Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit when renting

Options
  • 19-12-2012 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭

I know that, when renting in Dublin, you usually pay a deposit (usually one months rent), plus the first months rent in advance.

However, what if you decide on a place a few weeks in advance of moving into it?

E.g. I find a place now, I want to move in on the 20th January, this is the date most suitable for both myself and for the landlord/agency.

Is it expected that I pay the deposit and first months rent now? Or would the usual thing be to pay the deposit now, to secure the place, and then to pay the first months rent on the 20th of January, prior to actually moving in?

I'm aware that this might often be done on a case-by-case basis. Just wondering whether there a norm; what way is it usually done?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

I know that, when renting in Dublin, you usually pay a deposit (usually one months rent), plus the first months rent in advance.

However, what if you decide on a place a few weeks in advance of moving into it?

E.g. I find a place now, I want to move in on the 20th January, this is the date most suitable for both myself and for the landlord/agency.

Is it expected that I pay the deposit and first months rent now? Or would the usual thing be to pay the deposit now, to secure the place, and then to pay the first months rent on the 20th of January, prior to actually moving in?

I'm aware that this might often be done on a case-by-case basis. Just wondering whether there a norm; what way is it usually done?

It is normally at the time of signing the lease that the deposit and first months rent is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whadafook

You may be asked to pay a booking deposit around €100 or so and the remainder when you move in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

You normally pay a holding deposit (of a couple of hundred) to take the place off the market. The balance of the security deposit and first month's rent is due on or just before the move-in date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I agree, the LL will definitely want something off you to show you are serious about renting the place, And to stop them from showing it to others. The equivalent of a weeks rent should suffice. Get a receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Great, thanks for the replies. I thought that it might be a case that you'd usually pay full deposit + one months rent, even if you weren't moving in for a few weeks. Good to know that this doesn't seem to be the way it's usually done!

• Advertisement
Advertisement