Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So its Bliain na Gaeilge now is it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Christ.:rolleyes:

Is there a passage somewhere in the Bible saying Jesus created the Irish language or am I missing something?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Is there a passage somewhere in the Bible saying Jesus created the Irish language or am I missing something?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:?

No.

As a hard pressed taxpayer, I'm kinda gettin tired of paying for your hobbyhorse.

Pay for your own hobbies & stop dipping into our pockets, if you please.

Thank You.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

No.

As a hard pressed taxpayer, I'm kinda gettin tired of paying for your hobbyhorse.

Thank You.

Ah, I pay tax too and I am happy for it to be spent on the Irish language...

Deedsie wrote: »
    Ah, I pay tax too and I am happy for it to be spent on the Irish language...

So you like throwing money down the drain?

Good for you.

I can't afford this kind of nonsense & want to see an end to it.

That's my view on it.

No.

Thank You.

Jesus, Mary & Joseph. :rolleyes:

Jesus, Mary & Joseph. :rolleyes:

Okay. Expand your arguement a little bit here.

Why is a lot of Irish taxpayers earnings being spent/wasted on your hobbyhorse?

It's been done for the last 80/90 years to do nothing but please people like yourself.

What's the result?

So you like throwing money down the drain?

Good for you.

I can't afford this kind of nonsense & want to see an end to it.

That's my view on it.

I don't consider it throwing money down the drain... Compared to some of our other government expenditures... Public servants who get more than €100000 a year. The way the money is used to teach Irish isn't great...

Ill always support the preservation of our heritage. A globalised Anglo/American monoculture is grand like... But I find it a bit boring!

Okay. Expand your arguement a little bit here.

Why is a lot of Irish taxpayers earnings being spent/wasted on your hobbyhorse?

It's been done for the last 80/90 years to do nothing but please people like yourself.

What's the result?

Because, according to the constitution Irish and English are equal... They have to be treate the same... Am I saying it wrong or something?

Ill always support the preservation of our heritage. A globalised Anglo/American monoculture is grand like... But I find it a bit boring!

I agree with you on this, but there's no excuse for the money spent on the Irish language in our educational system.

Being Irish means loads more than the 'Langwach'.

It's about the Parish, the GAA, music, the Mammy in the kitchen, footing turf, having a few pints.

In real life, most people see the' languich' as a burden that has to be endured.

Irish language fanatics everywhere, take a pat on the back.

Youve made your hobby a laughing stock & an expensive one to boot.

Good on yer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Chun a bheith macánta, tá fadhb ar bith agam leis an teanga (obviously) agus táim tuirseach traochta le na daoine ag tabhart amach gad stad. Yeah, níor mhaith liom an Leaving Cert nó an Junior Cert in aon chor, ach ní fáth é sin fuath a fháil don theanga.

Honestly, I just do not understand it. Nobody is being forced to do anything here, yet we still have people complaining.
    In ionad a beith ag tabhairt amach ar an idirlíon faoi rud nach bhfuil chun athrú, cén fáth nach usáideann tú an t-am sin chun teanga dúchasach do tír féin a foughlaim?

Tá Gaeilge éasca mar ábhar má chuireann tú an iarracht isteach le bheith ionraic.

Cén fáth nach thaitníonn Gaeilge leat?

Nice bit of google translate there lads but you're not allowed to post Irish here without providing a translation.
    Because, according to the constitution Irish and English are equal... They have to be treate the same... Am I saying it wrong or something?
    America has the right idea. Have no official language and let people choose their own tongue. Democracy will win out in the end.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

For anyone who fancies using their couple focal without having to worry about the patronising, shite-spouting trolls, please do feel free to post in Teach na nGealt. We're always looking for new posters to join in. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Nice bit of google translate there lads but you're not allowed to post Irish here without providing a translation

There's no chance in hell Google Translate could have provided translations up the standard of Irish in those quotes. Hard luck, buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Nice bit of google translate there lads but you're not allowed to post Irish here without providing a translation.

America has the right idea. Have no official language and let people choose their own tongue. Democracy will win out in the end.

English won out because they killed most of the natives and assimilated the rest.

Same as here.

Ya lets all be a copy of Americans... I think you'll have a long wait before anything happens to funding or policy on mandatory Irish and English in school. The Oireachtas is made up of far to many former teachers for any removal in the next few years... The gaeilscoils popping up over the country will increase participation in Irish eventually!

QUOTE=Deedsie;82337916]Because, according to the constitution Irish and English are equal... They have to be treate the same... Am I saying it wrong or something?
    America has the right idea. Have no official language and let people choose their own tongue. Democracy will win out in the end.[/QUOTE]

You think they worry about that!!!!!!!!

