Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Survery Issue

Options
  • 20-12-2012 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

hi,

I have an account with a bank and they have hired a company to do research for them. What has pissed me off to no end is that they used my work email address which I had registered on my internet banking together with a personal email address. The issues that totally drove me mad is that they sent an reminder email on this survey - this took the biscuit

I am currently annoying the arse off them about how this company got my email address and name but I assume they have not broken any data protection issues. First email says they supplied the information the next says they didn't...

Any comments welcome on whether i can force this issue with them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

1. You gave the bank the Email address and the survey is on their behalf. What's the big deal about using an Email account that you registered with them?

2. Ignore the blasted Emails.

3. So you got a couple of Emails. What exactly is there to get so annoyed about?

4. Why force the issue? What's to be gained?

Just don't reply. No issue.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

1. You gave the bank the Email address and the survey is on their behalf. What's the big deal about using an Email account that you registered with them?

3. So you got a couple of Emails. What exactly is there to get so annoyed about?

"If" the op didn't give his permission for details to be passed to a third party in this manner the bank have now broken the data protection act. Its a big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

This has two prongs, the people who care about how their personal data is used and those that don't.

It's illegal for a company to pass personal data to third parties without your consent. The issue becomes bigger if that third party then further distributes or uses your information in a way not originally agreed too.

Tazium wrote: »
    This has two prongs, the people who care about how their personal data is used and those that don't.

It's illegal for a company to pass personal data to third parties without your consent. The issue becomes bigger if that third party then further distributes or uses your information in a way not originally agreed too.

Where is the third party? The survey is on behalf of the bank. No different than the surveys carried out by Motor companies after you buy a car; carried out on behalf of the company. Data is supplied by the customer and is legit for use by the company and it's agents. There is no indication, based on the information supplied by the OP, that there is any data protection issue here.

If it bugs the OP so much, he can contact the Data Protection Commissioner for an opinion.
    http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/about/1c.htm&CatID=15&m=a

Where is the third party? The survey is on behalf of the bank. No different than the surveys carried out by Motor companies after you buy a car; carried out on behalf of the company. Data is supplied by the customer and is legit for use by the company and it's agents. There is no indication, based on the information supplied by the OP, that there is any data protection issue here.

Just there.

• Advertisement

Tazium wrote: »
    Just there.

Nope. Check the legislation.
    It is also permissible to contract a third party company to carry out market research for your company. Such a contract should stipulate that the personal data supplied can only be used for the purpose supplied, must be held securely and deleted or returned at the conclusion or termination of the contract. In addition, it should be made clear to recipients of the survey that it is being carried out on behalf of your company.
    The OP would also need to check the T&Cs when he registered his Email account with the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Ni,

I had a fair idea that no data protection issues were breached. It the fact that they emailed my work account and they did not provide any info that they were doing something like this. I think they should have provided an email to the internet banking email function and not just bang the email out without any prior warning. If it was a registered banks email account I would be ok with it, but some fook's email address coming in is what got on my wick together with the reminder.

I am nearly certain that I said I didn't want any contact/pr crap hitting me and then to receive this email. One email they said they provided my name and email address and the next email they said they didn't. The bank have apologized for the wrong information.

I am busting their balls over it because it will make them think twice about doing something like this again. One poster saying ignore emails etc is not the point. I don't want these emails coming in. Also I said I didn't want pr crap and then receiving it.

Nope. Check the legislation.
    It is also permissible to contract a third party company to carry out market research for your company.
    The OP would also need to check the T&Cs when he registered his Email account with the bank.

You still need to provide consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Maybe I'm missing something but you keep complaining that they emailed your work account. If you don't want mails to be sent to that address then why give it in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

OP, can you remember whether you ticked the box to allow contact at your email address?

• Advertisement

Gillo wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something but you keep complaining that they emailed your work account. If you don't want mails to be sent to that address then why give it in the first place?

There is a difference between PR crap and emails that I find relevant. For example if I get my ebank statement into my account, I get an email saying it is there. This is ok with me because it is from the bank.

Getting an email from some other company who want to do PR is another thing. I know its from the bank but I do not want any PR stuff only stuff relevant to the bank account.

Another user - why reg the email address - well to receive relevant emails.

AltAccount wrote: »
    OP, can you remember whether you ticked the box to allow contact at your email address?

I have the account 10 years or so with many beers in those 10 years I cannot be sure.

