is not on.

• Advertisement

Why dont you have them sent to your workplace in the first place?

Why dont you go to the sorting office to collect rather than pay re-delivery?

Did you read my first post? Some of it is for personal use and I work from home sometimes so I want it delivered where I will be.

I work during the depot opening times so its not an option. You think they might open on a saturday for a few hours?....not a chance...

Getting of topic with that though. My initial point is why not deliver items that are deliverable instead of making customers redirect or go and pick them up themselves??????

Did you read my first post?

Yes I did, you never said a word about working from home sometimes etc.. Based on what you posted I said if you are paying redelivery to have it delivered to your workplace then why not just have it delivered there in the first place? Maybe you should re read it before being snappy with people who are only trying to help you?

My local sorting office opens all sorts of crazy hours, they are usually open from 7am until 6pm - thats not their official line though, I only found it out by asking in there. I realise that yours may not be so friendly.

Why dont you use parcel motel then you can pick up your post at a convenient time for you?

Or investigate a PO box? Although I do not know where they usually are so I dont know if it would be easier for you to use that.

Finally, have you talked to your postman/sorting office and asked why small items are not being delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Just to corroborate what others are saying on this thread, I can confirm that, here in my area of Cork city at least, the postman doesn't even bring the package with him (has happened lots of times) and just puts a "we missed you" in the door with the letters, forcing you to go to the sorting office to collect it. Surely, this is illegal/<SNIP>. You have utilised and been charged for a service (delivery of an item to a given address) but An Post have not provided the service. It's a crazy situation. You then have to get to the sorting office before they return it to the sender!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

My local postman always rings the bell before leaving the a delivery notice.
    I can't say the same about an post couriers unfortunately, it seems that some of them just leave the Sorry we missed you notice.
    We complained a few times but the issue still exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,590 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Postman called yesterday, rang the bell but it wasn't heard, so he left a delivery slip. Later in the day he called back with the parcels. Over and above etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

What re-delivery charge? I have never had to pay a re-delivery charge to An Post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I buy alot of pc parts for work and personal use and alot of these are very small parcels that don't require a signature.

This never used to happen and I can only surmise its a tactic used to get more cash out of the public. I have rang them to complaim yet it continues to happen. Getting very angry about it now.

Why not deliver them to your workplace in the first place?

Why not deliver them to your workplace in the first place?

What has that got to do with anything? You pay for a service which is to get a package delivered to an address; the actual address should be irrelevant. If they decide that they are not going to bring the parcels with them then they should at least let you know so that people can choose a service provider who does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Just had another one today! Have been waiting for a package from England, using ParcelForce; delivered in Ireland through An Post. Have been tracking package from England and waiting for phone call to arrange delivery. No phone call or "sorry, missed you" note in door but see on tracking that "customer requested later delivery". I contacted An Post who said they had tried to deliver yesterday but no-one home and left note. Wife was home all day - no ding-dong and no note, complete BS. Only for the fact that I was tracking the package online (through parcelforce) I would not know that the package was sitting in the sorting office awaiting collection, or return to sender!! Needless to say, I have to go and collect it now - no apology or offer to attempt to deliver it again today/tomorrow. What a way to run a business!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Firstly, I work in An Post and find some of these posts frightening.

What a silly statement to make. They do deliver parcels and packets to Apartments everyday, I do and so do my colleagues. Today I had over 200 items some quite large and heavy. At the end of my delivery I had 7 items left over and as sure as night follows day someone will say "I was there all day" Dont know how I missed him"? I didnt hear the bell
    Their postbag has a lot more in it now for the Christmas period so they leave more of the smaller parcels behind, or they mistake them for stuff requiring a signiture and they write out the slip before leaving the depot.
    While the post bags might have more in them but they dont leave items behind as you state here, there are drop box's on duties where packets are left and the postman works out of the drop box.. It is a serious offense to delay the delivery of any item. I know if it happened in the office where I work I would be in with office manager before 6am in the morning.
    How do you know this? That they write slips before they leave their office. If you can back this up you should put your complaint in writing and send it to An Post.
    My experience is that they will deliver packages (small, light items) but not parcels (bigger, heavier items), but in all cases they should deliver the 'sorry we missed you' notice.
    WRONG. An Post deliver everything. Today I delivered a number of box's which I would say were over 50lbs in weight. Its my job.
    Tow wrote: »
    Chances are the postman does not even bring the parcel, just posts the "sorry we missed you" note. We have caught them red handed doing this and I have been on the the GPO complaining etc, but my wife found the best way to get around the problem was to have a word with the postman and give them a nice bottle of wine each Christmas.

