Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THQ enters Chap 11 bankruptcy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

been coming since last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Interesting to see who buys what assets now. EA would be mad to pass up the WWE licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

NOOOOOOOOOO Homeworld 3 you bastards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Interesting to see who buys what assets now. EA would be mad to pass up the WWE licence.

Ya EA got the UFC license off them earlier this year. Delighted as well as EA made a much better mma, game than THQ. I'd say a few studios will want to pick up Saints Row as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Sad day :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ah man this is sad news :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Its far from over for them its chapter 11 bankruptcy and while serious it is a restructuring to try and save the company rather than have a fire sale and close it.

Most Likely studios that do not have a big game coming in the first 6 months of 2013 will be stripped. Any company that buys them up will still look to make some money from whats there especially on South Park, COH and Metro.

Homefront 2 is being developed by Crytek so im not sure what deal they have if its just the licence or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Just read about this on Kotaku.. there's a very concise explanation of whats happening from Jason Rubin, worth a read

http://kotaku.com/5969994/thqs-boss-explains-in-plain-english-what-the-hell-happened-to-his-company-today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

thats a shame, I liked a lot of their games - will we see a darksiders 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

Hmm.... does that mean Humble Bundle 6 was basically and ad for THQ saying "We made all this good stuff buys us?" that they got money for?

• Advertisement

all because of u-draw right ?

as long as south park is ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Can't say I was terribly impressed with Darksiders 2, but their Warhammer 40K output was brilliant. Hope anyone affected gets something better soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Kinda sad there has been no further mention of Dark Millenium Online, even after they said it wasnt going the full MMO route but more an online shooter angle. Which if was anything similar to a Battlefield model

"SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY...HERETIC"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Turns out the ones trying to buy THQ are Ubisoft, I am not happy about this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Where does that come from? An article I saw earlier referenced an "Equity group."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Where does that come from? An article I saw earlier referenced an "Equity group."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ubisoft-plots-thq-bid/0108645
    Ubisoft is one of the front-runners in the bid to buy THQ's assets, MCV understands.

We have been told that the French firm is keen to take over the publisher's brands and studios once THQ works through its current financial problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/thq-ip-to-be-sold-title-by-tile-ea-confirmed-as-interested-party/0108919

THQ's IPs are to be sold off at an auction on the 22nd. Creditors blocked its sale to Clearwater.

Article ignores all of THQ's other awesome IPs/Rights, like WH40k, Homeworld, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Overheal wrote: »
    Article ignores all of THQ's other awesome IPs/Rights, like WH40k, Homeworld, etc
    I'm personally hoping Company of Heroes finds a good new home :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

please god don't let EA get the WWE game franchise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

please god don't let EA get the WWE game franchise.

Or any of THQ's assets, particularly COH... Why won't EA just die? :(

I would much rather Ubisoft take over. Anybody but EA...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

And as part of said Chapter 11 proceedings...

THQ to auction off Darksiders, Red Faction, Homeworld and more by May

Fingers crossed those titles find a good home. :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Red Faction i don't really care about, but Darksiders and Homeworld (especially Homeworld) deserve a good home. I'd give large sums of money for a new, properly made Homeworld sequel/reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Do not let anyone **** up darksiders

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if we get another red faction in the spirit of red faction 1 it'd be a truly fantastic thing. the sequels have all been ****ing awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

gizmo wrote: »
    And as part of said Chapter 11 proceedings...

THQ to auction off Darksiders, Red Faction, Homeworld and more by May

Fingers crossed those titles find a good home. :o

I think a homeworld kickstarter would be a roaring success.

Are any big companies going down that route? It's a way to offset some of the risk in a risk-averse industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Praying Darksiders and Homeworld find good homes. Been a Homeworld fan for years and picked up Darksiders 1&2 over crhistams on steam and have really enjoyed them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Please God don't let them shut down the WWE 13 Online servers before I get Platinum :mad:

Gbear wrote: »
    I think a homeworld kickstarter would be a roaring success.

Are any big companies going down that route? It's a way to offset some of the risk in a risk-averse industry.
    Planetary annihilation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Overheal wrote: »
    Planetary annihilation?

"Uber Entertainment".

Hadn't heard of them. Not really what I had in mind.

It just seems that, although the related costs are trivial for the Activisions and EA's of this world, it doesn't mean they're going to risk the money.

In the end of the day there never was a HW3 so clearly people didn't think it was worth pursuing, but it seems to have a fairly active cult following across the intertubes.

Kickstarter seems like a good way to actually boost game sales (although that's an empirical question that you'd have to actually test) because it gets people involved with the production process.
    That sort of thing builds more momentum for a game, I think, than a developer quietly going about business.

Some games don't need that but just look at Star Citizen. I have no idea what it's about but it seemed to get a lot of traction off the back of having a good development team behind it.

Advertisement