Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the story with Lily Mae?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Not taking any side in this debate, but this is only half true. http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/faqs-charities.html#section1

You can't register as a charity, but you can register as a charitable organisation for tax exemption and you get a CHY number. IMO it's the same thing. Certainly it's the only thing that's actually important. Having the CHY number gives credibility to something, even if it's something batsh1t insane like Youth Defence or a chugging business.

yeah but a CHY really doesn't mean anything, any non profit can get one, it just takes a while of processing. It's not hard, just time consuming. If I was running a campaign like Sunni-Mae, I wouldn't bother. They are fund raising for a set set period of time and will not exist as an organisation, ever. They have no need to structure themselves like that, it would just be wasted time.

If they do decide to carry on fundraising and raising awareness, they they might have a reason to bother jumping through hoops, but right now, it would be pointless and they'd have no real benefit from it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Don't wanna see a child sick or anything but Wouldn't buy a CD for charity if the music is crap... and lets face it, the music is crap on these kind of things. Now where the fook is my Godspeed You! Black Emperors vinyl collection at?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

listenup wrote: »
    are you seriously a moderator ?you have just made the most retarded statement I have ever read on boards I think whoever gave you your powers should seriously reconsider their choice !!!!!

I'm just a regular poster on Galway City.

I am a moderator on Work and Jobs, where pretty much bog-standard advice would be "don't mention anything to do with sickness in your CV, even if you're fine now, it might put employers off, no one wants to hire a person with tendancy to sickness". If you think that's "retarded" please come over there to discuss it.

If you want to complain about my behaviour here, use the Report Post button.

If you want to complain about how I moderate W&J, Helpdesk forum is over here.

Back on topic:
    This kid has a pretty distinctive name. In 20 years, people won't remember the details of why they recognize the name, they'll just vaguely associate it with cancer/sickness.

And if it was my kid, I have no idea whether I'd be splashing her picture everywhere in this situation or not. But I would think twice about it.

nocoverart wrote: »
    Don't wanna see a child sick or anything but Wouldn't buy a CD for charity if the music is crap... and lets face it, the music is crap on these kind of things. Now where the fook is my Godspeed You! Black Emperors vinyl collection at?

I bought the CD ... didn't say it would be going anywhere near a CD player though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

I'm just a regular poster on Galway City.

I am a moderator on Work and Jobs, where pretty much bog-standard advice would be "don't mention anything to do with sickness in your CV, even if you're fine now, it might put employers off, no one wants to hire a person with tendancy to sickness". If you think that's "retarded" please come over there to discuss it.

If you want to complain about my behaviour here, use the Report Post button.

If you want to complain about how I moderate W&J, Helpdesk forum is over here.

Back on topic:
    This kid has a pretty distinctive name. In 20 years, people won't remember the details of why they recognize the name, they'll just vaguely associate it with cancer/sickness.

And if it was my kid, I have no idea whether I'd be splashing her picture everywhere in this situation or not. But I would think twice about it.

I bought the CD ... didn't say it would be going anywhere near a CD player though :-)
    you seriously think that her parents should consider her potential for employment 20 years from now over using images to help promote the single ????
    somebody please fire the person who gave this girl a moderator job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Moderatorship isn't a "job" they don't get paid (except for the coke and hookers that DeVore passes down when he's had his fill).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

listenup wrote: »
    you seriously think that her parents should consider her potential for employment 20 years from now over using images to help promote the single ????

She has a point - high profile campaigns such as this tend to be remembered for a long time. From there it depends on the type of person that is remembering the "facts" of the situation (which will be blurred over time) as well as their position.
    But in an age when it's not even a good idea to take a photo of anyone's kid without written consent - and when some of parents won't even give that consent - the wide use of her picture, especially some of the in-hospital shots, makes me a bit uncomfortable.

MrsO'B I wouldn't be worried about the use of the pictures, as you said yourself her parents are pushing this and asking for publicity. It's be a very different thing if a charity started an appeal for funds using the pictures without her parents permission.

Advertisement