Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

• 20-12-2012 2:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,855 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone interested in this? Just looks like more of the same to me, disappointed at what Square has being doing lately. Lightning is the only playable character.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

No they can **** off. They have raped my memories of Final Fantasy enough as it is. They can all go suck a bag of dicks. When they actually produce a game worthy of the final fantasy name I shall give them some of my money, till then they can have the bag of dicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,855 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Arawn wrote: »
    They can all go suck a bag of dicks

iOYF1vPnsYjll.gif

Also I don't know how the **** she's a lead character in two games. She's ****ing ****.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Despite it's flaws I enjoyed FFXIII for what it was. I played it in 2 hours bursts so didn't binge on it. Crappy story but some decent characterisation, gorgeous music and the best battle system since job system kept me going.

By all account XIII-2 is a better game so I'll buy this and play it even if the story is a load of arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Man I use to love ff. Pity the game is so crap these days

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Despite it's flaws I enjoyed FFXIII for what it was. I played it in 2 hours bursts so didn't binge on it. Crappy story but some decent characterisation, gorgeous music and the best battle system since job system kept me going.

By all account XIII-2 is a better game so I'll buy this and play it even if the story is a load of arse.

XIII-2 is a better game, then again what I just flushed down the jax is also a better game than XIII

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,714 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You eat up all that sequel crap and tell me VII is a dated game? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Overheal wrote: »
    You eat up all that sequel crap and tell me VII is a dated game? :confused:

Dated doesn't mean crap. FFVII has dated poorly in many regards/was never as good as your teenage mind made it to be but it's still a great game, better than FFXIII. The fan reaction to FFXIII reeks of fan over reaction just like with the the Mass Effect 3 ending. It was disappointing but far from crap. FF has never had great writing or stories and other than 12 and the second half of 6 it's been extremely linear, FFXIII just does a bad job of disguising it. Also I never see people complain about fan darling FFX which was just as much a long corridor of FFXIII. Not that it's a good thing but there's a bad case of selective criticism and over reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

original.jpg

This makes me smile.

Can't say that FFXIII endeared me, I found it a bit boring. I've not really enjoyed or completed a FF game since X anyway, and the last few years have just been replays of VII through X.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Despite it's flaws I enjoyed FFXIII for what it was. I played it in 2 hours bursts so didn't binge on it.

This is what I did as well. I usually cram my way through a FF release in about 2 weeks (XII took a little longer). But it was only by little drips and drops that I was able to tolerate FFXIII's banality. 18 months I think. Not even going to touch XIII-2 until I muster the patience and energy to kill the last hunt. If I follow the same strategy for XIII-2 then this one will surely be in the bargain bins by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

snausages wrote: »
    This is what I did as well. I usually cram my way through a FF release in about 2 weeks (XII took a little longer). But it was only by little drips and drops that I was able to tolerate FFXIII's banality. 18 months I think. Not even going to touch XIII-2 until I muster the patience and energy to kill the last hunt. If I follow the same strategy for XIII-2 then this one will surely be in the bargain bins by then.

It already is. I've seen it for as low as 15 now.

Lightning Returns I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,426 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I quit FFXIII after about 2 hours on Pulse.

First time I have ever quit a FF game halfway.

Music is awesome and battles were enjoyable enough but it wasn't enough to force me thorugh with the god awful characters and nonsensical story.

It was too repetitive as well. All FF games have lots of battles but there is usually something to splice in between - all the side quests once I got to Pulse seemed to be battle related.

X was extremely linear as well but it sustained itself throughout with the illusion of freedom. You could backtrack. You could play blitzball. You could pop into a few optional dungeons. XIII has none of this, at least not until Gran Pulse when it overwhelms you with sidequests that would have been better had they been dispersed throughout the game. In the end it becomes just another kind of linearity.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

All the Final fantasy's have been poor since they started talking(10 onwards I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

10 and 12 were still great games.

I thought the idea of XIII-2 was ridiculous until I played it, and loved it. Cheesy and cringey at parts, but I always wanted to keep fighting and playing. I'll reserve judgement on the next installement until it comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

wow another spin off of the crappiest FF i ever played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    All the Final fantasy's have been poor since they started talking(10 onwards I think)

XII was brilliant. X was good and actually seems to me to be lot better in retrospect than I originally thought it was as launch.

