Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THQ enters Chap 11 bankruptcy

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Even if all we get out of this is Homeworld, Cataclysm and Homeworld 2 on digital distribution (Steam or GoG please), then i'm happy enough. Ideally though, a full blown sequel. And i'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, and see what they plan with it.

They better not **** it up though. I could forgive a lot of things...but not that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

i'm surprised the winning bid was so low for a classic game. Everyone i know who plays/played games has played and loved the original homeworld.

I imagine it's because it's not really a game with an "easy upgrade path."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

crytek :( why you no buy darksiders??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

nesf wrote: »
    The Escapist made a very good point. Gearbox make shooters. Apart from a single Tony Hawk game they've made shooters. That's fine. Why on earth are they buying a RTS IP? Not only that but not a bread and butter RTS like Starcraft or Command & Conquer but an unusual 3d space RTS.

I mean if Relic turned around and bought the Borderlands IP we'd all be fairly damn sceptical about it no?
    I imagine they see it as a short term cash cow, the potential audience for the two main entries on Steam and GoG being rather large.

Longer term I share your scepticism. Even if one was to ignore the fact that they've only ever produced shooters, from a technical standpoint their experience as a studio is with Unreal Engine and that isn't exactly known for its large scale RTS capabilities.

On the other hand, perhaps they'll take advantage of said re-release, reap the financial benefits of that and then use the increased popularity of the IP to sell it on to a publisher for a profit? It seems as likely as them developing a full blown threequel in-house at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I find it more likely they bought the IP to flip it for profit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Considering the Gearbox name is currently mud in the gaming world, buying Homeworld makes a lot of sense & a simple way to earn a fast buck and easy kudos; they don't have to do a whole lot - just throw Homeworld 1 & 2 onto Steam, add some HD textures & audio perhaps & then watch the money roll in. Simples.

Time was the name 'Gearbox' had me excited, but lately they've had more misses than hits; in fact arguably if you take out Borderlands their recent CV looks pretty worrisome. So the idea of them making a third Homeworld game fills me with dread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So Nordic Games got Darksiders? http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/22/4254224/nordic-games-thq-purchase

Yeah lets just say im not brimming with confidence, looks like they bought most of the other stuff apart from homeworld which just makes it sound like an ip grab to license everything out to the cheapest bidder :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Nordic Games asks fans what they should do next with Darksiders, former dev replies
    "As one of the co-founders of Vigil and the lead level designer/principal designer on both games, all I can say is... make it adventurous," wrote Ryan Stefanelli. "And do what we would've done: let people know what happens when those other three comets land on Earth!"

Stefanelli also said the game needs to include four player cooperative play.

"Good luck to you guys," he concluded. "You've adopted our baby."

Now, try not to drop it.

EDIT:

Seems there's been a bit more of a follow-up from the Nordic Games head. It all seems rather...level headed. :confused:

New owner of Darksiders IP keen to speak with original creators about Darksiders 3

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

pixelburp wrote:
    Considering the Gearbox name is currently mud in the gaming world, buying Homeworld makes a lot of sense & a simple way to earn a fast buck and easy kudos; they don't have to do a whole lot - just throw Homeworld 1 & 2 onto Steam, add some HD textures & audio perhaps & then watch the money roll in. Simples.

Time was the name 'Gearbox' had me excited, but lately they've had more misses than hits; in fact arguably if you take out Borderlands their recent CV looks pretty worrisome. So the idea of them making a third Homeworld game fills me with dread.

Is it mud?. I'd imagine the massive success of Borderlands 2 counts for more than the dismal failure of Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Since when did Gearbox's name every excite anyone before Borderlands. Before Borderlands they where mainly known for the decent if unspectacular Brothers in Arms series, the PC port of Halo and the expansions to Half Life 1, only one of which was highly regarded. Not exactly a hype generator or home to much orginality or innovation.

More misses than hits?. Boderlands 1 and 2 where big hits, Duke Nukem and Aliens Big big failures although Duken Nukem did turn a profit for them. The only other games out where a well recieved Brothers in Arms IOS game and a moderately well recieved 3DS title called Alien Infestation. I don't see that as being more miss, its slightly more hit in fact. Infact if you take Aliens Colonial Marines and Duke Nukem out of there recent CV there recent CV looks pretty good.

I'm on the fence so far if Gearbox can make a good space RTS, its not there area of expertise but I'm excited by the thought of big developers considering developer RTS titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Gearbox confirm Homeworld 1 and 2 HD remake:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/07/20/gearbox-announces-hd-remakes-of-homeworld-1-and-2/
    You might remember Gearbox buying the Homeworld series back in April, uttering silent space-noises about “making them accessible on today’s leading digital platforms”. It turns that’s code for ‘HD remake’, with Gearbox announcing yesterday at the Penny Arcade Expo in Australia that both Homeworld and its sequel (and presumably Homeworld’s expansion, Cataclysm) will be given high-definition remakes. Not only that, but the original games will soon be making their way to digital shops too.

They're assuming that that includes Cataclysm but I don't think they own that and I seem to remember hearing that someone lost the source code for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

quite a few games from my wishlist were THQ, and no longer available for sale. bummer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Gbear wrote: »
    Gearbox confirm Homeworld 1 and 2 HD remake:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/07/20/gearbox-announces-hd-remakes-of-homeworld-1-and-2/

They're assuming that that includes Cataclysm but I don't think they own that and I seem to remember hearing that someone lost the source code for it.

It looks like they're going to try and sell it to you twice. First with a "Windows 7 ready" version of the old game and then again with the "HD version of the old game, with perhaps a tiny amount of balancing."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

nesf wrote: »
    It looks like they're going to try and sell it to you twice. First with a "Windows 7 ready" version of the old game and then again with the "HD version of the old game, with perhaps a tiny amount of balancing."

If that's the case I'll boycott it.

Or else, maybe, just buy the HD version..:pac:

Advertisement