Ah i think i will drop it. They have me off their list now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just log a complaint with the Data Commissioners Office http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/rights/2f.htm&CatID=21&m=r

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Just log a complaint with the Data Commissioners Office http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/rights/2f.htm&CatID=21&m=r

There is no cause for a complain. As explained above, a survey by agents of the bank is perfectly in order.

The OP provided the Email address in the first place and doesn't know squat about what he agreed to receive. Why even provide his work Email as opposed to his personal one?

It was 2 mails to a work address (jeez 2 out of dozens per day probably) what was the big deal?

There is no cause for a complain. As explained above, a survey by agents of the bank is perfectly in order.

The OP provided the Email address in the first place and doesn't know squat about what he agreed to receive. Why even provide his work Email as opposed to his personal one?

It was 2 mails to a work address (jeez 2 out of dozens per day probably) what was the big deal?

It is not in order to do so if I said i didnt want it. i don't know why you can take this in.
    I have both email addresses registered as I said before.

I have asked for a complete data file from them so will know for definite but I usually decline PR crap which is why I was pissed about it or I will be pissed that I didnt click it off. The account was set up 10 years ago so it's hard to remember everything i did 10 years ago.

2 mails jeez i didn't want is the problem

It is not in order to do so if I said i didnt want it. i don't know why you can take this in.
    I have both email addresses registered as I said before.

I have asked for a complete data file from them so will know for definite but I usually decline PR crap which is why I was pissed about it or I will be pissed that I didnt click it off. The account was set up 10 years ago so it's hard to remember everything i did 10 years ago.

2 mails jeez i didn't want is the problem

You may have chosen the no marketing contact option, there are no options to opt out of PR; but this is only a survey. A survey is neither PR nor marketing.

Jeez, just 2 emails - :rolleyes:

You may have chosen the no marketing contact option, there are no options to opt out of PR; but this is only a survey. A survey is neither PR nor marketing.

Jeez, just 2 emails - :rolleyes:

I think a survey is a part of marketing and in this instance the bank have made a bollox of public/customer relations with a customer so I have a valid requirement for calling it this. They are inter linked tbh and not going to get anal on the definitions. Its off topic anyway.

You don't get the point jeez!!! Go figure!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Why register your email address with them in the first place if you didnt want them emailing you?

I think a survey is a part of marketing...

A customer survey is just that; a survey. It is not marketing. Have you never completed a survey? A great way to tell a company what you feel about them and to influence decision making.

Why register your email address with them in the first place if you didnt want them emailing you?

read some of the thread

• Advertisement

A customer survey is just that; a survey. It is not marketing. Have you never completed a survey? A great way to tell a company what you feel about them and to influence decision making.

No clue what type of survey the bank issued but there are different types of surveys for different purposes. Have you ever heard of a marketing research survey jeez.. again of topic but go figure!!

No clue what type of survey the bank issued but there are different types of surveys for different purposes. Have you ever heard of a marketing research survey jeez.. again of topic but go figure!!

So you are losing the rag about a survey being PR and you don't even know what kind of survey it actually is! And 2 little Emails make you lose your cool.

From a consumer Issue point of view I'd say you sound like a customer from hell. Bottom line is they did nothing wrong because the Data protection legislation has not been broken and a survey is not marketing material all the while you gave them your Email address.

So you are losing the rag about a survey being PR and you don't even know what kind of survey it actually is! And 2 little Emails make you lose your cool.

From a consumer Issue point of view I'd say you sound like a customer from hell. Bottom line is they did nothing wrong because the Data protection legislation has not been broken and a survey is not marketing material all the while you gave them your Email address.

I don't know what you don't get. its not complicated, just forget about it. I do not want the emails and in turn I didn't get a fiddlers what these emails had to do. I have no problem with the bank to-date just don't be sending me emails from some other company I don't know. i am a model customer just leave me alone. Its a very simple process - i contact the bank when I have an issue or problem else leave me alone (a simple if clause would be the check)

At the very start I said I didn't think they did anything wrong from a data protection point of view. However, if i had clicked the check box for marketing/pr/whatever then we could have an issue- this includes any correspondence whether you classify a survey as marketing/pr etc. You don't classify it as marketing doesn't make it right. I would think a lot of Marketing departments would have an issue with this as this would be one of their processes for getting data to build a marketing/pr strategy or could be a way of notify customers of their product or services. There are lots of different surveys for different reasons You are off topic again going on about this.

I have contacted the bank because I don't want a repeat of this.

This thread should be closed as I will sort it with the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Emails from Zombie banks ? You cannot kill what is already dead !

Advertisement