Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP conflicts

Options
  • 19-12-2012 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hi i'm having trouble getting my network running right i think its ip conflicts. can anyone in the know suggest a set up for me i'm not much good when it comes to this stuff. i have a pc, tp link modem, tp link range extender, ps3, xbox 360, laptop and ipad. do i need to assign separate ip's for all these? any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

T.R. wrote: »
    hi i'm having trouble getting my network running right i think its ip conflicts. can anyone in the know suggest a set up for me i'm not much good when it comes to this stuff. i have a pc, tp link modem, tp link range extender, ps3, xbox 360, laptop and ipad. do i need to assign separate ip's for all these? any help greatly appreciated

ok here is how to avoid ip conficts

the router/modem should only be allowed to assign IP addresses... disable dhcp on your wireless extender as that is what is causing ip conflicts

your wireless extender should only be set as bridge mode only...

example:

router/modem is set to 192.168.1.1 dhcp enabled, ip address pool 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.50
    wireless extender is set to 192.168.1.2 with default gateway set to 192.168.1.1, dhcp disabled, bridge mode enabled

then any pc/ipad/xbox connecting to the wireless extender will be passed to the modem/router to get an ip address

• Registered Users Posts: 11 T.R.

cheers man. checked my modem settings there its ip is 192.168.1.1 and dhcp is on with pool count of 100 and starting ip of 192.168.1.100. on the pool summary it only has my pc as 192.168.1.101. the extender is looking for an ip but any i put in it says its invalid even the default one. any ideads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

My bet is on the iPad being the issue.

I had the same thing with the girlfriends router and an iPad.
    The iPad grabs the IP address, but retains it internally.
    It might be shut off for a day, and the router typically only leases out an IP address for 24 hours.

You start up the iPad again a day or so later, and it tries to use the same old IP address, which has been re-leased out to another device on the network.

As Freddy Smelly said... at a minimum I'd try configuring the router to give the iPad the same static IP Address, eg. 192.168.1.10
    But start the DHCP addresses at 192.168.1.11 or above.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

T.R. wrote: »
    cheers man. checked my modem settings there its ip is 192.168.1.1 and dhcp is on with pool count of 100 and starting ip of 192.168.1.100. on the pool summary it only has my pc as 192.168.1.101. the extender is looking for an ip but any i put in it says its invalid even the default one. any ideads?

what ip has the ipad got? on the router you can reserve ip addresses for specific devices... just reserve the ipad's to what ever it has then the dhcp server will assign a different one to the pc and xbox

Advertisement