Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So its Bliain na Gaeilge now is it.

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

[QUOTE=An Coilean;82445910]Haha, it would be funny if it weren't so grossly ill-informed. You seem to think that Irish speaking is some kind of vehical for an isolationaist catholic Ireland.

The reality is quite different though, there has never been a shortage of modern music as Gaeilge, that's as true today as it was when 'Always on my mind' was being sung as Gaeilge back in the 70's

The kind of Irish dancing you are referring to is actually quite a recent invention and indeed it was developed specifically for purity and to be acceptable to the Church, but it is not particularly associated with the Irish speaking community, in fact it was more in the Garrison towns that it took off than in Irish speaking areas, the older and freer Sean Nós dancing was and is preferred choice for Irish speakers, when their not falling around the place in coppers of course ;)

Feel free to have what ever prejudices you want, but I hope you can recognize them for what they are.[/QUOTE]

You might be right, I'm probably not that well informed when it comes to Irish speakers, being Dublin born and bred I've never had the privilege of meeting one, save for teachers, politicians, and priests.
    Though not 'Always On My Mind', I somehow make this ridiculous connection between:
    Irish Nationalism
    The GAA
    The Roman Catholic Church
    The Irish Language Movement

Mad stuff I know, but there you are.

By the way, I've never heard of "freer Sean Nos dancing", however, it does indeed sound racy and not a little wild, does it in any way resemble 'Gangnam style'?

Happy New Year
    Athbhliain faoi mhaise duit! ;)

By the way, I've never heard of "freer Sean Nos dancing", however, it does indeed sound racy and not a little wild, does it in any way resemble 'Gangnam style'?

Happy New Year
    Athbhliain faoi mhaise duit!

Did you just see the Hong Kong new year celebrations! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Did you just see the Hong Kong new year celebrations! :D

Were they 'freer Sean Nos' dancing over there too, good luck to them!

Advertisement