Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An post cashing in on redlivery service

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

RoboRat wrote: »
    I call BS on that. I have caught my Postman NOT delivering and leaving a slip and when I tackled him he told me he couldn't possibly carry all his parcels. Maybe it's just a few but they WORK FOR AN POST so therefore An Post DO NOT deliver everything. You may deliver everything but An Post don't.
    This is not a good service if this is what is happening. Customer service 1850 57 58 59
    I get stuff delivered to my office which opens at 9, as do most workplaces.

An Post deliver attempt to deliver at 8.30 or so......I then have to pay a redelivery charge. I'm a bit suspicious October of their motives to attempt delivery to offices before 9.
    . I usually start my delivery between 7.45 and 8.15. I cant go up and down roads like yoyo waiting on places to open. Your office should have something in place if you or other workers get parcels or sent there.
    Solair wrote: »
    We have the other extreme, the postman abandons valuable packages on the doorstep (sometimes even sign-for items!)
    I really wish he would take them back to the depot.

So far, nothing's gone missing but I live in an urban area and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they did.
    Also, I've had stuff soaking wet as they've been left out in the rain.
    Did you complain? This like the first quote above.... 1850 57 58 59
    Champ wrote: »
    My own personal experience is that anything which fits through a letterbox will be delivered by the postman but anything bigger will not even be attempted and that you'll only get the docket through the letterbox (if its standard / budget service, if premium / courier it tends to arrive promptly in a van).
    This not my experience. I have just 33 years service and can say I have never seen this happen. The above basically means your local office does not deliver parcels. There is no way this could happen
    Champ wrote: »
    I guess its not unexpected in a way since the normal postman only has a bike but if you pay for delivery you'd expect An Post to make provisions for bulkier items. So yes I think people do have a case for complaining to An Post since they're not always providing the full service they're been paid for... i.e. you paid for delivery to your address not to an An Post regional depot where you have to collect the item(s).

The normal rule is if it fits in a mail bag it is delivered by postman anything bigger goes in the van. There is no excuse for not taking out a large item in Van

I deliver parcels every day and along with my colleagues who I know reasonably well I would be fairly confident everyone of them does a good job. If I were getting a service like what i9s being described here I would be first on to customer service and if still not happy would be demanding to speak to someone in G.P.O. I know when a complaint is made about any member of staff where I work the D.S.M takes it very seriously and the staff member will be given a "lecture".

Told a few lads in work about this thread and they could not believe what they read. Maybe I am old stock (I feel young) but with 33 years service in February I find it embarrassing that any member of staff would not bother to bring an item out on delivery. Maybe its because I deliver in rural area but I see myself as more than just a postman, Im a point of contact for elderly people, I can keep an eye out,
    Finally If your problems persist 1850 575859
    Anyway Im up at 4.30 tomorrow and hopefully will bring plenty of parcels to people on my route. Hope you all have a good Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,628 ✭✭✭Tow

LeoB wrote: »
    Finally If your problems persist 1850 575859

Well I have been on to the inspector in the GPO in the past and they did nothing.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Where I am, the regular postman on his bike only brings small items with him, including signed-for items, and anything larger is delivered by a separate An Post guy in a small van who always rings on the door. I've absolutely no complaints about their service whatsoever I have to say, in contrast to some of the courier companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Where myself and my OH live now, the postman is great. He always rings the doorbell and then waits for my dog to stop barking. If no-one answers before Shadow stops, he knows there is no-one home.

