Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Un Friendly work Colleague

• 19-12-2012 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Although this is not really effecting me or my work life, i just wonder about this.

Im about three months in my new job, and i noticed alot off the staff who had been there for years are 50+. so i was one of very few young people. (im 24)
    This was fine i just got to know people as best i could. Some are very nice and some that i suppose perhaps are not interested in getting to know new people.

So there is another girl my age working there a long time, on my attempt to get to know her and be freindly i just felt that she was not interested.
    eg i met her going to work one morning and called her to say hello, she chatted for abit but then said she was going i different way then me even tho we were going to the same place, or when i say hi to her in the morning she says nothing and blanks me which i dind is abit rude.

I asked another colluege of mine and she noticed the same think. Also i am employed by an agency and not the company as this girk is with the company,, an i noticed seems to not bother with any of us that work with the agency as afew other new girls have started since.

any one ever experience this or any opinions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

One girl is not very friendly. Its a non-issue. Have you made friends with any of the new people who have joined since? There is no conspiracy, its not personal, she isn't being snobby, she just isn't very sociable.

Just let it go, you don't have to be 'off' with her, just say hi and move on. She is not obliged to be friendly with everyone at work, and if you find a good friend at work, that's great, sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. Do your job and look for friends outside work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Yes. That's workplaces for you. Just like in real life you're not going to be friends with everyone you meet. Being a girl and around the same age isn't a guarantee that you'll be friendly. She has shown that she really has no interest in being friendly to you so leave her alone. Be professional and say Hi if needs be but don't pursue the issue any further. There could be any number of reasons why she doesn't like you but don't take it personally. She might not be a nice person, she might not want to befriend agency people or she just doesn't have any interest in making any new friends in work. Who knows?

Workplaces can bring out the best and the worst in people. I've seen grown adults behave like small children over silly issues or treat colleagues in a way that their friends would never suspect. Office politics are never dull, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

You appear to get on well with others so don't be a bit concerned about her. Some people are just loners or have an unfriendly nature.
    Also full time staff see so many agency people come and go that they dont bother to go past the hello stage with them if they even get that far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You're an agency worker (and so am I!). If the company staff are friendly, that's a plus not a given. In some companies they really won't like you because of it. All sorts of reasons for that. Get used to it.

Advertisement