Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raised Ockey

• 20-12-2012 3:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Has anyone ever made their own raised ockey? Is it relatively easy to do,even for someone not technically gifted when it comes to carpentry? Any tips for what I need?

Being out of work I want to give myself something to do on the cheap,and this would be brilliant I think.well at least I know I'd get value out of it..

I'm thinking the ones used at the IPC/IDC comps are exactly what I'd aim for..but maybe foldable if possible..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

What's the standard height for an ochey or is there one? Some 3x2, plywood and some felt might do the job with some folding brackets in the middle (or in 3 sections) should be straight forward enough.

If you were planning on making a few buying a skill save for the plywood might be your biggest, but most worthwhile, outlay. Materials wise you could probably make 2 or 3 for ~ €100 if you know some hardware stores or building supplies that are good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 the_ferreter

You could probably buy the materials for around €60 to make one and you could have it folding too with some hinges in the middle....easy enough project to do. Not sure on yur location but if near Cork City only too willing to lend a hand, ive all the tools needed as i run a maintenance business ......wouldnt be charging i like doing projects with people

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DartBhoy1888

You could probably buy the materials for around €60 to make one and you could have it folding too with some hinges in the middle....easy enough project to do. Not sure on yur location but if near Cork City only too willing to lend a hand, ive all the tools needed as i run a maintenance business ......wouldnt be charging i like doing projects with people

Thanks very much for the offer..I'm not in cork,but have one or two mates who said they'd lend a hand..ill post up pics if we get the job done.thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

If you use plywood for the platform what would you use to support it from underneath. I'm thinking that it would sag and it would be very noisy to step on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

B&Q do pre cut widths of mdf 2 lengths of that and 2 full lengths of 3 x 2 your sorted.....9mm mdf will do 18mm be to heavy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 the_ferreter

Wils110 wrote: »
    B&Q do pre cut widths of mdf 2 lengths of that and 2 full lengths of 3 x 2 your sorted.....9mm mdf will do 18mm be to heavy

Aye B&Q do a free cutting service on there sheets of timber. Very handy and saves a lot of headaches cutting it yourself. I would go thicker than 9mm MDF though especially if your walking on it ....you would need a lot of timber supports underneath using such a small thickness.....would be very springy underfoot.

Advertisement