XIII is staggeringly tedious. Of all the games in the Final Fantasy series than needed two sequels, this is pretty much bottom of the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,426 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I loved X.

Very much liked XIII even if stories and characters were a bit on the crap side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I wonder why they feel they can milk what was a crap game to begin with for all its worth.

• Advertisement

wow another spin off of the crappiest FF i ever played

You say that as if Final Fantasy 2 never happened.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm genuinely baffled there's an audience for continued stories set in the FFXIII universe. Whatever about the original game itself - which I thought was beyond a bore - but the world, story and characters weren't exactly the most fascinating I've ever partially endured. Yes, a few interesting things, but a resounding 'meh' overall. Even with gameplay improvements, Cocoon (or wherever it has subsequently expanded to) is such a bland setting and Lightning such an uninspiring protagonist that the idea of reexamining them just does not at all appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

I picked up ff13-2 in harvey normans today for €9 on ps3. Dunno why, I never finished the other one. Maby one day I'll return to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I gave up on XIII after about 6 months. I've finished 5-12, am almost finished IV and finished some of the others. But I just couldn't finish this one. Got to Pulse which I thought was really good at first but I quickly got sick of just fighting over and over... I actually thought the battle system was good enough, and hit a good few sweet spots (I remember finding the battle with Barthandelus to be an enjoyable challenge) but I just found it repetitive at that stage. And I guess hating all of the characters apart from Lightning didn't help.

I may play XIII-2, as it's supposed to be better, if I can get it for cheap that is. And there's absolutely no way I'll buy Lightning Returns on release.

I wish they'd just back to releasing standalone games. When XIII came out I was a bit annoyed that I'd probably have to wait a while for a XIV (which then became XV) which I might like again because of all the other XIII games they had. And then XIII-2 was announced, and now this, they're just prolonging the agony...

You say that as if Final Fantasy 2 never happened.

the first FF i got properly into was 7, tried playing a few of the older ones but havnt finished any of them yet, i actually have 3ds so is there any good FF remakes on the ds i should play?

I'm not mad about the FF3 remake on DS. It wasn't a great game to begin with and the DS version is slower. The FFIV remake however is superb stuff altogether. I'd recommend the PSP version of FFIV as well since it's closer to the SNES game, the DS version is changed quite a bit so they are quite different.

Also don't ignore four heroes of light which is another great game.

going a little off topic here sorry :( but my 3ds isnt seeing a whole lot of action these days, What rpg's would you recommend buying from both the 3ds and ds catalogs (never owned a ds)? and my god FF IV on the ds seems like a bitch to try and find

Where to start with DS RPG's, there's so many amazing ones.

Top of the pile are

Etrian Odyssey 1, 2 and 3. Takes first person dungeon crawlers and modernises them into something amazing.
    The World Ends with You is great and was made for the DS.

Definitely worth considering:

Chrono Trigger
    Contact
    Devil Survivor 1 and 2
    Dragon Quest 4, 5, 6 and 9
    Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 1 and 2
    Fire Emblem
    Front Mission
    The Mario and Luigi games
    Golden Sun
    Radiant Historia
    Retro Game Challenge (has a superb 8-bit style RPG as one of the games)
    Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
    Shiren the Wanderer
    Solatorobo

For 3DS there's only really Devil Survivor Overclocked which is US only so far and Tales of Abyss which is great. Etrian Odyssey 4 and Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers will be out soon but they are US only so far and likely to stay that way. TBH, you are better off with a US 3DS otherwise you might miss out on most of the Atlus, Aksys and XSeed games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm quite interested to see how this turns out. FFXIII-2 was just about saved from being a pile of crap by an amazing villain and an improved battle system. I'm getting a bit fed up with people touting the earlier FFs as being near perfect. For me, at least the series has improved quite a bit with FFXII and FFXIII. Although, I hate open world sandbox games so take that as you will.

Spoony has started a scathing series of videos about his hatred of FFXIII for anyone who's interested:

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

So they're making a sequel to that crap, and won't comment on the re-release of FFX, one of the actually good ones? :confused:

Advertisement