Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a certified copy of my visa

Options
  • 20-12-2012 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

My application for the Medicare levy exemption has been rejected because they need a certified copy of my visa. How do I get that?

I was in the country when my visa was granted so I didn't have to get anything on my passport, all I got was a confirmation email from DIAC with all the details on it, which I submitted and they rejected.

I didn't know a visa was a physical thing, I thought it was just electronically paired with my passport and that would be all I'd ever need.

So does anyone know what I need here or how I get it?

Cheers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I've not heard of this problem before. I suggest contacting DIAC and asking if they will endorse something on your passport if you bring it in to them. Then you can get a certified copy of your passport to show to the ATO.

If DIAC say they won't endorse your passport, get them to write to you saying that it is not necessary for your visa to be endorsed on your passport, and then show that to the ATO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Sounds like you were just unlucky with who you got at the counter. Id say just go back and try again.

Similar thing happened to me except the woman who was at the desk insisted that the visa I was getting was not for permanent residence and that I wasn't entitled to Medicare. I told her it was and explained it all to her but she wouldn't listen to me. I was fuming and stormed out. Outside I looked up the immigration website on my phone and brought up the visa I was getting so I could prove that it was. I went back in but this time I was seen by a different person who just put it straight through with no problem and never mentioned anything about it being the wrong visa. Maybe you got the same fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

What visa are you on Essien?.

If you are on a WHV, then you would have gotten a copy of your visa through visa first or other. If you are on a 457, you would have got a copy of your visa when the 457 was granted.

All you have to do is bring that visa to a justice of the peace to get signed and certified, send it to medicare and that is it. I got mine certified by a pharmacist this year.

The confirmation email from DIAC is probably the visa, though you didn't get it certified?.

Advertisement