Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parnell St Area

Options
  • 19-12-2012 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

EDIT - The title should have read Parnell Street area. Oops :/

Hi everyone. A friend and I are looking to move to Dublin and just viewed a lovely apartment in Pearse St. It's Stewart Hall on Ryders Row (great street name!) just beside Cineworld. It seems like a grand area to me but various online searches have painted a picture of Pearce St being a dangerous area.

So, what do ye think? Is this part of town really so bad or is it just people assuming the worst? Any advice would be great. Need some insider knowledge :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

good Tesco's there and bang in the middle of town, probably looks worse than what it really is due to the age and hemmed in nature of the area, Domininck Street flats near there don't have the best name though.

I'd take it over being stuck in a down at heel part of Jobstown or Finglas though, I think the impersonal and transient nature of town can have some benefits as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Thread title changed for ya there.

Mark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

dd972 wrote: »
    good Tesco's there and bang in the middle of town, probably looks worse than what it really is due to the age and hemmed in nature of the area, Domininck Street flats near there don't have the best name though.

I'd take it over being stuck in a down at heel part of Jobstown or Finglas though, I think the impersonal and transient nature of town can have some benefits as well.

Each to their own I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

The area itself is considered to be dangerous, I'm not gonna lie.

However, I live in an area that's considered to be very dangerous and I have never, in my 12 years in this area, ever had any trouble. It's all about being sensible. Obviously don't go for a stroll around the streets in the middle of the night and have a bit of cop on and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It's not a dangerous area. Very handy location for getting around town, you have Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes and Tesco practically on your doorstep, you're near the Black Sheep for good grub and beer, get yourself an unlimited card in Cineworld and you'll be laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

not dangerous at all, as for dominick street flats -they are quiet and most of them are knocked down now as well. I lived there for years and years

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Thanks for the messages so far everyone, very helpful. Makes you wonder why so many people seem to think it's a dodgy area. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 kling

gawker wrote: »
    Thanks for the messages so far everyone, very helpful. Makes you wonder why so many people seem to think it's a dodgy area. :confused:

It's the north inner city - that's enough to send many running for their mammies.

Employ the normal cop-on you'd expect in any city and you'll be fine. Parnell street is a bit gritty, but it's far from dangerous - any time of day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

kling wrote: »
    It's the north inner city - that's enough to send many running for their mammies.

Employ the normal cop-on you'd expect in any city and you'll be fine. Parnell street is a bit gritty, but it's far from dangerous - any time of day.

south inner city is the same, i would consider thomas street one of the roughest parts of the entire city centre and its south of the liffey, i worked in kennys pub opposite james hospital, one of the dodgiest pubs in the country. .

the area the op asks about is grand, not a bit of bother and as cathy said, get yourself the cineworld card, unlimited entertainment for a fraction of the cost of buying single tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Janey_Mac

gawker wrote: »

Well, a lot of the north inner city has problems with social deprivation and all that goes with it, so you'd see more evidence of drugs and the like, and people tend to assume it's dangerous.

I live in D1 near a road where I've walked past people roaring their request for "deh yellah wans!" out the window to their mate on the street. It can be a bit unpleasant, I've no problem admitting, like how one time I had to help a neighbour get a collapsed drunk guy off her front steps at five in the afternoon, but I keep my wits about me and I've never had any trouble myself. And I'm a small, middle-class woman in my 20s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

These comments come up whenever the inner city locations are mentioned. Be it London, Glasgow, Dublin inner cities attract transients and people who use low cost council accommodation. You have to mind yourself, be careful when you have drink on board, dont flash the cash. If confronted walk/run away to safety. These rules apply in Foxrock as well

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

Been living here for 4 years, great spot. There are nearby neighbourhoods that have their fair share of problems and that is often visually evident, but I dont think it can be called dangerous. Handy for everywhere in town, great range of pubs nearby, decent places to eat, good mix of people. Lots of brazilians, chinese and koreans in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I worked on Parnell Street for 10 years OP and it's fine. In that 10 years it's really had a new lease of life with the cinema, the Woolshed, Tesco and other places. It's quiet a busy area and it's rare that you'd actually see any trouble.

I'd be perfectly happy to walk there at any time of the day or night. Like anywhere it can be dodgy but you just need to be sensible. Don't wander off onto side streets or down dark alleys and you'll be find.

It's a busy area due to the retail/leisure facilities and the whole area has a fairly young population as it's a popular rental area.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sidd

Agree with many of the posts above, lived in the area for 9 years and never once had any problems. I loved the location, great for food, shops and stumbling home after a night on the town. Would have no problems moving back.

Advertisement