Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How safe is Central Belfast?

• 20-12-2012 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on going a two night trip to Belfast in January, and I'm just wondering how safe Central Belfast is right now? I know there's a bit of trouble recently, and obviously I'd prefer any potential trip to be as safe as possible. So any feedback from residents/people who've been there recently? Thanks :)

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You'll be fine. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

don't dress provocatively in either a celtic or gaelic football shirt, or a Union flag shirt, and don't try to pay for stuff in euros!!

oh yeah, if you DO see trouble, WALK AWAY!!!!!

its safer than walking round certain areas of Manchester in the wrong colour shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Centre of town? No bother.... Certainly safer than the likes of Dublin or Limerick.... Even with all the current stupidity,the actual violence happens around the estates where the oxygen thieves rioters are to be found.

Edit: Btw, enjoy the trip, I'd recommend the John Hewitt for music of the non diddley-aye variety and beer of the non Guinness, variety or Kelly's Cellars for the other.... Plenty of nightclubs for those who like music of the non-music variety! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 marinell

Why not pay using euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

marinell wrote: »
    Why not pay using euros

They never joined the euro currency....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 marinell

i thought the shops accepted euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The exchange rate isn't good, particularly in pubs/shops. Just use bank card and withdraw sterling.

It's very safe OP, you'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You'll have no bother at all as they are a very friendly bunch by and large. The shop assistants are very mannerly and helpful.
    Just wear ordinary clothes and say nothing provocative. Nice pubs and restaurants too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

marinell wrote: »
    i thought the shops accepted euros

Probably do in the border towns but Belfast is not on the border.

Oh fer goodness sake you aren't American, therefore don't expect everyone to accept your currency!!

would you go to the US, or Canada, or Egypt, or Japan and expect to pay in Euros? the UK is not in the Euro Zone (thank Goodness)

set the politics of we're all one island aside and wise up!!

pay by credit/debit and get cash out of a machine for cash transactions.

I've been across the border loads even waaay back in the days of punts, and I've never tried to pay in Sterling.

why do so many people find this hard to understand?

sorry, rant over!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

set the politics of we're all one island aside and wise up!!
    It was a simple question asked by someone who hadnt been to Belfast before. Bearing in mind that a LOT of shops in NI do accept Euros it was a reasonable question to ask and certainly did not warrant that type of abuse.

Take this as verbal warning and hopefully we wont see a repeat.

OK sorry for any offence caused, but this same question gets asked SOOOOOO often!!!

travel outside the eurozone and get the currency.

it aint rocket science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Thanks for all the feedback guys :)

someone DID say Belfast nightlife was pretty hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

pontia wrote: »
    i dont see riots and flags on fire in dublin most nights

+1

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't see junkies wandering around Belfast major streets.

I've lived in both, Belfast is much safer at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

I have yet to see rioting loyalists burning irish flags and attacking police in Dublin Limerick or Cork city centres either.The excuse before was that it was only the suburbs.After this christmas period that theory sure has gone out the window.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

I was in Belfast recently (not flag-riot-recently before that) and the city centre was neutral, totally safe, and both nicer and cleaner than Dublin tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I lived there for a few years and found Belfast city centre actually better than Dublin in terms of fights or aggressive behavior.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Was up their December 30th at the titanic quarter, nothing happened to us.

• Advertisement

<SNIP>

Nor will you see it in the centre of Belfast....

Treadhead wrote: »
    Nor will you see it in the centre of Belfast....
    Just to advise that the pontia account has been site banned so you can ignore that comment he/she made. I've deleted it in any event. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I am pondering a trip to Belfast myself my issue is as anyone else thinks is Belfast a place to avoid latley? I used to love a few trips a year up to Belfast now im skeptical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lets be honest, nothing will happen you in the city centre but you may be inconvenienced if you run into a protest.

On the outskirts or in East Belfast, you may have your car torched!

What he sadi!

stay out of the east, don't wear politically provocative clothing and change your euro to sterling before you travel.

have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

stay out of the east, don't wear politically provocative clothing and change your euro to sterling before you travel.

Many shops do accept Euros but you will be totally stiffed on the exchange rate. I wouldn't even bother changing my cash at the post office or a bank though, just take it out of the bank machine once you're up there. You will pay a small set fee (you can check with your bank how much this will be) and the exchange rate at the time of withdrawal.

Many shops do accept Euros but you will be totally stiffed on the exchange rate. I wouldn't even bother changing my cash at the post office or a bank though, just take it out of the bank machine once you're up there. You will pay a small set fee (you can check with your bank how much this will be) and the exchange rate at the time of withdrawal.

AFAIK there's no extra charge for Ulster Bank customers from down South if they use UB machines up here (there certainly isn't going the other way). Possibly the other cross-border banks are the same, I don't know.

Guys, you are all running off topic here.

Dunno mate, using a hole in the wall machine can be really dangerous!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jemser

Planning on heading up to Belfast next weekend, been there a few times and never had any trouble. Can anyone tell me where the weekly flag protest to city hall goes? anywhere near Botanic Avenue?
    Cheers

Advertisement