When I lived in the town centre of Dundalk, the postman never, and I mean NEVER delivered a parcel. Actually opened the front door on 4 occasions while he was trying to shove the "We Missed You" leaflet through my letterbox. Confronted him and he said he doesn't deliver any parcels, because it would put him off-balance on his bike and sure since I'm home could I not just go to the depot when it opens at 3PM to collect it myself. I just smiled and closed the door. Had to take the dog I was fostering at the time with me because he couldn't be left alone. Depot refused me entry because I had a dog (fair enough) but I argued had my postman delivered the parcel instead of pretending there was no-one home, I wouldn't have to take a dog. The man told me that my parcel was too big for my letterbox, and I laughed. Pointed out that if Fastway could get a packaged knitted jumper through my letterbox, I was pretty sure An Post could manage a DVD. He was very red-faced and just said that it was, and I quote "... common practice to deliver these leaflets once the postman has exceeded the maximum weight safely carryable in his bag while cycling".

If the bag is too heavy, the post man should either make more trips, or leave a "Sorry we couldn't carry your parcel, we will deliver within the next x-amount of working days, or you can collect at your sorting office" leaflet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

heres how you avoid it
    dont pay for an post delievery
    get a curior instead
    their faster
    only a little dearer and will knock on your door until you answer
    if its small enough to fit into the door they will throw it in
    if its not they will leave it with a neighbour informing you leaving you a slip in your door
    they will ring you to arrange a delivery time and if your not home when you knock

much better service
    nothing is ever late
    nothing goes missing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It may well be the individual in your area.

Last time this subject came up I made a few allegation/complaints which were vehemently denied.

This Christmas just past with all the new temps I actually had four parcels delivered on Christmas Eve and three delivered on New Year's Eve. I've been home all [today at time of posting] morning and I discover the missed you love letter ~ hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

saiint wrote: »
    heres how you avoid it
    get a curior instead
    their faster
    if its not they will leave it with a neighbour informing you leaving you a slip in your door
    they will ring you to arrange a delivery time and if your not home when you knock

much better service
    nothing is ever late
    nothing goes missing
    Yes, because nothing ever goes wrong with private couriers;:rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82170117
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2278505
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51898606
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69031152
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67352126
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056834808
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81706690
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81456087

saiint wrote: »
    heres how you avoid it
    get a curior instead
    their faster

much better service
    nothing is ever late
    nothing goes missing

You must be a courier;)

I see couriers leaving parcels in unlocked porch's, green bins and behind flower pots. I have seen electronic goods getting soaked wet and best of all a dog chewing at clothes. Thats a great service.

Some of the real lazy couriers used actually post items and charge the customer €40 pay An Post €15 and pocket the rest. I was the recipient of one of these such parcels about 18months ago so for you to say its a better service is wrong.

As for the person who lived in Dundalk I would not have gone to the depot to pick up the item. If the item was to big the guy on the bike should not have had it. The van should have delivered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

You must be a courier;)

I see couriers leaving parcels in unlocked porch's, green bins and behind flower pots. I have seen electronic goods getting soaked wet and best of all a dog chewing at clothes. Thats a great service.

Some of the real lazy couriers used actually post items and charge the customer €40 pay An Post €15 and pocket the rest. I was the recipient of one of these such parcels about 18months ago so for you to say its a better service is wrong.

As for the person who lived in Dundalk I would not have gone to the depot to pick up the item. If the item was to big the guy on the bike should not have had it. The van should have delivered it.

I would not have gone had it not been someone's birthday present :rolleyes: Had no choice but to collect it! And he was talking out his arse, it was a DVD, he just hadn't bothered taking it and the depot tried to cover by suggesting the postman couldn't possibly cycle safely with it in his bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

This use to happen to myself quite often, would get a sorry we missed you, along with my letters. I got sick of going to the depot so rang the local office and spoke to the manager who assured me that he would talk to the postie and see what the issue was. One month nothing had changed so rang again, the manager seemed surprised yhat it was still happening. Ever since then I have had no problems but dont think I will make the postmans Christmas list any time soon;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Firstly, I work in An Post and find some of these posts frightening.

