Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paramedic courses

• 19-12-2012 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all Im wondering if anyone knows of any good places/collages to go study Paramedic. As im sure with many people im loosing my patience with the recruitment or lack of it in Ireland. I am a EMTand a healthcare assistant at the moment keeping my skills up with the Red cross apart from that im a bit lost.
    hoping 2013 will be my year for Paramedic.
    Claire999:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Word is that it's at an advanced stage to move to a CAO programme. I dunno if they will hire like they did the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BoonDoc

Are you willing to go to the UK? They are hiring Apprentice Paramedics.

If you are willing to get a non Irish paramedic there are options here in Ireland to get your US Paramedic certificate. Jobs are available in the offshore industry.

Plus, PHECC will recognise the US Paramedic qualification and give reciprocity into the PHECC Paramedic as long as you have one year of clinical experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

If any of those options already don't take your fancy...I'm recruiting EMTs and EFRs for work in London.. Just set up this thread..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82454100#post82454100

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Marty7

Claire999 wrote: »
    Hi all Im wondering if anyone knows of any good places/collages to go study Paramedic. As im sure with many people im loosing my patience with the recruitment or lack of it in Ireland. I am a EMTand a healthcare assistant at the moment keeping my skills up with the Red cross apart from that im a bit lost.
    hoping 2013 will be my year for Paramedic.
    Claire999:)
    Im in the same boat as you Claire999. Im also an EMT, keeping my skills with teaching first aid and working with a voluntary organisation. Im assuming you are already registered with publicjobs.ie?

You mentioned places/colleges to do the paramedics course? If its privately then check out www.ambulancetraining.ie, look down at the bottom of the homepage.

They were/are looking into doing a paramedic programme. To the best of my knowledge, its not started yet. Ive emailed them for information but as yet no word.

Their email for it is: paramedic.iati@gmail.com

Good luck.

There is a company down in Wexford who are offering the US Paramedic course. Part of it is online and part of it is in the U.S.
    info is here

They are asking €8500 for the course. PHECC will recognise the NREMT certificate from the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Banjoshane

BoonDoc wrote: »
    Are you willing to go to the UK? They are hiring Apprentice Paramedics.

If you are willing to get a non Irish paramedic there are options here in Ireland to get your US Paramedic certificate. Jobs are available in the offshore industry.

Plus, PHECC will recognise the US Paramedic qualification and give reciprocity into the PHECC Paramedic as long as you have one year of clinical experience.

Hey BoonDoc, do you know where in the UK is hiring apprentice paramedics? I'd love to find out!

Banjoshane wrote: »
    Hey BoonDoc, do you know where in the UK is hiring apprentice paramedics? I'd love to find out!

It was on the NHS jobs website about a month ago. I just rechecked and it is gone. I cannot find any information on it at all.

Sorry, mate, that ship has sailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Banjoshane

It was on the NHS jobs website about a month ago. I just rechecked and it is gone. I cannot find any information on it at all.

Sorry, mate, that ship has sailed.
    Ah no worries thanks anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

There are at least 10 universities that run paramedic courses every year in England, probably more. Although its too late to apply for this year as far as Im aware.

There are at least 10 universities that run paramedic courses every year in England, probably more. Although its too late to apply for this year as far as Im aware.

That is an option....

The problem with the new university paramedic is that it is geared for the leaving cert level. For those who are adults looking for a second career it is not that attractive to be in class with 19 y/o who are hung over and tweeting about it.

Talking with people in the UK Ambulance Service they say that these graduates are far less skilled than the original system of training.

Many people who are interested in working in the UK are opting to bypass the three years of university by going to the US to get their paramedic qualification. Once they have that they then ask for reciprocity into the NHS or here in the HSE.

You can also get your US Paramedic and go for just one year at Uni to get your foundation degree in paramedicine.
    It is through Plymouth University.

Basically spend 1 year getting your US Paramedic and 9 months in Plymouth and you can skip three years of Univ hell.