You have caught YOUR postman doing this that does not mean Postmen do this as a rule.
    looksee wrote: »
    Postman called yesterday, rang the bell but it wasn't heard, so he left a delivery slip. Later in the day he called back with the parcels. Over and above etc.
    That would be my experience of what happens most of the time. I and quite a few of my colleagues would do this every day especially if it can save an elderly person a trip to their local D.S.U.

My experience of where I work is as follows. An Post do a good job on deliveries every day. But yes mistakes are made but again I think the delivery person will attempt to rectify this. The level of compliance is very high on all aspects of mail deliveries and rightfully so. Mind you its not the postmans job to call back. I put my number on the leaflet and if they call me they can come and meet me further on my delivery.

I do hear quite a few complaints like these and as I am a driver I would often be asked to call back to a house. When I do get there I ring the bell and often as I am about to leave the door it will open "oh were you ringing?" I didnt hear the bell". Not suggesting this is always the case but its very regular and some of these people actually just dont hear the bell, maybe out at clothes line or putting something in the bin but they will usually say the postman didnt ring the bell..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

AS I said before my postman is brilliant, the guy who looks after the estate down the road is not so.

My friend has complained, using times and dates. It was the guy in the sorting office that reccommended he use an address serviced by MY postman.

Seems to be like everywhere the good are great and the bad are dreadful.

WRONG. An Post deliver everything.

I call BS on that. I have caught my Postman NOT delivering and leaving a slip and when I tackled him he told me he couldn't possibly carry all his parcels. Maybe it's just a few but they WORK FOR AN POST so therefore An Post DO NOT deliver everything. You may deliver everything but An Post don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

There has been a couple of times when I receive a letter saying they could not deliver a package and they had put a slip in my door 2 weeks previously which I did not get. Let them know this on both occasionn. Also on 1 occasion I did get the little slip but it was not for me it was the same number house in an estate 2 miles away it did not have a remote name similar to my estate

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I know all postmen/women are different, but I have to say my postman is very obliging. I often leave a note on the door if I'm expecting a parcel, with instructions to leave in a specific safe place. He always leaves it where I ask unless it's something that requires a signature.

I got a lot of parcels over the last month and most times I forgot to leave a note for him, but he left them in my safe place anyway and stuck a note of his own through the letterbox to say they were there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Songok wrote: »

I get stuff delivered to my office which opens at 9, as do most workplaces.

An Post deliver attempt to deliver at 8.30 or so......I then have to pay a redelivery charge. I'm a bit suspicious October of their motives to attempt delivery to offices before 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

We have the other extreme, the postman abandons valuable packages on the doorstep (sometimes even sign-for items!)

I really wish he would take them back to the depot.

So far, nothing's gone missing but I live in an urban area and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they did.
    Also, I've had stuff soaking wet as they've been left out in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

I believe there's the odd thread or two that pops up regularly on boards.ie regarding the AnPost missed delivery docket but the general consensus is that it highly depends on your area.

My own personal experience is that anything which fits through a letterbox will be delivered by the postman but anything bigger will not even be attempted and that you'll only get the docket through the letterbox (if its standard / budget service, if premium / courier it tends to arrive promptly in a van).

I guess its not unexpected in a way since the normal postman only has a bike but if you pay for delivery you'd expect AnPost to make provisions for bulkier items. So yes I think people do have a case for complaining to AnPost since they're not always providing the full service they're been paid for... i.e. you paid for delivery to your address not to an AnPost regional depot where you have to collect the item(s).

• Advertisement

Champ wrote: »
    My own personal experience is that anything which fits through a letterbox will be delivered by the postman but anything bigger will not even be attempted and that you'll only get the docket through the letterbox (if its standard / budget service, if premium / courier it tends to arrive promptly in a van).

We have an anpost postman who delivers normal sized stuff that will fit through the letterbox and then a different anpost guy who shows up in a van with larger items.

Advertisement