Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aluminium Frames Patio Doors/Cold/Attracting Moisture

• 19-12-2012 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Hi all:

Basically I have old patio doors with aluminium frames, the frames which are freezing, conducting the cold from the outside and attracting moisture like billy-o on the inside.

Is there any paint or whatever, that can be used to warm them up or whatever?

They are in perfect nick otherwise, and seems a shame to change them for that reason only...

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Kettleson wrote: »
    Is there any paint or whatever, that can be used to warm them up or whatever?

No. Anybody who tells you differently is selling snakeoil.

Think of what you have - a piece of conducting metal that is exposed to the outside temperature, that metal is a cold bridge to the warm environment of the house, so condensation forms.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You could try running a dehumidifier in the room ,it won't stop it but might help also if you hang some heavy curtains to keep the heat of the room away from the doors it might also help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

See if you can eliminate some of the moisture in the house, which is causing the Condensation, has the Kitchen good extraction, is the door near the bathroom, steam etc, sounds like more ventilation will help as well as the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Thanks for good advice folks...appreciated.

It didnt help the situation that I have been filling the main sitting room with medium to large house plants, about 20 of them ! :D

The things u learn when u apply a bit of logic:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Kettleson wrote: »
    Thanks for good advice folks...appreciated.

It didnt help the situation that I have been filling the main sitting room with medium to large house plants, about 20 of them ! :D

The things u learn when u apply a bit of logic:o

Sounds like a ''Grow House'' :eek:

Be careful,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

martinn123 wrote: »
    Sounds like a ''Grow House'' :eek:

Be careful,

LOL!! Never thought of that! nah,...all bargin reduced buys from Home Base, close to expiring but i nursed 'em back to health.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 reach for the stars

If you put a fan in the room blowing air at the glass and generally ciculating air about it should help

Advertisement