Cheaper too.

• Advertisement

That is an option....

The problem with the new university paramedic is that it is geared for the leaving cert level. For those who are adults looking for a second career it is not that attractive to be in class with 19 y/o who are hung over and tweeting about it.

Talking with people in the UK Ambulance Service they say that these graduates are far less skilled than the original system of training.

Many people who are interested in working in the UK are opting to bypass the three years of university by going to the US to get their paramedic qualification. Once they have that they then ask for reciprocity into the NHS or here in the HSE.

You can also get your US Paramedic and go for just one year at Uni to get your foundation degree in paramedicine.
    It is through Plymouth University.

Basically spend 1 year getting your US Paramedic and 9 months in Plymouth and you can skip three years of Univ hell.

Cheaper too.

I'd kind of prefer a piece of paper from a UK university rather than a place I've never heard of in Wexford. It seems a little amateurish and I've asked a few people and they've never heard of them.

May not be any cheaper in the long run too, the NHS fund your fees (including placements) if your an EU national and even give you a little grant if your a UK citizen :)

That is true. But I wouldn't say that Plymouth University is amateurish. They are a fully certified university in the UK.

That is true. But I wouldn't say that Plymouth University is amateurish. They are a fully certified university in the UK.

I'm talking about the place down in Wexford. Not exactly well known is it? And what happens if you sink 8.5k into it and this happens?

Go do it in the UK, at least your guaranteed some sort of PHECC equivalency, your wont have any problems with placement hours, supernumerary hours etc.

Good point. Didn't Game Stop do that awhile ago? And Anglo Irish Bank? This time last year there were Irish holiday makers stranded due to the airline going belly.

Even big well known and trusted businesses fail.

Buyer be aware......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Swansea, Sheffield Hallam, Liverpool JM and Edge hill universities all offer a 2year diploma in Paramedic Science which leaves you as a fully qualified Paramedic at the end.

The fees are paid by the Srtagetic Health Authority/NHS so no student loan. I'm in the process of applying now, closing date for UCAS is Jan 15th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Give that a look, it's a bit closer to home, I went to that college and from what I heard that course was pretty good

http://www.scd.ie/Fire__Ambulance_Service_Courses/Default.228.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭King Eric

@FairytaleGirl

You mention

"The fees are paid by the Srtagetic Health Authority/NHS so no student loan."

Do you have any more info on this or links to where I might find out more?

From what I tried to find out before, it looked like Paramedic courses were no longer on the list of funded courses. I'm really hoping I'm wrong though, as I'd be really interested in following the same route....

Edit: Looks like NHS Wales might have different rules to the other NHS, or else I could be completely wrong in what I originally thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭King Eric

Any idea if the placements on these courses are paid work placements? It seems logical, but if the tuition fees are paid,maybe that's all you get.

I've been looking into applying a lot more over the past day.

I think I got confused when I read about the NHS bursary, which I think now is separate to tuition fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kevkayak

Hi, I am just wondering if much has changed over the past few years in relation to the best way to become a paramedic.Is it doing the us course and going over there, or a course here or going to the UK for a course.I would like to do it over a number for weekend's and then do full time work experience.Or are you better off becoming an emt first?I have first aid training and rec training.ThanksKev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

kevkayak wrote: »
    Hi, I am just wondering if much has changed over the past few years in relation to the best way to become a paramedic.Is it doing the us course and going over there, or a course here or going to the UK for a course.I would like to do it over a number for weekend's and then do full time work experience.Or are you better off becoming an emt first?I have first aid training and rec training.ThanksKev

The best way is obviously recruitment through the NAS, DFB or Defence Forces because you are paid whilst training.
    Currently there are no public access paramedic courses available in Ireland.