What a silly statement to make. They do deliver parcels and packets to Apartments everyday, I do and so do my colleagues. Today I had over 200 items some quite large and heavy. At the end of my delivery I had 7 items left over and as sure as night follows day someone will say "I was there all day" Dont know how I missed him"? I didnt hear the bell

While the post bags might have more in them but they dont leave items behind as you state here, there are drop box's on duties where packets are left and the postman works out of the drop box.. It is a serious offense to delay the delivery of any item. I know if it happened in the office where I work I would be in with office manager before 6am in the morning.
    How do you know this? That they write slips before they leave their office. If you can back this up you should put your complaint in writing and send it to An Post.

WRONG. An Post deliver everything. Today I delivered a number of box's which I would say were over 50lbs in weight. Its my job.

You have caught YOUR postman doing this that does not mean Postmen do this as a rule.

That would be my experience of what happens most of the time. I and quite a few of my colleagues would do this every day especially if it can save an elderly person a trip to their local D.S.U.

My experience of where I work is as follows. An Post do a good job on deliveries every day. But yes mistakes are made but again I think the delivery person will attempt to rectify this. The level of compliance is very high on all aspects of mail deliveries and rightfully so. Mind you its not the postmans job to call back. I put my number on the leaflet and if they call me they can come and meet me further on my delivery.

I do hear quite a few complaints like these and as I am a driver I would often be asked to call back to a house. When I do get there I ring the bell and often as I am about to leave the door it will open "oh were you ringing?" I didnt hear the bell". Not suggesting this is always the case but its very regular and some of these people actually just dont hear the bell, maybe out at clothes line or putting something in the bin but they will usually say the postman didnt ring the bell..
    I had an experience last week when I was waiting in for a parcel. The dog started barkin so I expected a door bell. Instead I saw postman push attempted delivery through door. I opened door and asked what is the story (I already complained about a previous incident). He told me the van tried to deliver earlier but got no answer and had no attempted delivery notes with him. I didn't even argue as it is a regular thing where I live. I don't rate an post delivery at all. I find it strange that my parcels have always been in post office when I call even though I often go straight down after seeing note in hall. Usually within five or ten mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

AnPost might be good for letters but when it comes to parcels they are in a sorry state of affairs.

They have such a big backlog that in their central mail centre that parcels from outside Ireland need now weeks instead of days to be processed (I'm still waiting on parcels from Europe which were handed over to AnPost before x-mas).

Than when it's finally handed over to the outsourced provider/contractor they use in my area he always attempts to put a "missed you" note in my mailbox. Which is fun because my office window overlooks my drive way so I can see him approaching with the note in the hand, no door bell, just the note. If I would not spot him and go down he would go away with it.

I complained countless times and while it gets better for a week or two soon we are back to the old state of affairs.

Now the general postman I have (for small items and letters) is brilliant, but the guys they use for parcels is just the worst ever.

And to add insult to injury the local sorting office where one needs to collect parcels is not the normal post office and it's positioned very badly with not enough parking spaces and only 1 guy dealing with the public.

I am trying to get companies I do business with to use private couriers, while they also have problems, I have way less with them than with anpost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The issue we have is the postie keeps putting packages on the door step. We've had items go missing (assume stolen from door step)

I'm absolutely sick of it. I've complained and get nowhere.

He will not accept that we do not want packages abandoned outside. I'd rather collect them from the delivery office!

I'm looking into getting a parcel box installed. They're available in the UK but I cannot seem to find a supplier here.

The issue we have is the postie keeps putting packages on the door step. We've had items go missing (assume stolen from door step)

He will not accept that we do not want packages abandoned outside. I'd rather collect them from the delivery office!

I'm looking into getting a parcel box installed. They're available in the UK but I cannot seem to find a supplier here.

Leaving parcels on your doorstep it totally unacceptable.

I deliver parcels everyday and am finding it hard to to get my head around the fact some staff do the things alleged here. I know if I done any of the above I would be hauled in to my boss's office before 6am the following morning. Again I can only speak for the office I work in and there would be WW3 if we got a complaint like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Using parcel motel might be handier?

Advertisement