These ****s have been headbutting anybody who'll listen to their craziness for decades.

Unfortunately,they've always gotten an ear in the Dail.:rolleyes:

I think they are the most selfish idiots that have ever roamed the streets of Ireland.

They should be shouted down at every turn be treated like the dogs that they are.

I mean that most sincerely folks.

• Advertisement

These ****s have been headbutting anybody who'll listen to their craziness for decades.

I think they are the most selfish idiots that have ever roamed the streets of Ireland.

They should be shouted down at every turn be treated like the dogs that they are.

The fascism of English language supremacism.

This is about a minority language being talked a bit more on the streets. The reaction is hysterical.

English won out because they killed most of the natives and assimilated the rest.

Same as here.
    Good thing they did. The United States did a great service to humanity when they established the idea of equality before the law in the same period when Irish were being burned out of their homes by the English. Sure the country was built on the blood of native Americans but if it wasn't these ideas would have been lost with Napoleon. Funny world we live in these things aren't black and white.

And are you forgetting the "British" part of North America was much smaller then the French and Spanish parts? The Americans themselves who had no official language have the majority responsibility for what happened to the natives.

Ya lets all be a copy of Americans... I think you'll have a long wait before anything happens to funding or policy on mandatory Irish and English in school. The Oireachtas is made up of far to many former teachers for any removal in the next few years... The gaeilscoils popping up over the country will increase participation in Irish eventually!
    They have the better idea. Why not copy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

Go for it lad, see what happens.

The fascism of English language supremacism.

This is about a minority language being talked a bit more on the streets. The reaction is hysterical.

There's more to it & you know it.

• Advertisement

Good thing they did.

Its a good thing that the US killed thousands upon thousands of Native Americans? Thats utterly disgusting.

Stained Class, or No Class? :pac:

Good thing they did. The United States did a great service to humanity when they established the idea of equality before the law in the same period when Irish were being burned out of their homes by the English. Sure the country was built on the blood of native Americans but if it wasn't these ideas would have been lost with Napoleon. Funny world we live in these things aren't black and white.

And are you forgetting the "British" part of North America was much smaller then the French and Spanish parts? The Americans themselves who had no official language have the majority responsibility for what happened to the natives.

Equality before the law for Anglo Saxons. As opposed to say blacks( unequal in law until segregation ended)

you've also gotten Napoleanic law wrong and who was fighting in the Napoleanic war ( not the US which owed it's existence to revolutionary France to begin with).

I was going to give you a reply on the points you put forward earlier but after this I'm going to leave it. It's not worth talking to you, you're just trying to get a reaction now and it's sad to say the least

Have fun paying for my hobby your native language for the rest of your life. Have a good one pal agus go n-éirí leat :)

An Coilean wrote: »
    Its a good thing that the US killed thousands upon thousands of Native Americans? Thats utterly disgusting.
    Yes, I know it's harsh to say. But imagine a world were they hadn't. The US would be split between various countries with cultural boundaries. The American idea of equality before the law and rights they were laid down in the constitution would never have been developed.

Go for it lad, see what happens.

It seems that you're backing the losing & not to mention the dead, decaying rotting creature of a horse that was once an active spoken language here.

This is no longer the case.

G-e-t o-v-e-r i-t!

I'm Paying for your hobby & don't be a thief to the rest of us.

Dipping into our pockets everyday & anyday to keep you the likes of you happy.

Equality before the law for Anglo Saxons. As opposed to say blacks( unequal in law until segregation ended)

you've also gotten Napoleanic law wrong and who was fighting in the Napoleanic war ( not the US which owed it's existence to revolutionary France to begin with).

Actually it was pre-revolutionary France, strange to think of a Monarchy aiding the foundation of a Republic but the enemy of my enemy and all that.

What I mean is electoral democracy was overthrown in France but kept alive in America. Do you think the various Indian nations would have been democracies?

It seems that you're backing the losing & not to mention the dead, decaying rotting creature of a horse that was once an active spoken language here.

G-e-t o-v-e-r i-t!

Pay for your hobby & don't be a thief to the rest of us.

Ya, keep spouting your ill informed bile, see who cares.

G-e-t o-v-e-r i-t!

I'm Paying for your hobby & don't be a thief to the rest of us.

Yes and we'll be dipping into the pockets of Mr and Mrs "Class" :rolleyes: for the rest of your lives so as the Irish language isn't going to go away soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Yes, I know it's harsh to say. But imagine a world were they hadn't. The US would be split between various countries with cultural boundaries. The American idea of equality before the law and rights they were laid down in the constitution would never have been developed.
    So at what stage should you stop killing people who are inconvenient? Do you have a nice round number?