There is a lot more to a paramedic course than doing it over a "number of weekends" as it is quite intensive. It takes almost two years to qualify as a paramedic in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kevkayak

There is a lot more to a paramedic course than doing it over a "number of weekends" as it is quite intensive. It takes almost two years to qualify as a paramedic in Ireland.[/QUOTE]

I do under stand it is a intensive and it really should be a full on course for the great work that they do everyday. thanks for the comments.

Is it better to become a EMT or just go straight to the course.

kevkayak wrote: »
    There is a lot more to a paramedic course than doing it over a "number of weekends" as it is quite intensive. It takes almost two years to qualify as a paramedic in Ireland.

I do under stand it is a intensive and it really should be a full on course for the great work that they do everyday. thanks for the comments.

Is it better to become a EMT or just go straight to the course.[/QUOTE]

I'm no expert on foreign courses but if you are paying to get on a paramedic course in the UK or US then you'd probably be better putting off the EMT course and saving your money to go to the paramedic course. As they are private courses they will more than likely take your money anyway, regardless if you are an EMT or not.

If you have an interest in working as an Intermediate Care Operative then the EMT course will certainly help but outside of that I haven't heard of too many job opportunities for EMT's here in Ireland.

Bang Bang wrote: »
    The best way is obviously recruitment through the NAS, DFB or Defence Forces because you are paid whilst training.
    Currently there are no public access paramedic courses available in Ireland.

First, waiting to go through the PHECC paramedic application programme will take years of waiting and competing for limited training places.

Second, there are private paramedic training companies here in Ireland that certify for a US registered paramedic and an Industry Paramedic. There are graduates from this company who are working in the Oil and Gas industry.

PHECC is not the only way to earn your paramedic. In fact, a PHECC paramedic is not up to the paramedic standards found internationally. A two year PHECC paramedic programme is great but the graduates cannot get jobs outside of Ireland.

So, you have two choices: Wait here in Ireland and compete against the 1200 PHECC EMTs waiting to apply for a few PHECC paramedic jobs..... Or earn a paramedic qualification that will get you work outside of Ireland with a starting wage around £300 per day tax free.

Bang Bang wrote: »
    I'm no expert on foreign courses but if you are paying to get on a paramedic course in the UK or US then you'd probably be better putting off the EMT course and saving your money to go to the paramedic course.

You have to have a current EMT cert in order to attend the US or Industry Paramedic course. This is the international standard for paramedics. Ireland and the UK are the only ones that I know who will take someone with no medical training and teach paramedic.

In the US, Canada and South Africa you have to have EMT, PCP and the BAA certs before you can even think about applying for the paramedic level of training.

I am no expert either but I have worked with or for the EMS in the US, Canada and South Africa.

Thanks for clearing up some inaccuracies BoonDoc. Although I am aware of the various levels or levels recognised as Paramedic throughout the world.

But I am very much speaking from an Ireland perspective and currently the best way, in my opinion, to become a Paramedic is via the agencies I've listed. The reasons being you don't have to pay for the course, you get paid whilst training and there is a pensionable job at the end of it. On top of that you will be working in the pre-hospital emergency medical services in Ireland, which is where most Paramedics resident in Ireland wish to work.

Good point and you are absolutely correct.

The PHECC training system here is a great option. In the US, Canada and South Africa you have no option but to pay your way through paramedic school and then get a job at around $15 per hour.

People can complain about pay here in Ireland but APs are getting €50k per year. That is more than anything I have seen elsewhere.

I would have loved the chance to be paid whilst in medic school and guaranteed a high paying job once certified. My first gig as a medic was just a smidgen over the $15 per hour average. Not really enough to pay rent and food and loans for medic school.

Also, here in Ireland you get paid holidays which isn't always the case elsewhere. Plus you get up to 30 days per year for paid holiday and sick leave. In the US sick leave meant that you just didn't get paid whilst sick.

So yes, I can understand why there are 1200 qualified PHECC EMTs who are competing for 10 paramedic jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

There is a course starting in UCD september of next year

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057130040

Advertisement