So at what stage should you stop killing people who are inconvenient? Do you have a nice round number?
    No. I don't.

What I mean is electoral democracy was overthrown in France but kept alive in America. Do you think the various Indian nations would have been democracies?

So what if they were not or would not have been, that takes their right to life away somehow does it?

Essentially what you are saying is if you don't live how I think you should, then I can kill you, take your land and deny you your rights.

Ya, keep spouting your ill informed bile, see who cares.

Not bile, it's fact.

Why waste time, effort & money on your hobby?

To make you happy?

In 1922 resourses were diverted from the Irish primary school system from the teaching of Scicnce to headbutt the kids with teaching them Irish, your hobby.

Wasn't that a great idea? I mean seriously. Was'nt that a great idea?:confused:

Still happy with it? A shure as long as you're happy on your Hobbyhorse, what else matters?

I love my hobby horse, he can say Irish phrases like "Níl clú ag Stained "Class" cad a bhfuil sé ag caint faoi" :)

ginger-hobby-horse-1.jpg

Not bile, it's fact.

Facts need to be supported by evidence. That's where you fail. ;)

Yes and we'll be dipping into the pockets of Mr and Mrs "Class" :rolleyes: for the rest of your lives so as the Irish language isn't going to go away soon :)

Shure as long as you're happy on your hobbyhorse, well, that's all that matters.

The whole story & attitude of the Irish language movement told in one single sentance.

Nice one!

So what if they were not or would not have been, that takes their right to life away somehow does it?

Essentially what you are saying is if you don't live how I think you should, then I can kill you, take your land and deny you your rights.
    No of course I'm not. Of course genocide is wrong, I'm just saying that if America had not been formed the liberalist idea of representative democracy would have been lost with Napoleon. Perhaps it would have been taken up later by another state but I doubt it at least not for a very long time, we needed that catalyst to spark it.

But no of course no genocide is ever good.

• Advertisement

I love my hobby horse, he can say Irish phrases like "Níl clú ag Stained "Class" cad a bhfuil sé ag caint faoi" :)

ginger-hobby-horse-1.jpg

Hmmm, I'll enjoy pulling that rotten tooth out of the head of a dazed country.

I've got my pliers ready.:)

Freedom to choose!

No of course I'm not. Of course genocide is wrong, I'm just saying that if America had not been formed the liberalist idea of representative democracy would have been lost with Napoleon. Perhaps it would have been taken up later by another state but I doubt it at least not for a very long time, we needed that catalyst to spark it.

But no of course no genocide is ever good.

Several things, America became a Republic before France did. Napoleon got rid of Democracy in France and declared himself emperor and not ten minutes ago you said what the US did to the Indians was good.

Democracy was neither an American Idea nor was it confined to America. and even if it was, that still does not justify genocide.

Several things, America became a Republic before France did. Napoleon got rid of Democracy in France and declared himself emperor and not ten minutes ago you said what the US did to the Indians was good.

Democracy was neither an American Idea nor was it confined to America. and even if it was, that still does not justify genocide.
    I know that. That's my point America is the worlds oldest continuous republic. A republic that wouldn't exist if the Indians weren't forced off their land. Everything in history isn't black and white. You can't always find a goody and a bady.

Freedom to choose!

Never going to happen buddy. Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam and all that. :)

Brazil has no soul guys...

I know that. That's my point America is the worlds oldest continuous republic. A republic that wouldn't exist if the Indians weren't forced off their land. Everything in history isn't black and white. You can't always find a goody and a bady.

I'm sorry but having what from our point of view is a nice political system does not give you the right to subjugate another people.

• Advertisement

Freedom to choose!

Good luck with that. :D:rolleyes::D

I'm sorry but having what from our point of view is a nice political system does not give you the right to subjugate another people.
    Never said it did, I'm saying that in retrospect detaching yourself emotionally from it it was beneficial to society as a whole because it gave us our new political system. Don't forget at the time the US constitution was being drafted the Irish were being burned out of their homes.

As long as you & yours is longing to pay for your own freakshow, it's good with me.

Just don't rob the rest of us blind ...........buddy.:)

As long as you & yours is longing to pay for your own freakshow, it's good with me.

Just don't rob the rest of us blind ...........buddy.:)

But you're paying as well? :)

Never said it did, I'm saying that in retrospect detaching yourself emotionally from it it was beneficial to society as a whole because it gave us our new political system. Don't forget at the time the US constitution was being drafted the Irish were being burned out of their homes.

Ya and when they were being burned out of their homes the Times ran a headline predicting that 'The Gael will soon be as rare in Ireland as the Indian on the banks of the Potomac'.

But maybe society is better off for that too?

• Advertisement
Advertisement